Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting


Barrettinator

Virgil Van Dijk

143 posts in this topic

He would have played in Europe with Celtic, wouldn't he? I haven't actually checked - I can't remember how Celtic did in Europe when he was there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

He would have played in Europe with Celtic, wouldn't he? I haven't actually checked - I can't remember how Celtic did in Europe when he was there.

Probably spanked in the group stages but got a draw with Barca at some point... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

25 years old, just one and a half seasons played in a top league, no champions league experience, only twelve caps for his national team having not played at any finals.

As I say for the transfer fee being quoted you'd expect a player to check a few of those boxes. Just don't think he's worth it personally. 

For me he is the best CB in the league right now, and what's important is he is PL tested, we have offered far more for players that haven't even set foot in the PL, he has played in the PL, Dutch National Team and in the Champions league as well as the Europa league, if anyone was more tested than that you think they would be for sale? Experienced, league proven and can develop, exactly what we want. 

Edited by DonAntonio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

For me he is the best CB in the league right now, and what's important is he is PL tested, we have offered far more for players that haven't even set foot in the PL, he has played in the PL, Dutch National Team and in the Champions league as well as the Europa league, if anyone was more tested than that you think they would be for sale? Experienced, league proven and can develop, exactly what we want. 

I think you're overselling the importance of having played in the Premier League personally.

Not sure what he's done/is doing for you to rate him as the best centre back in league as of right now (personally I'd give that to David Luiz based on current form).

As I said earlier for the fee being touted, up to £40m, I think you could buy better or I think the club would be perfectly capable of scouting a player of equal or better ability for less money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good player, but with Zouma, Christensen & Ake as well as our current trio and Terry/Ivanovic providing mentorship there's no reason to spend this much on another CB. We should focus on WB's, B2B and possibly another RW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I think you're overselling the importance of having played in the Premier League personally.

Not sure what he's done/is doing for you to rate him as the best centre back in league as of right now (personally I'd give that to David Luiz based on current form).

As I said earlier for the fee being touted, up to £40m, I think you could buy better or I think the club would be perfectly capable of scouting a player of equal or better ability for less money.

I think you're overselling the importance of having played in the Premier League personally. Tell Cuadrado that

Not sure what he's done/is doing for you to rate him as the best centre back in league as of right now: watch him play and you will see why he is in so many peoples teams of the season and why he is so highly rated.

If we were desperate for Koulibaly at 60 mil and couldnt get him then 40 is a good deal for VVD and he sh*ts on teh 50 million John Stones that we also couldn't get. To put it in perspective Arsenal paid 35 mil for Mustafi, i'd bite their hand off at 40 mil for VVD, he would be a first pick CB for the next 6 years at least, and most importantly we arent just after a CB but a ball playing CB, because without that we are susceptible to the high pres, hence the spuds penned us in for the whole first half because we couldn't pass out from the back quick enough, now if there is a CB of his ball playing capabilities, that can defend as well as he does with his huge physical presence and his experience for 40 mil, please show me I'm all for buying that guy too, but I don't think he is exists and if he does he is not available.

Him and Luiz as CB not a single ball would be won by an opposition forward in the air, highlights don't tell much but look at the guy's physicality, the way he positions himself and moves, he is pure class, I want this player as bad as I want Verati.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

For me he is the best CB in the league right now, and what's important is he is PL tested, we have offered far more for players that haven't even set foot in the PL, he has played in the PL, Dutch National Team and in the Champions league as well as the Europa league, if anyone was more tested than that you think they would be for sale? Experienced, league proven and can develop, exactly what we want. 

Tbh its hard to take the PL proven notion seriously since we choose "PL proven" Torres over Aguero.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonAntonio said:

Tell Cuadrado that

I'm sorry but that's such a straw man argument. 

Cuadradro was just a bad player, nothing to do with the league. There are countless examples of players coming to a top four side in the Premier League and having an instant impact. I don't need to tell you this because you surely already know it. 

dkw and Chelsbear like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, with the sheer number of players who have come in from foreign leagues, it's not hard to pick out several to fit whatever argument you're trying to make.

 

(Prior Premier League experience isn't important): 'Well just look at Bergkamp/Kanté/Robben/Costa (etc.)'

