Which loan players should go and which should stay

JJP
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Out of our massive number of loaned out players, pretty much all of them will shortly be coming back to us at the end of June. The question here is, which ones should be recalled back into the 1st team, which ones should be loaned out again for more playing time/experience and which should be just cut our losses and just sell on permanently?

Back in 1st team - Christensen, Baker, Rahman, Kenedy, Blackman, Van Ginkel

Back out on loan - Abraham, Musonda, Boga, Beeney, Izzy Brown, Clarke-Salter, Colkett, Miazga, Kasey Palmer, Kiwomya, Angban, Nathan, Tomori, Mukhtar Ali

Sold permanently (Or at least try to) - Wallace, Rodriguez, Kalas, Delac, Houghton, Davey, Traore, Pantic, Hector, Pasalic, Remy, Cuevas, Feruz, Omereu, Piazon, Atsu

Probably forgotten a couple of names, but what do you think?

28 minutes ago, didierforever said:

I think Baba definitely deserves a chance at the LWB spot. Instead of wasting another 20mil at that one spot

I agree he deserves a chance but if Conte doesn't rate him he may have no chance here. We're still interested in Laxalt at Genoa apparently, maybe not a waste if Rahman's fee pays for him + Kenedy moves there on loan? :wink:

http://www.football-italia.net/101735/laxalt-‘chelsea-interest-nice-but…’

Edited by the special one

On 4/28/2017 at 22:25, didierforever said:

I think Baba definitely deserves a chance at the LWB spot. Instead of wasting another 20mil at that one spot

I agree he deserves a chance, but he was loaned out because he's not good enough defensively. Otherwise im certain he would be in the team right now

Recall to first team: Abraham, Baker, Baba, Christensen

Loan: Blackman (CH), Brown (PL or CH), Clarke-Salter (CH), Colkett, Dasilva, Palmer (CH), Traore (PL)

Sell/Release: Ali, Angban, Atsu, Baxter, Boga, , Cuadrado, Cuevas, Dabo, Delac, Feruz, Hector, Houghton, Kalas, Kiwomya, Miazga, Muheim, Nathan, Omeruo, Pantic, Pasalic, Piazon, Remy, Rodriguez, Tomori, Van Ginkel, Wallace

Also, while we're at it:

Loftus-Cheek (loan - PL)

Musonda (loan - PL)

Solanke (sell)

Kenedy (sell)

Zouma (loan - PL or abroad)

Aina (loan)

Speaking of only players out on loan now

Blackman, Baba, Christensen, Tammy and Baker should all stay at least initially.

I think all of those have a chance at making the PL squad if they do well. The younger players with us like Kenedy, Musonda, RLC and Aina have a chance as well but they aren't loanees right now. I have a hard time believing Kenedy and Aina stick around as much as I want them to, Kenedy especially seems like he's got something about him. 

On 28/04/2017 at 22:25, didierforever said:

I see this differently.

For me the money spent on Baba already represents a wasted opportunity because it could have been used to buy someone else. If we now bring him back we'll just be repeating that mistake. The club should already realise Baba isn't good enough. Nothing will be gained by allowing him to demonstrate it all over again. Just get a good player instead.

14 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I see this differently.

For me the money spent on Baba already represents a wasted opportunity because it could have been used to buy someone else. If we now bring him back we'll just be repeating that mistake. The club should already realise Baba isn't good enough. Nothing will be gained by allowing him to demonstrate it all over again. Just get a good player instead.

Different system though, he might do better in this 3-4-3.

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

Different system though, he might do better in this 3-4-3.

No he'd be worse.

Someone once saw Baba hit a decent cross and imagined that made him a good full back. It's a myth, he isn't, but at least the overlap to get on the end of good passing movements is a genuine part of the fullback's job description.

With a wingback it's much more about exercising tactical judgement and then taking part in those movements. Among other things, the role requires good possession players. Players who can receive the ball, sometimes an awkward ball in difficult areas, tidy it up and deliver a pass in return which puts the team into forward looking mode. Those are not Baba's qualities. His shortcomings would be even more exposed as a wingback than they are as a fullback.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

2 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

No he'd be worse.

Someone once saw Baba hit a decent cross and imagined that made him a good full back. It's a myth, he isn't, but at least the overlap to get on the end of good passing movements is a genuine part of the fullback's job description.

With a wingback it's much more about exercising tactical judgement and then taking part in those movements. Among other things, the role requires good possession players. Players who can receive the ball, sometimes an awkward ball in difficult areas, tidy it up and deliver a pass in return which puts the team into forward looking mode. Those are not Baba's qualities. His shortcomings would be even more exposed as a wingback than they are as a fullback.

