Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Luca Vialli

Gianluigi Donnarumma

27 posts in this topic

Sounds like he'll be the likely replacement should Courtois decide he wants to join Real Madrid.

A couple of Italian news outlets have started linking the AC Milan goalkeeper (17) with a move to us today.

17 years old? Not exactly experienced enough for a title and CL attempt...

Also, his name sounds like a curry.

Almost 60 league appearances for AC already, class prospect but he'd be shaky for the first couple of seasons. I remember when De Gea first came here how he was shocking at first. No doubt he'll be the best in the world in 5 years or so though. Would love this if we're happy to be patient with him. (Obvs all dependent on if Tbo leaves, keeping him would be priority)

Edited by RIP Mourinho

I would absolutely take him if Courtois were to leave. I'm convinced he will be the best keeper in the world, and he's only turning 18 this month.

DidierDrogbalala likes this

This kid is going to the very top, he even has the same name as possibly the best goalkeeper ever. If Courtois were to leave then Donnarumma would be my first choice to replace him. 

25 minutes ago, Zeta said:

17 years old? Not exactly experienced enough for a title and CL attempt...

Also, his name sounds like a curry.

Have you watched him play?  He is unbelievable 

DidierDrogbalala likes this

Why would we be interested in a "talent" if we have a world class goalkeeper, possibly the best in the world, in our team already?

14 minutes ago, PythonLu said:

Why would we be interested in a "talent" if we have a world class goalkeeper, possibly the best in the world, in our team already?

Is that a serious question?

24 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

Is that a serious question?

If you're worried we have to give in to Real Madrid or whoever, then, with all due respect, the problem is a lack of attitude rather than a lack of talent in the squad.

We are not Tottenham. :)

Edit: Let's use the money to buy players we actually need.

Edited by PythonLu

1 hour ago, PythonLu said:

If you're worried we have to give in to Real Madrid or whoever, then, with all due respect, the problem is a lack of attitude rather than a lack of talent in the squad.

We are not Tottenham. :)

Edit: Let's use the money to buy players we actually need.

Your question was about talent, and whether we should be consistently looking for it even if we have players in that position at the moment, which we definitely should.

58 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

Your question was about talent, and whether we should be consistently looking for it even if we have players in that position at the moment, which we definitely should.

Well look maybe the way I said it wasn't clear enough.

Essentially what I'm saying is that if we sign a player then it should be someone who will one way or another improve our great club. For Donnaruma to improve our team we would have to sell someone who can be considered the best in the world first. Then we'd also have to spend a lot of money on this kid and then there is the inherent uncertainty of every talent actually becoming a world class player, which in the majority of cases does not happen.

Add to this the fact that we have other positions, where our options right now aren't just not world class, they're quite frankly average and require urgent attention. 

So this is my point: Why would we go through the drama of signing this guy, through the uncertainty of developing him and through the pain of seeing Courtois leave to that Spanish club when we could just tell them to go where the sun don't shine.

1 hour ago, PythonLu said:

Essentially what I'm saying is that if we sign a player then it should be someone who will one way or another improve our great club. For Donnaruma to improve our team we would have to sell someone who can be considered the best in the world first. Then we'd also have to spend a lot of money on this kid and then there is the inherent uncertainty of every talent actually becoming a world class player, which in the majority of cases does not happen.

Add to this the fact that we have other positions, where our options right now aren't just not world class, they're quite frankly average and require urgent attention. 

So this is my point: Why would we go through the drama of signing this guy, through the uncertainty of developing him and through the pain of seeing Courtois leave to that Spanish club when we could just tell them to go where the sun don't shine.

The same could be said for the opposite.

Why would we not sign potentially the greatest goalkeeper of all time, just because we had the greatest in the world at the time.

It's hypothetical.  But rather than wait for a problem, we could be proactive and prevent the problem.

29 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

The same could be said for the opposite.

Why would we not sign potentially the greatest goalkeeper of all time, just because we had the greatest in the world at the time.

It's hypothetical.  But rather than wait for a problem, we could be proactive and prevent the problem.

You can always say the opposite mate. You can say the sun is cold or Trump likes muslims. Doesn't mean you're saying the right thing. "Being proactive" comes at a cost, you seem to ignore that. It's cheaper to just send the spanish club to hell.

Just now, PythonLu said:

You can always say the opposite mate. You can say the sun is cold or Trump likes muslims. Doesn't mean you're saying the right thing. "Being proactive" comes at a cost, you seem to ignore that. It's cheaper to just send the spanish club to hell.

Player power rules.  If we can't stop him from going and we don't have a top line keeper ready to go then we aren't as ruthless as we should be.

