Are you worried about the squad size?

dansubrosa
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

2 hours ago, Jus4abit said:

Board will have nothing to complain about if the club ends up in 6th or 7th.

Shambolic.

Can you explain to me how and why you think the board have been Shambolic.

As far as i can see so far we have signed 3 players, all of which Conte seemed to want for a total of £130m.
And then we have/are getting rid of all the players Conte didn't want rather than forcing them on him.

Before the window all the talk was that Conte preferred Morata but the Board/Emanolo preferred Lukaku so I am glad we have brought Morata over Lukaku. To replace Costa.

We have also replaced Matic with Bakayoko which is something a lot of fans were clamouring for. 

Whilst I agree we are currently a CM as I don't think Conte will trust Baker there and a LWB light of a very good complete squad but that can easily be remedied and we could then further improve on RWB and our 3rd choice striker. But I don't get who our window can be seen as shambolic.

Edited by PedroMendez

I'm getting abit fed up about the lack of movement on wingbacks, we clearly are desperate for reinforcements. Apart from Sandro we aren't being linked to any other wingbacks and that worries me because Sandro could well become another Koulibaly situation.

2 hours ago, PedroMendez said:

Can you explain to me how and why you think the board have been Shambolic.

As far as i can see so far we have signed 3 players, all of which Conte seemed to want for a total of £130m.
And then we have/are getting rid of all the players Conte didn't want rather than forcing them on him.

Before the window all the talk was that Conte preferred Morata but the Board/Emanolo preferred Lukaku so I am glad we have brought Morata over Lukaku. To replace Costa.

We have also replaced Matic with Bakayoko which is something a lot of fans were clamouring for. 

Whilst I agree we are currently a CM as I don't think Conte will trust Baker there and a LWB light of a very good complete squad but that can easily be remedied and we could then further improve on RWB and our 3rd choice striker. But I don't get who our window can be seen as shambolic.

See thread title.

Do worry as much as you like but why don't all of you wait till the window closes to worry? If we sufficiently add to the squad by the end of the month, all that worrying will be wasted :smile: 

It just shows the state of fans nowadays... 130 million spent and the board is called shambolic.

28 minutes ago, enigma said:

people worry too much. why stress over stuff that's out of your control 

Quite a laughable thing to say really in what is probably the most stressful sport in the world. 

The Champions League final against Bayern was out of our control too, were your calm during that game or stressed out like every other Chelsea fan ?

30 minutes ago, Jus4abit said:

See thread title.

Well the thread title is about the quantity of players in the squad we still have more than 25 players on the books and that isn't including promoting players from the reserve squads
We currently have a 25 man squad that potentially looks like this:
Courtouis, Willy, Eduardo   
Luiz, Cahill, Rudiger, Christesen,     JCS,  
Azpi, Moses, Tomori
Alonso, Kenedy/Baba,
Kante, Bakayoko, Fabregas, Baker, ?
Hazard, Willian, Pedro, Boga, Musonda
Bats, Morata, Remy

Plus a few more players waiting to go out on loan or be sold. (Delac, Omerou, Kenedy/Baba, Ceuvas, Wallace, Nathan).

I have highlighted those that should be upgraded, with JCS likely being replaced by a CM. This leaves us with 3 keepers 5 top quality CBs (inc Azpi), 2 decent RWBs (inc Azpi), 1 good LWB, 3 very good CMs. 3 top quality and 2 good AMs and 2 quality and 1 capable back up strikers.  

Whilst 4 signings would make us stronger, is the squad really in shambolic shape or have the board really ruined the squad.

It's not a sh*t squad nor the board have ruined it. There're just 4 holes that needs to be filled for this squad to properly challenge on all fronts. If this squad forgo the cups then it has a strong chance to win the league

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Quite a laughable thing to say really in what is probably the most stressful sport in the world. 

The Champions League final against Bayern was out of our control too, were your calm during that game or stressed out like every other Chelsea fan ?

Totally different watching an actual event play out in front of your eyes. 

If people are actually stressing about transfers they should get a bit more perspective. Once you go beyond the top handful of players in each position in the world, there is in reality much of a muchness as you slowly go down the pecking order. We are not talking about missing out on the chance to sign Lewandowski and being forced to settle for Ashley Barnes.

Stressing over something when you know absolutely nothing about what's actually going on or what conversations are taking place is stupid, end of.

How can i not be ?
Just look what squad we have in 2005-2006:

Cech, Glen Jonhson, Asier del Horno, Makelele, Carvalho, Maniche, Lampard, Crespo, Joe Cole, Duff, Carclton Cole, Gallas, Geremi, Drogba, Robben, Diarra, Fereira, Gudjohnsen, Cudicini, Shaun Wright-Phillips, John Terry, Robert Huth, and youths like Scott Sinclair, Michael Mancienne and 7 more youths .....

