Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Barrettinator

Virgil Van Dijk

170 posts in this topic

If christiansen wasn't already a chelsea player, we would no doubt be getting linked with him for a massive price. 

One of the best young defenders in Europe,  comfortable on the ball, experience at the highest level, well drilled in a back 3, and to top it off he's homegrown! 

Hope we don't bring in any centre backs in the summer, vvd is quality but we have plenty of options and a couple of players that could potentially be better than vvd. 

Chelsbear likes this

5 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

With CL coming next season, yes we do.

With Christensen coming back....no we don't 

Just now, Chelsbear said:

With Christensen coming back....no we don't 

JT's off, Zouma is going out on loan, Ake could also be leaving.

I would say we could have both.

DonAntonio likes this

Vvd would be coming in as first choice, and would presumably be as a replacement for Luiz or Cahill. Conte was saying dave was one of the world's bests, so can't see him losing his start place.  There would be no room for Christensen, unless a he was to take the place of the remaining person from cahill or Luiz. Just can't see that happening. So that leaves back up/rotation and cup games,which for a young player still developing he may be content with. If we were to get Vvd then  Personally I would prefer Christensen  stayed on loan to play regularly then come back to sit on the bench. 

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Just dont get the hype around this guy

I agree to an extent, he looks a very good player but I havent seen anything from him to back up some of the "best in the league" claims yet. He`s had as many balls ups as Cahill for example, but these seem to be ignored.

I do think he would be a good signing though, depending on who leaves, who returns etc. If Cahill stays and we bring back Christensen then im not sure how he would fit in.

Edited by dkw
Scott Harris likes this

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Just dont get the hype around this guy

26 minutes ago, dkw said:

I agree to an extent, he looks a very good player but I havent seen anything from him to back up some of the "best in the league" claims yet. He`s had as many balls ups as Cahill for example, but these seem to be ignored.

I do think he would be a good signing though, depending on who leaves, who returns etc. If Cahill stays and we bring back Christensen then im not sure how he would fit in.

Can't agree with these comments. VVD is up there with the best in the league. Can play with his feet, dominant in the air and reasonably quick. Similar style to Rio Ferdinand.

He's a phenomenal centre back and you will see that when he's in Chelsea colours next season.

I maybe exaggerated about being the best in the league but he's definietly in the top 5.

43 minutes ago, JMaher94 said:

I maybe exaggerated about being the best in the league but he's definietly in the top 5.

Number 5...Just behind Luiz, Cahill, Dave and happy? What about ake and jt? 

JMaher94 and didierforever like this

1 minute ago, nonotnowjim said:

Number 5...Just behind Luiz, Cahill, Dave and happy? What about ake and jt? 

JT is undisputed number one no matter how old he is!

Joust and Scott Harris like this

I like what I've seen of VVD, but I also can't help feel that Conte will want to go back to Italy to get his defenders.  Purely a hunch

Do t get people that don't rate VVD....just watch the guy, Cahill isn't good enough I'm sad to say, he would be a quality replacement, Christensen needs another year back st the club in training with us hopefully learning off JT, getting some game time as zouma has been let him fight for a place I do t like set in stone back lines they become sloppy? Need to fight for places like everyone else plus luiz is 30, need a top CB in the mix if we are going to go to the top levels we aspire to, Christensen is a longer term plan anyone who thinks he starts next year short of necessity is bonkers. 

13 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

Do t get people that don't rate VVD....just watch the guy, Cahill isn't good enough I'm sad to say, he would be a quality replacement, Christensen needs another year back st the club in training with us hopefully learning off JT, getting some game time as zouma has been let him fight for a place I do t like set in stone back lines they become sloppy? Need to fight for places like everyone else plus luiz is 30, need a top CB in the mix if we are going to go to the top levels we aspire to, Christensen is a longer term plan anyone who thinks he starts next year short of necessity is bonkers. 

Why would it be bonkers for christiensen to break into the starting 11 next season? Zouma managed to do it a couple of seasons ago, with much less experience. I rate vvd, just think money would better spent elsewhere. 

dkw and Chelsbear like this

Posted (edited)

44 minutes ago, big blue said:

Why would it be bonkers for christiensen to break into the starting 11 next season? Zouma managed to do it a couple of seasons ago, with much less experience. I rate vvd, just think money would better spent elsewhere. 

Folk are calling people crazy for not rating VVD then at the same time they are seriously under rating our own player who had done amazingly well in Germany the past few seasons.

As you say why go out and spend 30/40 million on a player when we have a quality player coming back who is every bit as good?

Money should be invested elsewhere as we have a very strong defence at centre back next season with Luiz, Cahill, Azpi. Christensen and Zouma.

Edited by Chelsbear
big blue, Jezz and Nibs like this

Its the same story with all of our youngsters. If Christensen were at 'Gladbach permanently and came through their academy i'm sure or us City would have splashed 40m on him by now. Same as RLC, Musonda etc.. We aready own great players but because they don't have a huge price tag over their head, they're often overlooked. 

jack_super_class and Chelsbear like this

Haven't honestly seen Christensen play since his days in the youth team.. Remember him being quality on the ball but physically a bit weak and slow. Has he really made that big an improvement?

20 minutes ago, dan_cfc said:

Haven't honestly seen Christensen play since his days in the youth team.. Remember him being quality on the ball but physically a bit weak and slow. Has he really made that big an improvement?

He's one of the best centre half's in the budusliga 

4 hours ago, big blue said:

That's ok it's romans money not ours, a quality back line is a Chelsea trademark we need to keep up that into this new generation of players, I said let Christensen fight for his place and if necessity dictates he could get a run like zouma did, but he isn't quite good enough yet, he couldn't keep Garry out the squad right now let alone if we paid for a quality CB. Unless we get no one or Garry drops form even more or an injury no chance Christensen will be a first choice CB 

5 hours ago, DonAntonio said:

That's ok it's romans money not ours, a quality back line is a Chelsea trademark we need to keep up that into this new generation of players, I said let Christensen fight for his place and if necessity dictates he could get a run like zouma did, but he isn't quite good enough yet, he couldn't keep Garry out the squad right now let alone if we paid for a quality CB. Unless we get no one or Garry drops form even more or an injury no chance Christensen will be a first choice CB 

And why exactly couldn't he keep Gary out of the squad? What exactly does he lack in your opinion that makes him not good enough? He has spent 2 seasons out on loan where he has performed brilliantly and been one of the best CBs in the Bundesliga both seasons and being 20 years old at that. Massive heaps of potential and he's already really good. But you'd rather him "fight for his place" because he hasn't got a huge price tag. This is why we keep losing our young players. His father has already made it clear he won't be coming back to Chelsea just to ride the bench for the whole season. What you're suggesting is giving him a run here and there in FA Cup games or something like that. Ridiculous. Our defense is strong as it is. Let Christensen "fight for his place" with the current defenders. Luiz at 30 is still good. If we ever need to buy another CB later on, I'm sure we can find them in the market. We're not suddenly going to collapse if we don't get VVD. On the other hand, we'd have made another utterly foolish decision of letting a quality young player go again if Christensen leaves.

dkw and Chigzzer like this