9 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

Player power rules.  If we can't stop him from going and we don't have a top line keeper ready to go then we aren't as ruthless as we should be.

Uli Hoeneß will disagree. That is why Bayern keeps on winning while the likes of Tottenham, Liverpool and others constantly keep giving away their progress to spanish clubs. 

It's up to anyone to decide whose example they want Chelsea to follow, but my stance is clear - there must not be any negotiations with the spanish clubs over our best players. 

22 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

You are forgetting about the player himself. If we buy him and Courtois stays for several years, a potential future "best in the world" will have warmed the bench for years. Luckily, he will probably have decent advice and assurances and will not come here to sit on the bench.

We aren't particularly ruthless in our dealings (we let players leave if they want to, let great players like Ivan leave for free) and I hope it stays like that. Good players rarely want to leave Chelsea anyway.

Edited by ashwin

Just now, ashwin said:

You are forgetting about the player himself. If we buy him and Courtois stays for several years, a potential future "best in the world" will have earned the bench for years. Luckily, he will probably have decent advice and assurances and will not come here to sit on the bench.

We aren't particularly ruthless in our dealings (we let players leave if they want to, let great players like Ivan leave for free) and I hope it stays like that. 

I'm not forgetting anything.

I just don't think we should ever overlook anyone just because we look set right now.  And we don't.

2 hours ago, PythonLu said:

What happens in this scenario in your mind? 

Thibo: I want to go to Madrid, please sell me. 

Emenalo: Shove it up your a$$. 

Thibo: Oh ok. No problem. 

End of story???

If he wants to leave, let him go. No sense in having a rich and disgruntled GK around. Donnarumma is going to be Buffon v.2, buy him ASAP and keep him in Milan if need be. That's exactly what we did with Thibo before we loaned him to Atleti. When/if he wants to leave for Madrid we are set and ready to go with a replacement. You don't wait until he decides he doesn't want to play here any longer. 

I suspect Conte and Co. have done this with Costa. He may want to leave but I think someone has had a talk with him, 'stay and win the league with us, then if you still want to go in the summer you can go' all while we've been lining up a replacement. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

2 hours ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

What happens in this scenario in your mind? 

Thibo: I want to go to Madrid, please sell me. 

Emenalo: Shove it up your a$$. 

Thibo: Oh ok. No problem. 

End of story???

If he wants to leave, let him go. No sense in having a rich and disgruntled GK around. Donnarumma is going to be Buffon v.2, buy him ASAP and keep him in Milan if need be. That's exactly what we did with Thibo before we loaned him to Atleti. When/if he wants to leave for Madrid we are set and ready to go with a replacement. You don't wait until he decides he doesn't want to play here any longer. 

I suspect Conte and Co. have done this with Costa. He may want to leave but I think someone has had a talk with him, 'stay and win the league with us, then if you still want to go in the summer you can go' all while we've been lining up a replacement. 

First of all, I'd take Emenalo out of the equation. It won't be up to him to decide. 

Secondly, I would not use swear words. I would say you have a contract, you either be a professional or you sit on the bench. If he is still complaining he'll go to the reserves. Eventually he'll learn.

Thirdly, you seem to know very well what Donnaruma eventuall will turn out to be. I personally don't believe in the next-this next-that talk. He is no one until he proves himself, period.

Look, you can either be like Tottenham or you can be like Bayern. If you want to be like Tottenham, fine. I want Chelsea to be like Bayern.

3 hours ago, PythonLu said:

First of all, I'd take Emenalo out of the equation. It won't be up to him to decide. 

Secondly, I would not use swear words. I would say you have a contract, you either be a professional or you sit on the bench. If he is still complaining he'll go to the reserves. Eventually he'll learn.

Thirdly, you seem to know very well what Donnaruma eventuall will turn out to be. I personally don't believe in the next-this next-that talk. He is no one until he proves himself, period.

Look, you can either be like Tottenham or you can be like Bayern. If you want to be like Tottenham, fine. I want Chelsea to be like Bayern.

So who do we replace him with when he wastes away in the reserves? 

I'm also not sure it's a smart financial decision to keep a guy who makes 200k a week around just to spite him. That money could be used elsewhere. 

Back to the topic, GKs are easier to project than outfield players. He's 17, starts at Milan and is the youngest GK to ever play for Italy. What more do you want a teenager to do to prove himself? 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

Would he want to leave Milan? I feel like I've seen him quoted saying that it's his dream club. 

Argo likes this

9 minutes ago, edewaarb said:

Would he want to leave Milan? I feel like I've seen him quoted saying that it's his dream club. 

I'm sure it is but how long can it stay that way with them finishing 6th or 7th every season?