Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Barrettinator

Virgil Van Dijk

Was reported to have a 25m release clause but Southampton are denying it and have apparently put a 40m price tag on him

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/southampton-want-40million-manchester-city-9450313

I tend to think 30m will get him. No reason Chelsea shouldn't be going after this lad. Very solid CB although I do worry if he's going to be the nail in the coffin for Christensen.

Thoughts?

Zouma, Cahill, Christensen, Luiz and Azpi are all going to be going after those 3 spots (If we keep Conte and this formation) We would expect those above players to still have a few years left in them at the top (Cahill and Luiz).

I don't see a huge need for a CB just now especially if Zouma hasn't suffered long term effects of his injury.

DonAntonio, Jezz and PedroMendez like this

Good player, not convinced we need him. Right now we have JT/Zouma/Ivanovic can't even get a game, assume Van Diijk will coming in as a starter, we'd have 4 central defenders on the bench. Next season we will probably lose JT/Ivanovic, but Christensen should and will come back, so we will still have 3 quality CDs on the bench or out of the team. We could use another central midfielder, currently it's a 3 men rotation for the 2 spots.

he's a natural leader, constantly trying to organize the defense, has that rare ability to command the backline like JT, something that all our cb's doesn't have

also as a lot of people know an absolute mutant of a human being, unbelievable athleticism for his size complete that with his unreal passing ability, a definition of a modern center back

i know we're pretty well-stocked in the cb department but if we have the chance to sign him it would be an absolute travesty not to

Should only go for him if Zouma has had real detrimental effects of his injury. Next season we SHOULD have Azpi, Cahill, Luiz, Christensen and Zouma competing for 3 spots which is more than healthy in my opinion. Van Dijk's a good player but would rather see Zouma/Christensen step up.

19 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

He's not in better form than our starting CB's.

He'd be bench material

i don't know how to break this to you, but form is temporary? besides if we're talking about current form, individually he's definitely in better form than cahill, there's a reason why he's being praised non stop by the media, and chelsea city united are circling around him

and saying he's 'bench material' is just ridiculous

Van Butsen likes this

1 hour ago, DonAntonio said:

I agree we are stacked for cb's but we struggled against Tottenham and city because we only have 1 ball playing cb and we couldn't pass out beyong the press, we need 2, at least, garry is getting on, VD, luiz and Dave would be some back 3. 

Andreas and Ake are both ball playing CBs.

Add zouma/GC/DL/azpi and we are pretty much set in the CB department. Hardly a scenario where we should be breaking the bank for another player.

3 hours ago, didierforever said:

Andreas and Ake are both ball playing CBs.

Add zouma/GC/DL/azpi and we are pretty much set in the CB department. Hardly a scenario where we should be breaking the bank for another player.

Ake not good enough yet and Andreas wouldn't put Garry out the team at the moment, since it's not our money but Romans if spend it if we want to be elite, especially as oscar is going to net us 50-60 mil