(Prior Premier League experience is important): 'Well just look at Veron/Brolin/Soldado/Shevchenko (etc.)'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm firmly in the don't really need him camp, whilst I think he would add to th squad and would probably fit in ahead of Zouna, Terry, Ivan, I don't think he is any better than Cahill, so would only provide a rotation option. I also think whilst BPL experience is useful playing for a bigger club requires slightly different attributes. An example I would give for this is Cahill himself looked like the dogs bollocks at Bolton but then a lot less impressive at Chelsea what worries me about van dijk is his concentration during games and it will only be made worse by having less to do. 

Would still likely be a good signing if we make it but at the price we would have to pay is he worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I'm sorry but that's such a straw man argument. 

Cuadradro was just a bad player, nothing to do with the league. There are countless examples of players coming to a top four side in the Premier League and having an instant impact. I don't need to tell you this because you surely already know it. 

Juve and Colombia seem to like him, even got a fifa cover, I think to say he is a bad player is way off. Other than Torres and Cech who sells a top player to their rivals? Give me some examples of players doing great in the PL moving and not being good, look at players like Mane and Lillana, they slot right in look far better, Southampton is a good club to buy from and if players dont do well it could be the new system, the manager, loss in form, it's not a guarantee a Pl player will do better in another club, but who ever said it was,  some players cant adapt well to the league, look how long it took drogba, look how good Michy was last year 19 goals and we cant give him a game even when Diego isn't available,  there are some players that find the change in pace hard to deal with, Malanga and Otamendi were top CB's before going to city, it's not the biggest factor but then I never said it was, it's one of many pro's VVD has that i mentioned that is being focused on, being proven in the PL is a bonus, I think it's impossible to say its not, but detracting from the point, he is an experienced young CB, physically imposing, ball playing, great tackler, at 40 mil he is a good deal and a good edition...may I ask your reservation with him? And who you would prefer that is a ball playing CB for that money? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PedroMendez said:

I'm firmly in the don't really need him camp, whilst I think he would add to th squad and would probably fit in ahead of Zouna, Terry, Ivan, I don't think he is any better than Cahill, so would only provide a rotation option. I also think whilst BPL experience is useful playing for a bigger club requires slightly different attributes. An example I would give for this is Cahill himself looked like the dogs bollocks at Bolton but then a lot less impressive at Chelsea what worries me about van dijk is his concentration during games and it will only be made worse by having less to do. 

Would still likely be a good signing if we make it but at the price we would have to pay is he worth it

Again and again I said it, we need a ball playing CB garry is not, he is terrible with teh ball at his feet, this system is thwarted when you have a high press team  and CB's who cant play out fast and accurately, it ruins your whole system,  wingbacks cant push up, you end up a 5 at the back  with 3 cb's marking a striker and the rest of teh team pinning you in like against Tottenham, we were very vulnerable against city we were clinical on the counted but they ripped us to pieces we were all over the place, 9 out of 10 KDB buries that chance and we were done, teams that put pressure and push stop our wingbacks have showed our frailties, a ball playing CB and a box to box CM beside kante make those problems go away, and although we arent conceding its for those reasons conte still wants a ball playing CB he knows its our weakness and although matic is playing well, it's why he wants a CM that will carry the ball out from defence and start teh attack, those 2 things make a world of difference in big games against good teams 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

To be fair, with the sheer number of players who have come in from foreign leagues, it's not hard to pick out several to fit whatever argument you're trying to make.

 

(Prior Premier League experience isn't important): 'Well just look at Bergkamp/Kanté/Robben/Costa (etc.)'

(Prior Premier League experience is important): 'Well just look at Veron/Brolin/Soldado/Shevchenko (etc.)'

Totally agree with that, there are so many factors at play as to a player doing well at a new club, but it's silly, in my opinion,  to say it's not an advantage to already have leauge experience, beyond the pace and physicality aspect you know the opposite teams forwards, how they play, what side they want to show you on, who they link up well with,  how could anyone say thats not advantageous, I'm totally for buying from other leagues, mainly because a top player is hard to buy from a rival, and there are so many hidden talents with less exposure, but all I'm saying is it's a bit of an advantage, I think it's counter to good logic to say it doesn't help being familiar and having experience with anything you want to master. My apologies to everyone should have put all these replies in one thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