Just compare the quality in the starting 11, and the quality in the depths to today ....

Today we lacks big quality even in starting 11, and when i look at the subs it`s make me laugh ....

The board fu**** hard another season, whatever happen till the end.

Conte wanted Lukaku as first choice, didn`t get it. He wanted Walker/Danillo - board fu**** and they go to City. He wanted Sandro - we won`t get it for sure. He wanted VVD - not get it.

Second window in a row, the board failed to land our manager first targets. And let`s face it, they are not players that should be massively hard to bring, like Neymar, Veratti, Couthino, Dybala, Mbappe, Lewandowski, and so on ....

Most of them was playing for a mid table club ....

And of top of that they have huge demands from our coach. Not win the league 1 year and you are out, no matter we screw big and didn`t want your wishes signing. When Conte decide to leave us, the club will be in big trouble.

I don`t see top manager to come here with that management and how little authority the manager have. The only managers that will come will be a money hunters. They will said, no problem for my reputation, if they sack me i will get huge money from the forfeit.

What do football scouts actually do?  I assume we have them worldwide, even in the most obscure places, but it never fails to amaze me that most if not all the top clubs go after the same players when surely worldwide, even in lower leagues of various countries, that there are players better than some of the tripe we see playing in the EPL week in week out that would cost a fraction of an average player that clubs are paying 50 mill for so I really don't see why any club, especially ours, becomes short of 'squad players'.   Clearly someone has dropped the ball this time around but there are 3 weeks or so left before deadline day so lets see what Michael and Co can conjure up to put a smile back on the managers face, because all of this pre-season I haven't seen the same smiley face on Conte as I did throughout last season.

Conte's not been himself. He has thrown innecessary digs at rivals, talked about Harry Kane and said he needs more players. You can see the frustration in him. No wonder if you think you give your all and the club is not putting in the same effort.

We need at least 3 players that are of quality. We are going into CL with a small squad. I think our aim is to be at least semifinalists in CL.

8 hours ago, ashwin said:

Do worry as much as you like but why don't all of you wait till the window closes to worry? If we sufficiently add to the squad by the end of the month, all that worrying will be wasted :smile: 

It just shows the state of fans nowadays... 130 million spent and the board is called shambolic.

Totally agree that their is no reason to name calling, but lets just look at some of the facts.

At the end of the last season we knew:

1. We needed to add some depth in the CM department as well as bring in quality.

2. We needed a RWB, as an upgrade to moses or as a back up.

3. We needed a LWB, as an upgrade to alonso or as a back up.

So this would have been the assessment of anyone related to chelsea (fans/management alike due to our participation in CL this season).

Now while we have spent 130mil on "replacements", have we actually even solved the above issues?

Bakayoko is a matic replacement. Upgrade? Not so sure. Potentially? Yes. Have we increased our depth in the CM department where apart from kante and bakayoko, the only player we have is cesc who is normally found chasing ghosts against a half-decent team. We have sold Nat and replaced him with Baker who simply is not an upgrade. 

Morata is Costa's replacement. Upgrade? Not so sure. Potentially? Yes. So fair enough. Well done to the board.

Rudiger is JT's replacement. Upgrade? Probably. Could we have done without him? Hell yes. We had a 22 year old Ake, 22 year old Zouma and a 20 year old Andreas, all of whom had the potential to be great defenders. Rudiger himself has the potential. We sold ake for 20mil and bought him for 30mil. Well done. I just wonder how much Andreas would have been bought in for had he not been on our books.

Tomori replaces Aina. Upgrade. No idea. If moses gets a long term injury (not unthinkable, look at his record on his loan spells), will we play tomori or Azpi whose attacking instincts leave a lot to be desired. Even if moses does not get an injury, are we going to tell him play the highly demanding WB role for 55+ games in one season?

Kenedy is still here as a LWB. Dont get the hype around him. Cant defend, in attack he makes salah look like messi. And he is apparently our only LWB back up right now. Atleast for RWB we have Azpi/Rudi who can/have played there. Cant wait for poor Azpi to be shifted in this role and him having to shift the ball to his right foot from his left as he has shown several times that he simply lacks the finesse from his left foot.

So despite spending 130mil, have we actually strengthened? Have we actually even solved our issues that we knew existed since April/May?

Currently we are getting linked to:

1. 30 year old Candreva who can play as RWB.

2. 23 year old OX, whose defensive game makes Moses look like Beckenbeaur.

3. 23 year old Ross Barkley (for some reason this rumor really ruffles my feathers). Bang Bang average english player getting touted for 50 f**king million. Unbelievable.

4. Sandro - No chance in hell we get this done. Further more barely any LWB links now.

So why exactly should people be worried, specially with the board getting players like Miazga, hector and Papy just about 2 years ago.