Well I've not seen him play this year, wherever he is, but we spent quite a bit of money on him, so I think it's worth at least giving him a pre-season to see if he would fit into Conte's plans, before giving up. I've seen us linked with Bertrand as another possible LWB, but I'm not sure he's the answer myself, although it would be good to get a few more English players into the team again, now that JT's off as well.

Back in 1st team - Christensen, Baker, Kenedy, Blackman, Chalobah, Ake, Abraham

Back out on loan - Abraham, Musonda, Boga, Beeney, Izzy Brown, Clarke-Salter, Colkett, Miazga, Kasey Palmer, Kiwomya, Angban, Nathan, Tomori, Mukhtar Ali, RLC, Aina

Sold permanently (Or at least try to) - Wallace, Rodriguez, Kalas, Delac, Houghton, Davey, Traore, Pantic, Hector, Pasalic, Remy, Cuevas, Feruz, Omereu, Piazon, Atsu

Realistically think Christensen will be a first choice centre back next year and Ake, Abraham, Chalobah, Kenedy, Baker can all play a more significant role.. Blackman can be back up.

RLC and Aina need game time so somewhere like a Newcastle, Brighton etc. would be good. Tomori and Abraham are being looked at by Brighton so wouldn't mind those two going on loan as probs first choice, whilst the others can develop.

those In the sell pile realistically haven't got much going for them anymore and even though Traore is good hes behind English youngsters like Abraham, Brown, Ugbo etc.

5 hours ago, Zeta said:

Well I've not seen him play this year, wherever he is, but we spent quite a bit of money on him, so I think it's worth at least giving him a pre-season to see if he would fit into Conte's plans, before giving up. I've seen us linked with Bertrand as another possible LWB, but I'm not sure he's the answer myself, although it would be good to get a few more English players into the team again, now that JT's off as well.

I don't think Bertrand at LWB is the answer tbh, like Baba he isn't great technically. Genoa's Laxalt shouldn't cost much if we sell Baba and Kenedy moves there on loan.

Re English players, fwiw I think we may need to wait for the likes of Dujon Sterling and Hudson-Odoi before we see a few English boys in the team. With the exception of Harry Kane and maybe Lallana the current batch is mediocre at best imho (Ward-Prowse is the only English player I could realistically see us sign at the mo).

8 hours ago, Fruity66 said:

Back in 1st team - Christensen, Baker, Kenedy, Blackman, Chalobah, Ake, Abraham

Back out on loan - Abraham, Musonda, Boga, Beeney, Izzy Brown, Clarke-Salter, Colkett, Miazga, Kasey Palmer, Kiwomya, Angban, Nathan, Tomori, Mukhtar Ali, RLC, Aina

Realistically think Christensen will be a first choice centre back next year and Ake, Abraham, Chalobah, Kenedy, Baker can all play a more significant role.. Blackman can be back up.

RLC and Aina need game time so somewhere like a Newcastle, Brighton etc. would be good. Tomori and Abraham are being looked at by Brighton so wouldn't mind those two going on loan as probs first choice, whilst the others can develop.

those In the sell pile realistically haven't got much going for them anymore and even though Traore is good hes behind English youngsters like Abraham, Brown, Ugbo etc.

So which one is it?

Saying that, I think Abraham should have a loan season in the prem this season, and not jus tto sit on the bench but to get guaranteed game time like Ake got this season with Bournemouth. Same goes for RLC as well as these 2 are 2 of the best prospects we have, and both definitely need game time at the top level

Yes not particularly obvious there, but I think I'd be happy either way for either of those two (Abraham and RLC) to go out on loan or stay in the squad but if teams like Newcastle, Brighton, potentially Huddersfield are after them in the prem and they are going to get week in week out prem games it seems obvious for them to go out on loan.

I'm still hoping Van Ginkel can be used in the squad but its seeming unlikely, he was uber talented but his knees are destroyed.

also side note, if we win the Prem before end of the season... would love to see Trev Chab, Ugbo, Sterling and Castillo coming into the squad for last few games.. Sterling especially... he dominated Man City.

20 minutes ago, Fruity66 said:

also side note, if we win the Prem before end of the season... would love to see Trev Chab, Ugbo, Sterling and Castillo coming into the squad for last few games.. Sterling especially... he dominated Man City.

