Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Ballack & Blu

What do we need to tweak this Squad (Jan)

72 posts in this topic
16 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

And some of us wonder why we don't develop young players.....

Musonda, Kenedy, Aina, Zouma, Nat, Bats are just fine for cover IMO. I wouldn't want us to buy anyone unless they are going to replace a starter who in turn leaves. 

Only 2 competitions left to play for, theres no need for extra players in January, buy them in the summer when we know if we have CL to worry about or not. This is a perfect time to give some time to young players without dire consequences if the suck. Early FA cup matches and if we keep on playing this way we'll have a handful of dead rubber matches in April/May

Edit: as someone said, now is the time to back Conte, not limit him. I have a strong feeling though, that Conte wont buy players this January unless he deems them essential THIS season. Personally I don't see any hole we have that can't be filled by someone already under contract at the club 

I rather be certain we have a CL to worry about and go for the title this season, why take such a huge chance just in the desperation for us to develop a youth player. Conte tried to give the youth a chance against West Ham, but all the changes lost us the game. I don't believe there is an enviroment for youth to develop in a top 4 team, unless you are far away from the chasing pack. The biggest chance our youth have to get into our team is to make some very impressive performances out on loan, like KDB, Lukaku and Courtois, but they also had Belgium to showcase their ability.

Edited by comtrend
the special one likes this

3 hours ago, the special one said:

I've been one of Cahill's harshest critics but he compliments Conte's 3-4-3 in a way I'm not sure many other CBs can tbh, mistakes in big games aside he's been different class this year

I'm with you here, have always thought we could upgrade on Cahill, but he has been great recently. I see no need to buy and centre backs imminently, especially with Christensen hopefully coming back soon.

I found this article intressting:

http://theprideoflondon.com/2016/12/19/antonio-conte-chelsea-formation-2/

I wouldn't be suprised if we in the near future started with Kante, Fabregas and Matic, instead of Pedro/Willian dropping deep into midfield. With a potential transfer of Veratti, there would be even bigger chance of us starting in a 3-5-2 formation. You could see the huge difference in our attacking play when Fabregas came on for Willian against Palace, playing alongside Matic and Kante must be the dream position for Fabregas.

I don't want to see us buying squad depth players tbh. Plenty of talent coming through that can fill those spots. If a player becomes available that will improve the 1st team, then great, but I don't think we will find them in January.  

g3.7 and robdog like this

In January 

Think we could do with a world class LWB. Alonso is doing well but he is our only natural player in that position.

and a replacement for oscar. 

For my money we don't need a centre back. As well as Ivan and Zouma there is Christiansen and Nathan ake is playing well.

We don't have many options at wing back although I think Willian could drop in there if required on the right.

Chalobah can maybe to a job in midfield though I am not convinced about his defensive work rate as a central midfielder.

So I'd like a hard working midfielder that's also an outside shooter.

Batman is for the future. We need a premier league ready second striker.

We also maybe need an upgrade out wide on the right.

I dont think it matters in the January window, what we have is good enough for the title.

However, in the summer, we have to bring in about 2 or 3 quality players if we want to be a serious threat in Europe.

The fact is, the squad sint good enough to compete in Europe and the league, not right now anyway so we need better strength in depth, what we have right now is perfect for a 45 game run in a season but when you're going into the UCL and you're throwing at a minimum, 6 games in there with probably 2 K/O matches too, the matches played suddenly pushes past 50 and its not just the extra matches, its the quality you have to play against and the travelling you have to do.

I've no doubt that if we were in the UCL this year with our current squad we'd get out of the group, we'd probably top 50% of the groups too, draw depending but the overall quality of the squad isnt good enough if you want to win it or get into a semi final at least and that where Chelsea should be aiming at.

No point doing an Arsenal, finish top 4, get to K/O stages and then go out and repeat for over a decade, we want to have a fair crack off it and you need quality to do that, well quality or a huge slice of luck, you cant controlor buy luck though so its back to the quality of players you have to buy. 

If we do win the league this year we have to also learn from our two terrible defences of our latest titles when the board failed to back Ancellotti back in 2011 and when they failed to back Jose 2 summers ago, if you dont buy and build on what you have, it gets stale so if Conte does push us over the line we have to invest in the summer. We have the money, the TV, Nike and Yokohama deals are huge for us and should out us in a position to bid for any player we like.

