Michael Keane

DELBY
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Wasn't Leicester after him during the summer? 

Seems to be starting to develop well in a settled environment after being shipped around on loan a lot at the start of his career.

I don't object to the idea of signing him but other than his homegrown status I'm not sure what he offers us? We have Zouma and Christenson as our promising young defenders and he's not good enough to become first choice (straight away) to replace Cahill or Terry.

I think what we need is a top quality player (or 4) to come right into the first team. We've already got some promising up and coming players of our own, if we sign more they will just end up on the loan stockpile.

Even once JT goes and if we're writing off Cahill, we have Luiz, Zouma and Christensen who should see us through the next decade, I actually think CB is one of our least problematic areas.

Plus this signing would have a very Cahill-esque flavour to me, another decent yet unspectacular English CB playing for a relegation candidate, the main difference seemingly being that he wouldn't come with Cahill's very reasonable price tag.

Unless we are doing something really stupid ( could happen), we will have Luiz/Zouma/Christensen for next season. The first 2 are proven EPL players, Christensen is still a bit of unknown in EPL despite his success on loan. If Zouma could get back to where he was before he he got injured, we have a decent ( not title winning) defender group. I remember we have this Nigerian CD on loan somewhere, not sure if he's good enough, so he could potentially be the 4th defender. The real problem is leadership and awareness at the back, something Luiz/Zouma don't have. For that reason, I think we will pursue a senior defencer instead of Kane next season, not saying we won't get him, but..

i know nothing about the guy, but if we're willing to spend £25mil on a relatively nobody why just add another £10million reckon we can get van djik in january before barcelona/ other big clubs poach him 

the guy is a monster, he got the physique, the athleticism, the IQ, and most important, he has leadership quality, watched a lot of saints game this season and he always talk, trying to organize the defensive line, something that we will miss massively when JT retire

Keane would be another useless signing to make up squad numbers.  What the team needs now is a central defender of first team caliber.  However, it's not surprising that the Board would look at such transfers as that's all they are willing to spend on nowadays - mediocre players with lower price tags.  They are not going to break the bank for any top quality player.

Haven't seen enough of this guy to make a solid judgment. But it smacks of us targeting an overpriced English defender to fill up the HQ quota, we have much better prospects in Zouma & Christensen and with the likes of Tomori and Clarke-Salter to come through there'd be no point in this signing.