Virgil Van Dijk

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 minutes ago, abramovich said:

It always seemed odd to me why he would want to go there. These days Pool isn't even guaranteed to play in the CL regularly, let alone compete for trophies.

Not sure anyone is nailed on for top four now - including us.  In a WC year Pool probably does offer more certainty in terms of playing time (certainly post Rudiger).

Even if he wants us, i'll stay away from footballers that show a total lack of professionalism and respect for their contract, club and its fans. I'm always one to support players leaving if they see a better club approach and have stated that several times on this forum, especially seeing as they will get ditched for another player the club likes if such comes along. That's why its a team sport, and a football squad. You might be first choice, might not be. However the club isn't gonna get someone else and hang you out to dry like; don't let you train with the rest of your team mates or don't pay your wages. You will still get your due, so it must be a two way street. Even if you fancy a move elsewhere, respect your contract and behave like a professional. Even when you hand in a transfer request, its not a guarantee they let you go (most tend to but just to avoid causing squad disharmony if the player becomes disruptive)they can keep or sell you. You signed a contract you';re not even a quarter way into yet behaving this way. All those supporting this, I see your view but i disagree. Imagine Hazard doing that. Negotiating with Real on the Sly since the end of last season and when Chelsea find out and report to the UEFA, he starts to act up. Never the right way. 

Guest Sindre

Van Dijk would free up Luiz for midfield in an emergency situation. Right now we need Luiz in defence no matter what since no one can take his position. Van Dijk could do it.

1 minute ago, Sindre said:

Van Dijk would free up Luiz for midfield in an emergency situation. Right now we need Luiz in defence no matter what since no one can take his position. Van Dijk could do it.

Yup. I think VVD could relegate Luiz to the bench...

Surely we have better options than signing VVD to shunt Luiz into midfield?

We're being linked with Drinkwater so I doubt that would be the case. I think if we're going to sign VVD then it'll be to replace Azpi, and Dave replaces Alonso or Moses.

Either way he makes the squad stronger. It is puzzling though we desperately need more players in every other position!

Just now, abister1 said:

Even if he wants us, i'll stay away from footballers that show a total lack of professionalism and respect for their contract, club and its fans. I'm always one to support players leaving if they see a better club approach and have stated that several times on this forum, especially seeing as they will get ditched for another player the club likes if such comes along. That's why its a team sport, and a football squad. You might be first choice, might not be. However the club isn't gonna get someone else and hang you out to dry like; don't let you train with the rest of your team mates or don't pay your wages. You will still get your due, so it must be a two way street. Even if you fancy a move elsewhere, respect your contract and behave like a professional. Even when you hand in a transfer request, its not a guarantee they let you go (most tend to but just to avoid causing squad disharmony if the player becomes disruptive)they can keep or sell you. You signed a contract you';re not even a quarter way into yet behaving this way. All those supporting this, I see your view but i disagree. Imagine Hazard doing that. Negotiating with Real on the Sly since the end of last season and when Chelsea find out and report to the UEFA, he starts to act up. Never the right way. 

You have a very noble view of the world but in the professional football players often have to act selfish in order to get the move they want. As an example, I remember Essien going on strike at Lyon to join us back in 2005.

Just now, startedwithglenn said:

Think he's conducted himself terribly, don't want him.

He's the captain of Southampton and acting like this, poor show.

Exactly my point. NO loyalty to your club whatsoever. Your team mates, your fan and you are arguably their most important player.

1 minute ago, abramovich said:

You have a very noble view of the world but in the professional football players often have to act selfish in order to get the move they want. As an example, I remember Essien going on strike at Lyon to join us back in 2005.

I understand that. I'm an advocate for seizing opportunities when they come around. I don't agree with the methods sometimes used. Its absolute dog sh*t coward tactics. Neymar just got his move after a protracted saga(yes i know its a release clause that was activated) but we never heard of such. Bale misbehaved at Spurs as well when leaving but it was more words than actual actions. Ronaldo to Real, etc.Several players bigger than him have got their move without taking this path. I understand why they do it, doesn't mean i agree with it or want such a player.

9 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

I don't get why people complain so much about players with attitude problems but then turn a blind eye to Costa...

Not everyone turns a blind eye to Costa. He is vile and disgusting, doesn't mean i don't appreciate what he does for Chelsea. I don't have a choice as the club bought him. I will support him doesn't mean i want him in my club. I only warmed up to him (character wise) in the first half of last season, when he became disciplined and more of a sport. That must have been due to Conte drawing the line. He crossed the line in January and that's why there was all that furore where Conte was said to have told him to go to China. Knowing Conte that's when he made the call which has been all revealed recently. 

Because my son is a thief, doesn't mean i won't acknowledge or call out thieving as a bad thing to do.

Edited by abister1

Just now, Sheva said:

He mentions top clubs and the rumour going round is that Southampton don't want to sell to Liverpool. I think we are in the running as we've been linked strongly a couple of days ago.

Exactly.
What better way to get revenge on the club that's taken most of your players and have tried to tap up a player still remaining than to sell to one of their rivals. 

I honestly don't think we are in for him. It would almost certainly mean Azpilicueta plays as right wing back, which im not as negative about as some fans, but conte has barely used him there so far. 

He will most probably end up at Liverpool, he seems to really want to work with klopp. 

If he does somehow end up here, we will be solid defensively especially with Azpiliucueta moving to wing back. 

Think he's conducted himself terribly, don't want him.
He's the captain of Southampton and acting like this, poor show.
Read his statement. He has talked to manager earlier that he is very ambutious and if a window opens he might move on. It has happened and he wants to move on to play probably at his level. I have no qualms and hope he gets his chance.

I don't see we actually need to strenghten CB dept but if Conte needs him then by all means.

If Chelsea wasn't such a big club we could have probably seen JT, Frankie, Drogba leave much earlier. Just the way it goes.

45 minutes ago, Zeta said:

I thought it was pretty clear he only wants to go to Liverpool? Not sure why it's even being discussed.

Not sure you are right. 

If you read his staement he refers in the plural to clubs being interested in him.

Its abundantly clear that he wants out and the earlier statement from Liverpool saying that we're ending all interest in the player in effect would have to be withdrawn and with the apparent bad blood between the player and Southampton and Southampton and Liverpool isn't conducive to any sort of amicable discussions. I am not sure Liverpool are in any position to risk further sanctions regarding tapping up and if Liverpool rekindle their interest it would potentaily create a shi* storm.

I am not sure where he will end up but he won't stay at Southampton.

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

I thought it was pretty clear he only wants to go to Liverpool? Not sure why it's even being discussed.

Yes that's what I thought, and anyway city would be after him as well, so we have no chance, people moaning about Drinkwater but I'm afraid he's the level we as a club are buying now

1 minute ago, chi blue said:

Yes that's what I thought, and anyway city would be after him as well, so we have no chance, people moaning about Drinkwater but I'm afraid he's the level we as a club are buying now

Well yes the club needs depth and bench players whats the point of signing a player for £60m that isn't even likely to play