Chelsea's title credentials

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We are not favourites, we are still abotu 6/1, last time I looked. I stuck a tenner on us at the start of the season and we were 7/1.

If we keep playing like we did on saturday, we will be champions, on our day when we play like that, we can beat anyone.

On Saturday I was amazed, I am struggling to think of a time where I have seen us so dominant in every single way in all my time watching the blues.

My only slight concern is that we burn out from all that extra running etc. Perhaps he'll find it hard to rotate the team if the first 11 are doing so well.  More twists to come no doubt. 

I don't expect the title this season, we are still a work in progress with several areas we need to improve on to become a proper title challenger IMO.

We are playing well and some of the performances like the weekend are highly impressive but we were still outclassed by 2 of the bigger sides in Arsenal and Liverpool who beat us with ease so there is still work to be done.

Right now Liverpool look a more consistent side who like us are scoring goals for fun. City are stuttering a little which is surprising given the riches and squad they have but I expect them to go on a run sooner or later.

I'd bite your hand off for a top 4 finish and a cup...it's more likely we will just get the top 4 and that would be signs of progress over last season.

We are title favourites for a day then Liverpool spanked Watford and the media then shifter that tag onto them. If we loose in the next game they will start to dig into us and Conte again...I don't tend to take notice of the media as it's either fantastic or crisis....there is no in-between.

Still don't think we'll win the league - the boys can do nothing more after losing against Arsenal/Liverpool but we still only have 3pts against top opposition (United/Arsenal/Liverpool). If we manage at least 4pts from Spurs/City I'll start to believe but given the quality of the opposition I'll still be content just to make top 4 this year.

Edited by the special one

1 hour ago, Chelsbear said:

I don't expect the title this season, we are still a work in progress with several areas we need to improve on to become a proper title challenger IMO.

We are playing well and some of the performances like the weekend are highly impressive but we were still outclassed by 2 of the bigger sides in Arsenal and Liverpool who beat us with ease so there is still work to be done.

Right now Liverpool look a more consistent side who like us are scoring goals for fun. City are stuttering a little which is surprising given the riches and squad they have but I expect them to go on a run sooner or later.

I'd bite your hand off for a top 4 finish and a cup...it's more likely we will just get the top 4 and that would be signs of progress over last season.

We are title favourites for a day then Liverpool spanked Watford and the media then shifter that tag onto them. If we loose in the next game they will start to dig into us and Conte again...I don't tend to take notice of the media as it's either fantastic or crisis....there is no in-between.

I think the only reason we got beat is because we were playing the 4-2-3-1 with Ivan etc and it wasnt working.

We look a totally different prospect now. 

26 minutes ago, Zola said:

I think the only reason we got beat is because we were playing the 4-2-3-1 with Ivan etc and it wasnt working.

We look a totally different prospect now. 

We certainly wouldn't get beat as badly or play as poorly now that our confidence is up and our style changed.

I'm still not sure if we would win those games though, Liverpool are very strong and like us are playing excellent football. Arsenal is a tough one, they can look great one week and then no so the other.

Our team are still in the early stages under Conte so we will have some poor results as most would (even City at the weekend) but what we are seeing is a new brand of exciting and effective football which we have rarely seen in the past 18 months.

I think our next game against the bigger sides (City I think it is?) will be a good indicator of where we are in terms of challenging for the title. I'm not trying to downplay what we have been doing the past few months because we have been playing very well and picking up points in tough places which is fantastic.

I'm still focusing on a top 4 finish, anything else is a bonus for me.

We're playing like a team that is capable of winning the title.

In saying that, my expectations of the season was to finish in the top 4 and anything else in terms of winning trophies was a bonus in my mind. Conte has exceeded expectations so far but there's a long way to go.

ATM we are a formidable prospect for any side. 

However, despite the brilliance of our current performances and Conte's managerial excellence, our side is not really built for a 3-4-3 overall. Alonso and especially Moses are vital to our system and there is relatively little cover for them, especially Alonso. If they should get injured, there may be problems. 

It also seems that JT and Ivanovic are not really suitable for a 3-man formation either. JT could sub in for Luiz in theory but playing a high line then would be foolhardy because he has no pace. 

That being said, we do have a significant advantage over most of the rest because we have no CL or EL football to contend with. 

Nonetheless, I'm cautious about our title prospects, especially since the season is still relatively young. Maybe after the January transfer window things will be a bit clearer, maybe not. We'll see...

One important factor in our favour that I think gets forgotten sometimes, is that nearly all this squad knows what it takes to win the league, they've been there and done it, dippers, arse, and y*ds have no experience of winning it and city have quite a few who haven't won it, Could make a difference come April and may next year. I thought before season started we had a very good chance of winning, after the arse game I changed my tune, now I'm coming round to my original thoughts again.

23 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

Have you thought about seeing the doctor?

Id love to be wrong, but when Alderwierld is fit they are ridiculously hard to break down and in the autumn winter months Kane scores almost a goal a game. I don't think they will win it but i am wary of them going on a run due to the defense and there Gooner forward.

I watched the Liverpool highlights last night and I wasn't too impressed by them. Although they won by a big margin, Watford were truly awful. The football wasn't particularly sincilating either. 

Compare that to our game, Everton are actually a really good team with an excellent manager. Our defence is much better than Liverpool's and City's as well.

Not saying that we will win it but we should finish in the top 4 easily looking at the teams. I think like Conte said, let's get to Christmas and see where we are.  

On 08/11/2016 at 00:18, enigma said:

Honestly don't mind if we don't win it. top four was always our aim and still is. it would be fantastic to win the league but it's going to come a point where we struggle, maybe get key injuries, dip in form etc. 

I'm the same, obviously winning the league would be amazing maybe even better than when we won it in 2014/2015 but in all honesty top 4 will be the aim I can't bear another season without us being in champions league every time the champions league has been on this year I feel fed up and just want to hide until it's over 

Can't have the same again next year 

League would be amazing top 4 is a must 

• 3 months later...

Just now, havelschayes said:

magic number is down to 26, if city somehow win all their remaining games we will need 9 wins / 8 wins and 2 draws to clinch the title

I was rapping w/ @The Brit about this topic - he agrees w/ you on this - I am a bit more myopic & I believe 19 points will do it - I still believe both spuz & the blue mancs will drop points, which will only enhance our current standing - when I think about how this season is turning out, it's better than I originally planned - I thought The Top 4 was in the cards, but to challenge for a title? Get de phuck out!!! I never in my wildest dreams believe we would be sitting in this position today