Again and again I said it, we need a ball playing CB garry is not, he is terrible with teh ball at his feet, this system is thwarted when you have a high press team  and CB's who cant play out fast and accurately, it ruins your whole system,  wingbacks cant push up, you end up a 5 at the back  with 3 cb's marking a striker and the rest of teh team pinning you in like against Tottenham, we were very vulnerable against city we were clinical on the counted but they ripped us to pieces we were all over the place, 9 out of 10 KDB buries that chance and we were done, teams that put pressure and push stop our wingbacks have showed our frailties, a ball playing CB and a box to box CM beside kante make those problems go away, and although we arent conceding its for those reasons conte still wants a ball playing CB he knows its our weakness and although matic is playing well, it's why he wants a CM that will carry the ball out from defence and start teh attack, those 2 things make a world of difference in big games against good teams 

Find it odd that someone who's watched him regularly would say he's terrible with the ball at his feet. His passing is one of his good qualities. 

STATS likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Find it odd that someone who's watched him regularly would say he's terrible with the ball at his feet. His passing is one of his good qualities. 

 

Cahill's not great on the ball.

DonAntonio and Chelsbear like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Davey Baby said:

 

Cahill's not great on the ball.

My mistake, read it wrong. Thought he was talking about VVD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Remodez said:

Find it odd that someone who's watched him regularly would say he's terrible with the ball at his feet. His passing is one of his good qualities. 

Seriously? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PedroMendez said:

I'm firmly in the don't really need him camp, whilst I think he would add to th squad and would probably fit in ahead of Zouna, Terry, Ivan, I don't think he is any better than Cahill, so would only provide a rotation option. I also think whilst BPL experience is useful playing for a bigger club requires slightly different attributes. An example I would give for this is Cahill himself looked like the dogs bollocks at Bolton but then a lot less impressive at Chelsea what worries me about van dijk is his concentration during games and it will only be made worse by having less to do. 

Would still likely be a good signing if we make it but at the price we would have to pay is he worth it

 

Agreed. He wouldn't get in our team just now because all of our centre backs are performing above his level this season so it makes little sence brining in a player who IMO won't Improve our first 11. With Zouma ready to return and Christensen next season I don't really see the need for VVD now, I'd much rather we look to upgrade the midfield and attack since at the back we look very solid these days.

Bobbywoodhogan likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

 

Agreed. He wouldn't get in our team just now because all of our centre backs are performing above his level this season so it makes little sence brining in a player who IMO won't Improve our first 11. With Zouma ready to return and Christensen next season I don't really see the need for VVD now, I'd much rather we look to upgrade the midfield and attack since at the back we look very solid these days.

The second Garry had a bad day he would be in, and deffo start next season, his ball playing greatly improves us, so many people don't get how key it is in this system,  hence pep even gave up heart for a sh*t keeper who can play out, let alone defenders, thats why he bought stones, zoumas a great CB love him - not a ball player,  Christensen, he is the future by the time he is starting Luiz will be towards the end of his career. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DonAntonio said:

Totally agree with that, there are so many factors at play as to a player doing well at a new club, but it's silly, in my opinion,  to say it's not an advantage to already have leauge experience, beyond the pace and physicality aspect you know the opposite teams forwards, how they play, what side they want to show you on, who they link up well with,  how could anyone say thats not advantageous, I'm totally for buying from other leagues, mainly because a top player is hard to buy from a rival, and there are so many hidden talents with less exposure, but all I'm saying is it's a bit of an advantage, I think it's counter to good logic to say it doesn't help being familiar and having experience with anything you want to master. My apologies to everyone should have put all these replies in one thread. 

I dunno about that, just look at Torres

DonAntonio likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ballack & Blu said:

He's worth definitely what ever we are willing to offer, if we don't Citeh will!!

City also went all in for stones and now they are having to spend another 40 odd million in the very same position. 

We shouldn't have to jump in just because they are. They need to spend money to get another defender in while we do not. We are top of the table with a back line who are the best in the league, I don't see the point in us messing with a successful formula just now. Cahill has been mentioned but this season thus far he's been excellent and certainly just as impressive if not more so than VVD. 

Azpi looks better game after game in the 3 while Luiz IMO is the best CB in English football at the moment. If we have 40 odd million to spend then it makes far more sense to be spending it to improve our starting 11 

Edited by Chelsbear
PedroMendez likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.