Not sure that we need to buy a Defender. Currently we are sat like this;

WBL; Alsonso  CB; Azpi, Cahill, Terry, Ivan, Luiz, Zouma.  RWB; Moses, Azpi, Ivan

Azpi is an absolute diamond. Luiz fits the system extremely well and is the focal point of our defence, Cahill is playing well. Ivan and Terry are solid back ups, Zouma and Christiansen look like the real deal. Ake looks like he's coming along and would fit a 3 man defence, Baba Rahman would fit in at LWB much better than he did in a 4 man defence. I wouldn't buy anyone, I think we need a LWB loan for this season, unless we got a real upgrade for Alonso for a decent price.

CM; is Kante and Matic with Fabregas and Chalobah. Mikel will probably go, If he does, I'd like to see another CM come and give Kanté/Matic some competition. 

Attacking 3; Hazard and Costa are a level above Pedro and Willian. Id like to see a Griezmann or Sanchez type player who can play off the right, and offer cover upfront.

What id like to see; Sanchez. Cheeky offer to test Arsenal, or Maybe Draxler who has fallen out with management at Wolfsburg. Younger star CM Veratti would be the Marquee but someone in that mould would do the job.

TL:DR; Forget the defence, replace Mikel with competition for Matic/Kanté. Replace Willian/Pedro with a superstar Marquee player.

Edited by Shotgun883

On 12/19/2016 at 13:39, comtrend said:

I found this article intressting:

http://theprideoflondon.com/2016/12/19/antonio-conte-chelsea-formation-2/

I wouldn't be suprised if we in the near future started with Kante, Fabregas and Matic, instead of Pedro/Willian dropping deep into midfield. With a potential transfer of Veratti, there would be even bigger chance of us starting in a 3-5-2 formation. You could see the huge difference in our attacking play when Fabregas came on for Willian against Palace, playing alongside Matic and Kante must be the dream position for Fabregas.

That first pass map in the Everton game is incredible. Simply incredible. It is literally how you draw up a formation except for Costa being a little off center. That must take some drilling on the off days, hours and hours. That is one area it's pretty clear no European football has helped us. 

We have no backup for Alonso. And arguably we need another big forward and one more attacking midfielder to replace Oscar.

I hope if we are strengthening the team, we do it now, instead of dragging it out till the end of this transfer window!!

I hope if we are strengthening the team, we do it now, instead of dragging it out till the end of this transfer window!!

7 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

Apparently Conte has confirmed he wants to strengthen, according to SS

New year's gym membership eh, too much Xmas food....

Amputechture likes this

2 minutes ago, dkw said:

New year's gym membership eh, too much Xmas food....

My bad, should of just added "The Squad"

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, Ballack & Blu said:

My bad, should of just added "The Squad"

Ha ha, sorry was just my poor attempt at a joke. Interesting he's said that if true, im surprised too. 

Edited by dkw

6 minutes ago, dkw said:

Ha ha, sorry was just my poor attempt at a joke. Interesting he's said that if true, im surprised too. 

Ha, ha,....No worries Fella....

Mandzukic or Dzeko up front
Seems opposition are starting to figure out Conte's 3-4-3 so a box to box centre mid so we can change to 4-3-3/4-1-4-1

After todays game we might actually need reinforcements badly. Azpi is a great player and has shown he can play any where at the back but due to height limitations we might think of bringing in a player. Options, we either call Christensen back or start Zuoma or buy a totally new player(non in mind) but i wouldn't recommend the latter. Then we move Azpi to LWB or RWB. He seems to be the weak link in the back 3 because of his height.

You can watch him against Ibrahimovic or Crouch or any tall and lanky forward. They were just unlucky not to score that was all.

The youth players dont seem to take their chances well enough. They cant expect to have 2 or 3 chances. There is just no time for those chances. Look at Rashford first game debut goal now he's in the team. If they took those chances we might have a more youthful side that could match that of Spurs and Arsenal. When ever we face youthful sides we seem to struggle a bit. Matic an example good strength on the ball but not energetic enough. His replacement most often Fabregas great vision but same applies. Chelsea must either use Chalobah more or buy Kessie even if it cost £35m we should.

Rome wasnt built in a day, secure a top class left back ideally Alex Sandro, obvs big ask but a left back that is going to be our left back for the next 6+ years Alonso is a stop gap, good displayed some solid performances but not going to take us to the level where we want to be.