Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Ballack & Blu

What do we need to tweak this Squad (Jan)

72 posts in this topic

Think we need a slight Tweak, play a fast finisher that could assist Costa?, maybe Veratti, but doubt we could get till summer, Van dunk, could be immense?

Can't see us bringing anyone in, Begovic, Oscar, Mikel maybe out (hopefully not JT but wouldn't be surprised) but reckon Eduardo, Van Ginkel and Nat will take their places.

we need CB if we want to win the league this season. no way we can keep playing the same 3 CBs the whole season (due to injuries, bans, etc), and i'm not entirely confident with our backups

bernardburgs likes this

Honestly I think we will be fine, if the right player comes allng then sure. But right now I dont think we need anyone. Next year Christensen is coming back so a creative and dynamic CM, a left wing back and an attacker that can olay on the right wing are were we should look to upgrade

No need to panic buy, i think if we get a chance we can get cover for the wings backs, either buying a new player or getting a loaned out player back. 

Big window coming up in my opinion. We are in a great position to win the league at the moment, not a time for penny pinching. Bring in whoever Conte wants, if we do end up winning the league those players will have repaid themselves already.

Ballack & Blu likes this

We need a ball playing cb, or we will always be susceptible to the high press like the spuds did to us, VVD would be perfect, I'd bring in a game changer for rotation and depth who makes the midfield and forwards compete for their place , ideally a player than can play in CM or RWF perhaps James Rodriguez, 2 players mentioned would push us to the next level 

9 hours ago, magichat said:

we need CB if we want to win the league this season. no way we can keep playing the same 3 CBs the whole season (due to injuries, bans, etc), and i'm not entirely confident with our backups

Terry, Zouma and Ivanovic ? as far as back up cb's go, it isn't going to get much better than that.

Kev123 and didierforever like this

We need to have a busy January and summer, January prioritize quality squad depth/system fitters, summer look for players ready to take us up a level back in Europe (its going to take an all time collapse now for us to have free midweeks again next season).

IMO we have enough up and coming youth in the team and on loan to cover most our first team. We have Zouma, Christensen and possibly Ake for defence, Aina for Rwb, although if Moses got injured Willian could slot in there, Kenedy at LWB, Chalobah and Rlc to cover midfield, although would still say Fàbregas should stay and play first alternative option to Matic/Kanté. In attack we could do with strengthening, a player that can play central or on the right would be best, Griezmann or Sanchez would be great, although looks like a long shot for me, Draxler looks more realistic. 

May sound a little out there but if we could get him relativly cheap i wouldn't make taking a chance on Adama Traore. Bags of natural talent and could potentialy turn into a star. Literally the quickest football player i've ever seen. We could do with another option up there especially if we sell Oscar. And he brings something different to the rest of them. Physically he reminds me of an even faster Moses so who knows, maybe he could even turn out to be a fantastic left wingback under Conte.

Edited by Sindre
CFCholland likes this

My only concerns with the squad in this European-less season is the wing backs and possibly up front. I'm not sure we have obvious cover for either wing back if they miss a few games and we'd likely be forced into a formation change.

Diego getting injured or suspended would also be a big blow. But maybe Bats would surprise me a bit and step up. A big ask for him though.

The odd thing is that after last season I'd have snatched at the chance of fourth, and thought build from there. But as things stand, we really are contenders now and we must do all we can to seize this unexpected opportunity.

Having said all that, I haven't the foggiest who we could buy in January as cover that wouldn't be a long term waste of a squad place.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

We need to have a busy January and summer, January prioritize quality squad depth/system fitters, summer look for players ready to take us up a level back in Europe (its going to take an all time collapse now for us to have free midweeks again next season).

That's my thoughts as well.

In january I would try to sign a pacy left wingback (Benjamin Mendy or Ghoulam) and a central defender (Van Dijk). This would give us options and cover for both wingbacks and central defence, because we can move Azpilicueta up as a right wingback, with Cahill or Van Dijk taking his spot whenever Moses is not playing. Both signing could potentially be covered by a sale of Oscar to China.

In the summer we should try to sign Veratti and go all out for Dybala. Veratti is able to rotate with both Kante and Matic, unlike Fabregas, who can only play alongside Kante. I wouldn't be against selling Fabregas for this reason, because there is little chance we can keep a midfield with all four of them happy. Dybala can play in all our three attacking positions and his skillsets can cover for us missing either Hazard or Costa, he is also a great upgrade on Willian/Pedro.

And some of us wonder why we don't develop young players.....

Musonda, Kenedy, Aina, Zouma, Nat, Bats are just fine for cover IMO. I wouldn't want us to buy anyone unless they are going to replace a starter who in turn leaves. 

Only 2 competitions left to play for, theres no need for extra players in January, buy them in the summer when we know if we have CL to worry about or not. This is a perfect time to give some time to young players without dire consequences if the suck. Early FA cup matches and if we keep on playing this way we'll have a handful of dead rubber matches in April/May

Edit: as someone said, now is the time to back Conte, not limit him. I have a strong feeling though, that Conte wont buy players this January unless he deems them essential THIS season. Personally I don't see any hole we have that can't be filled by someone already under contract at the club 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues
PedroMendez and didierforever like this

Only tweaks we need is just a change in some squad players imo from people we already have

out: Oscar, Mikel

in: MVG

Transfers: Possibly Verrati? Would be a great upgrade/future upgrade on Matic and Fabregas imo.

also we don't need to panic buy any CB's in Jan, especially when we have Christensen coming back next season. Also Zouma coming back from injury and in an extreme case we got Ivanovic and JT. 

Only possible position we might need help in is our wingback position, but with the likes of Ake and Aina waiting

didierforever and PedroMendez like this

22 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Terry, Zouma and Ivanovic ? as far as back up cb's go, it isn't going to get much better than that.

good backups I agree, but if truly want to be the best we should aim for more

4 minutes ago, magichat said:

good backups I agree, but if truly want to be the best we should aim for more

Like i said though, you ain't going to find better back up's. Can you name any other team in the world that have better back up cb's ?

dkw and didierforever like this

Just now, Scott Harris said:

Like i said though, you ain't going to find better back up's. Can you name any other team in the world that have better back up cb's ?

Juventus. also, i didn't say we need to buy a backup. on the contrary, we should buy a top CB (a certain CB that plays for Soton springs to mind), and demote Cahill to the bench as a backup along Zouma (i don't trust Ivan at all and JT is past it)

2 minutes ago, magichat said:

Juventus. also, i didn't say we need to buy a backup. on the contrary, we should buy a top CB (a certain CB that plays for Soton springs to mind), and demote Cahill to the bench as a backup along Zouma (i don't trust Ivan at all and JT is past it)

I'm sure Ivanovic and Terry can both come in and do a job at CB if they are required too. I also don't see any reason to demote Cahill right now, he's in great form. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm sure Ivanovic and Terry can both come in and do a job at CB if they are required too. I also don't see any reason to demote Cahill right now, he's in great form. 

I've been one of Cahill's harshest critics but he compliments Conte's 3-4-3 in a way I'm not sure many other CBs can tbh, mistakes in big games aside he's been different class this year

Edited by the special one