Michael Antonio

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/antonio-top-of-conte-wish-list-7zxn6ff22

'Antonio Conte wants Chelsea to sign two wing backs this month despite his side’s outstanding defensive record during their 13-match winning run.

West Ham United’s Michail Antonio and Jonas Hector, of Cologne, are Conte’s targets for the right and left wing-back positions respectively as the Chelsea head coach seeks to improve a squad that is five points clear at the top of the Premier League.

The Italian believes that Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso performed at their peak during the winning run before playing poorly in the defeat at White Hart Lane and with few other wing-back options in his squad, he wants more competition for places.

Conte is also planning recruitment in other positions. Chelsea have edged closer to a deal with Swansea City for striker Fernando Llorente, although Michy Batshuayi, who was wanted on loan by Swansea City for the rest of the season, has ruled out a move to the Liberty Stadium

The London club may bring forward a planned summer move for Monaco midfielder Tiemoué Bakayoko, while recruiting another centre half has long been viewed as a priority'

Linked to him and Jonas Hector in a Times Exclusive today. Going to be interesting to see if something comes out of this.

He's a decent threat going forward and fills in at right-back / wing-back for West Ham so could do a job.

I normally don't like signings like these that just seem to be squad fillers but I think this could work out. Moses has no direct competition other than Ivanovic and Antonio would provide that.

He's also English which is a bonus and should be about to reach his prime.

Edited by RichardCFC

Great squad player if he did come... not sure West Ham would be too pleased about one of their fan favourites joining us. Gotta admire his determination and I like the wing back role but wouldn't mind some whose a bit better at defending... didn't cover himself in glory when he filled in at right back for West Ham.

2 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

Anywhere out wide is as far as I have got with him.

Not quite a winger, not quite a defender....

Stumped.

On the other hand, he seems to be a near-world-class header of the ball... so you'd want him as far from out wide as possible?

Antonio is not a bad player. If this rumour is true, it speaks to the kind of player Conte is looking for in this transfer window - someone who is extremely versatile, and who can provide cover for the wing-backs. Aké fits the same mould. I'm not sure we could realistically be expected to upgrade our first XI this January. For one, who could we even sign?

Antonio is not a bad player. If this rumour is true, it speaks to the kind of player Conte is looking for in this transfer window - someone who is extremely versatile, and who can provide cover for the wing-backs. Aké fits the same mould. I'm not sure we could realistically be expected to upgrade our first XI this January. For one, who could we even sign?

No need of bringing in a player if he isn't an upgrade or better than the ones we have. Moses is still better than Antonio. So it's pointless waisting the money to sign him.

12 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

Thing is he has said he doesn't like playing as a RB, and when he has played there he has looked average. Agree with Wallosh, there is no point signing players just to bulk up our numbers if we are not improving our 1st 11. 

3 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Thing is he has said he doesn't like playing as a RB, and when he has played there he has looked average. Agree with Wallosh, there is no point signing players just to bulk up our numbers if we are not improving our 1st 11. 

Our first 11 cannot last all season, we need depth and our backups aren't up to it anymore. For example, JT and Ivanovic were great players in their day, but that day's long gone. They just can't provide reliable cover when called upon anymore.

I'm not advocating going after Antonio, I don't know enough about him to say yes or no. But we do need re-enforcements.

42 minutes ago, wallosh said:

No need of bringing in a player if he isn't an upgrade or better than the ones we have. Moses is still better than Antonio. So it's pointless waisting the money to sign him.

And what happens if Moses gets injured or suspended? At the moment Ivanovic is looking to be the most likely player to replace him. 

The truth is that if we are to continue playing 3-4-3 we need cover for the wingbacks because right now, we have none. Says it all that Pedro has been asked to play LWB in our last two games. 

11 minutes ago, ducavis said:

Thing is, he wouldn't be playing at right back, he would be playing as a wing back (presumably) so he would be asked to get forward just as much as he's expected to defend. 

As I said above, we're probably going to continue playing 3-4-3 from now on so Conte needs to build a squad suited to that system because he inherited a squad built to suit 4-2-3-1/4-3-3

Antonio can also cover up front. 8 league goals already this season is not bad at all for a struggling West Ham.

I'd like to bring him in, would fight with Moses for that wingback spot and for me they are similar players with mostly similar strengths and weaknesses with Antonio just being more of a danger in front of goal and a very, very good header of the ball.

I think he would be a decent bet. I saw some of the matches that West Ham played and he particularly stood out from the rest. He was strong, good in the air and always a nuisance for the opposition. 

I was thinking some good team is going to go after him but did not think it will be us. 

Edited by sizzler85

He sulked when played at RB and loves talking about scoring goals so i'd worry he'd shirk his defensive responsibilities at RWB.

I'd be happy enough to hold fire on wing-backs this window. Zouma and Ake coming into things can potentially free up Azpi as a cover option for either side.

In the summer, I really want us to take advantage of the situation Jose has created at United with Shaw. I think he'd be a perfect LWB for us.

Christensen returning in the summer could then see our wing-back options being

RWB - 1. Azpi, 2, Moses

LWB - 1. Shaw, 2. Alonso

I don't think our squad is in need of depth now we have brought back ake. 

If moses gets an injury there are replacements within the squad like Pedro, azpiliucueta, Ivanovic, or aina. 

I agree none of the replacements are wing backs by trade, but neither was moses, and neither is Antonio. 

I would rather wait until the summer and go for players that are clearly better than what we have, or what we have coming through. 

For the price Antonio would cost us we should look at Florenzi instead, he's probably the best right wingback out there right now, and with the 'English' bonus charge for Antonio, we'd probably be paying around the same price, I think it's a no brainer. Surprised we aren't linked with him tbh