End of an era

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Can't help but feel a bit sad today following Lampard announcing his retirement. 

Frank's playing days are now over, Ivanovic has left after 9 years at the club, Mikel after 10, Drogba could be set to call time on his playing days, JT's no longer in the first team and could possibly leave at the end of the season., Jose is at Manchester United. 

Very much feels like the end of an era. Obviously players will always come and go but it's feeling like this season is very much drawing a line under a significant period for the club. 

I started to watch Chelsea in 1996, so my first era was Zola, Vialli, Wise, Di Matteo, Lebouef etc. Second era has been Terry, Cech, Lampard, Drogba etc. 

Seems like now that 2nd era has drawn to a close although we seem to be in good hands with Conte moving into this new period at the club. 

It's really sad, we've been through so much with these players. I have to admit the team we have now I don't feel quite the same affection for as I did this team or the team we had with Wise,Zola, Vialli, etc. Although it's early days in that regard. But when's JT leaves or retires that will be the end of our greatest ever team.

I'm the same.

My first era like yours was Zola, Wise and so on which was an exciting time for our club with the FA Cup and European football (trophy). I'm starting to feel old now that the players we were singing back when Roman came in when I was in my late teens are now retiring and moving on from the club.

Hopefully this new era brings more success and memories like those previous ones...more so the latter.

Sad day really when Terry goes to because that will be the end of the players who were part of that group.

Start of a new era guys.

Remember and celebrate what's been:  as a fan since the early seventies the FA Cup in 97, the Premier League in 2005, the double in 2010 and the Champions League in 2012 are all fantastic memories, but look forwards not backwards.  Leave other clubs to gloat over their history.

Don't under-estimate what Antonio has achieved so far and dream about where this trip may end...

Am always looking forward.......hopefully we will win the Double this year ( League & FA cup) ..........and next year, we build a new extension to our trophy cupboard to facilitate adding another European Champions Cup to our collection ! 

Onwards & Upwards....... However ........I always respect our history and every contribution made by the players of yesteryear, especially super star top class players like Super Frank. 

3 minutes ago, CarefreeSimmo_ said:

Who'd have realised at the time that a goal from such a frustratingly inconsistent player as Gronkjaer would change the club the way it has.

As has been pointed out many many times, we only needed a draw that day, so Marcel's header was the vital goal. Gronk's goal just gave us some much-needed insurance.

3 hours ago, Backbiter said:

As has been pointed out many many times, we only needed a draw that day, so Marcel's header was the vital goal. Gronk's goal just gave us some much-needed insurance.

Jesper assisted Marcel's goal.

On 02/02/2017 at 11:46, dansubrosa said:

So many greats in the team during that time. Not just Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba. There's also Maka, Ballack, Essien, Carvalho, A.Cole, etc. Incredibly strong team. I'd say that team would comfortably beat our current team.

Bullsh*t, no team would "comfortably" beat our current team.

On February 2, 2017 at 13:46, dansubrosa said:

So many greats in the team during that time. Not just Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba. There's also Maka, Ballack, Essien, Carvalho, A.Cole, etc. Incredibly strong team. I'd say that team would comfortably beat our current team.

Factor in the players you are right, but hypothetically if we add managers in Conte vs Scolari, Grant, Ancelotti on the touchline would certainly reduce that teams advantage somewhat. However if it was Jose mark one.........

This team certainly has the potential to even eclipse the last era in my opinion.

When i look at this side compared to 04-10 the difference for me is the support players, just outside of the spine, Carvalho, Cole, Essien, Ballack Robben were streets ahead of Cahill, Alonso, Matic, Cesc,  Willian. However that spine vs our new spine is very, very close. Cech, Terry, Maka, Lamps and Drogba vs Courtois, Azpi, Kante, Hazard and Costa. I know its an unwritten tradition to favour the old teams in football but i seriously believe the respective spines are equally as strong. If Conte becomes what we are hoping and that's like Jose mark 1 plus long term then we have a serious chance of eclipsing the last team success wise, infact we probably will, if we win it this year our new team are already on two titles, meaning they are a PL and CL double next season away from getting  level with the old guard when it comes to the big two.

I think its a testament to the culture both the past players and club employees, from the board to the kit guys, have instilled in the last 20-30 years that we are still competing for trophies.

Money certainly helps, but it would be easy to get carried away with it and think that is all you need.  A lot of people put in a lot of hard work.

I love this new group, I think they have a level head most of the time and all seem to be enjoying their football and representing Chelsea.

Onwards and upwards