I think if Sterling and Hudson-Odoi continue to make progress they'll both go all the way and some, but personally I hope we give Todd Kane his debut. Sterling is still just 17, I think he needs to be kept under wraps for now (perhaps gradually integrated with the first team next season).

we have some very good talent on loan and in the youth system, but getting chances is another thing. in an ideal world i would want to keep baker, abraham, musonda, ake, chalobah, loftus-cheek, castillo in the first team squad. realistically only 2/3 of those will stay with us next season i reckon. roman will want conte to focus on both premier league and champions league next season, so 3/4 top buys in the summer will be likely. if i could pick 3 young players to keep in our squad for next season though, it would be baker, ake and chalobah. 

17 minutes ago, the special one said:

I think if Sterling and Hudson-Odoi continue to make progress they'll both go all the way and some, but personally I hope we give Todd Kane his debut. Sterling is still just 17, I think he needs to be kept under wraps for now (perhaps gradually integrated with the first team next season).

very true, think Hudson-Odoi is 16! haven't heard much from Todd Kane in a while but has always been talked about highly and would make sense with lack of right wing backs at our disposal at the moment. Unlikely to get to see many of these guys this season as reckon Spurs will keep pressure on tonight. Would love to see RLC, Ake, Aina and Chabolah play more central roles as well. Middlesbrough at home would be a good chance to see RLC and maybe hazard or pedro I reckon. Give RLC 60 mins or Chabolah with Kante as reckon we will be on top on Monday night. 

Tbf I think we are going in a good direction compared to before where a lot of the loaned out players we now have were part of the youth team. I havent really understood the point in buying young players from other clubs which look like okay prospects, but not as good as some of our own talent. of course every now and then you get players like Courtois coming along, which is well worth the purchase, but the majority of young players we sign just to ship out arent exactly better than what we already have from our youth setup.

In fact you could argue that the players we have loaned out from our youth academy are better than the players we have loaned out who were just bought from different clubs

The problem is we have a lot of players 20 this year or older. If they aint good enough now let them go.

Defences- baba, ake and Christensen deserve a chance. Baba would be ideal cover for alonso if not him Cuevas . 

Mid- rlc needs to be given more game time than sitting on the bench or is that what he is for us "cover" same with baker,cuardrado and palmer they deserve a chance if not get rid.

Strikers well where do you start.. atsu has been great for the toon but is he right for us. Traore looks amazing. 

At the end of the day we need to have a clear out its pointless keeping all these "development" players that are 20+ if they aint good enough now then dont waste the time.

It has all gone very quiet on Jeremie Boga. He was another who stood out in the Youth Team - at times looked like a young, black, Hazard. 20 now - anyone know how he has been doing? It seems he's going to play for Ivory Coast (if good enough) rather than France.

See we signed another "WonderKid" yesterday. 15 year year old Billy Gilmour from Rangers. Look forward to seeing him perform for the academy next season but I am beginning to lose track of all these youngsters............!!

From the current roster:

Squad: Andreas (Back up CB), Ake (Back up CB), Baba (Back up LWB), Baker (Back up CM), Traore (Back up ST), Blackman (3rd choice GK)

Loan: Tammy, RLC, Kane, Musonda, Kenedy, Boga, Palmer, Brown, Hector, Miazga, Colkett, Dasilva, Jake Clarke Salter

Sell: Piazon, Kalas, Omerou, Atsu, Pasalic, MvG, Remy, Wallace

These are the important names that I could think of.

2017-18 Squad:

GK: Tibo, Bego/new GK, Blackman (HG)

CB: Azpi, Luiz, GC (HG), Andreas (HG), Ake (HG), Zouma

LWB: Alonso, Baba

RWB: Moses (HG), new RWB

CM: Kante, Matic, Cesc (HG), Chalobah (HG) , Baker (HG)

RW: Sanchez, Pedro

LW: Hazard, Willian

ST: Costa/Lukaku, Michy, Traore (HG) 

On April 28, 2017 at 20:23, JJP said:

Back in 1st team - Christensen, Baker, Rahman, Kenedy, Blackman, Van Ginkel

Only Christensen out of that bunch and maybe Baker for a squad role. The rest aren't good enough and it will be embarrassing if they are playing a serious squad role next season.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Only Christensen out of that bunch and maybe Baker for a squad role. The rest aren't good enough and it will be embarrassing if they are playing a serious squad role next season.

How? Rahman is great as a backup to Alonso, and Blackman is a great 3rd keeper to have. Kenedy can also be backup as a wingback and MVG has proven to be a good player for PSV this season.

They are all good as squad players, of course its highly unlikely they'll all become regular starters (apart from maybe Christensen) in the next year