I am a bit worried about the number of quality signings. We have replaced Begovic with Caballero, Terry (Zouma) with Rudiger, Matic with Bakayoko and Costa with Morata. Fine, no complaints about this. But.. we were supposed to strengthen the squad with both quality and above all with depth. From the "second line" players we have sold or loaned Zouma (Terry), Ake, RLC, Chalobah and Aina. What have we got as replacements for those: Christensen and ...

I think we need more signings and a lot!

22 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Totally agree that their is no reason to name calling, but lets just look at some of the facts.

1. We needed to add some depth in the CM department as well as bring in quality.

So this would have been the assessment of anyone related to chelsea (fans/management alike due to our participation in CL this season).

Now while we have spent 130mil on "replacements", have we actually even solved the above issues?

Bakayoko is a matic replacement. Upgrade? Not so sure. Potentially? Yes. Have we increased our depth in the CM department where apart from kante and bakayoko, the only player we have is cesc who is normally found chasing ghosts against a half-decent team. We have sold Nat and replaced him with Baker who simply is not an upgrade. 

Morata is Costa's replacement. Upgrade? Not so sure. Potentially? Yes. So fair enough. Well done to the board.

Rudiger is JT's replacement. Upgrade? Probably. Could we have done without him? Hell yes. We had a 22 year old Ake, 22 year old Zouma and a 20 year old Andreas, all of whom had the potential to be great defenders. Rudiger himself has the potential. We sold ake for 20mil and bought him for 30mil. Well done. I just wonder how much Andreas would have been bought in for had he not been on our books.

Tomori replaces Aina. Upgrade. No idea. If moses gets a long term injury (not unthinkable, look at his record on his loan spells), will we play tomori or Azpi whose attacking instincts leave a lot to be desired. Even if moses does not get an injury, are we going to tell him play the highly demanding WB role for 55+ games in one season?

Kenedy is still here as a LWB. Dont get the hype around him. Cant defend, in attack he makes salah look like messi. And he is apparently our only LWB back up right now. Atleast for RWB we have Azpi/Rudi who can/have played there. Cant wait for poor Azpi to be shifted in this role and him having to shift the ball to his right foot from his left as he has shown several times that he simply lacks the finesse from his left foot.

So despite spending 130mil, have we actually strengthened? Have we actually even solved our issues that we knew existed since April/May?

3. 23 year old Ross Barkley (for some reason this rumor really ruffles my feathers). Bang Bang average english player getting touted for 50 f**king million. Unbelievable.

4. Sandro - No chance in hell we get this done. Further more barely any LWB links now.

So why exactly should people be worried, specially with the board getting players like Miazga, hector and Papy just about 2 years ago.

I agree 100% with this! 

Whilst we have made some good signings we haven't really addressed our "problem areas". Looking at the window so far, we have signed:

Big Willy - Good signing to replace Bego, great 2nd choice goalkeeper brought in on a free.

Rudiger - Not a bad signing, I agree with didier that it feels a little pointless considering the cover we already have/had but he does look good so far. 

Bakayoko - A signing we needed to make with Matic on his way out, haven't watched enough Ligue 1 to comment on his ability and I can't base a player on YouTube highlights. With Chalo going to Watford we seem to have gone a little backwards (transfer market wise) and we our now looking to add another player here...

Morata - Great signing imo and replacing a very good striker in Costa. Despite his poor attitude, recent events etc. you can't deny his ability. He's done with Chelsea (evidently awhile ago) and it seems Conte is done with him. Morata is still young and hasn't really been given the opportunity to be a club's leading forward. Conte has put his faith in him and hopefully that will pay dividends this season.

As dider mentioned above and imo our first 2 major signings should have been a LWB and a RWB. Alonso suprised me this season and I think that can be said for a lot of Chelsea fans. I think he's very good going forward and isn't as bad definitively as some ppl claim he is albeit he's not the best and he does get caught out for his lack of pace at times. Sandro would have been an amazing signing and whilst it's harsh on Alonso he would have been in the starting line-up without a doubt, second best LB in the world behind Marcelo imo. Moses looked a different beast after we changed to a back 3 and it seemed Conte got the best out of him as a RM turned RWB. Looked good going forward and equally adept tracking back defensively. Whether it was the amount of games Moses played that took their toll or what but on the back end of the season he started to look a little suspect and his decision making in the back line is a little worrying at times, something I feel he can improve on this season hopefully. Other than Sandro at LWB we haven't really been in for any RWB's that I can think of?...

With what's left of the window our main focus will hopefully be on both these 2 areas. No chance of signing Sandro unfortunately so hopefully Conte and the board have a back up in mind! 

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

We haven't spent 130 mill, we have spent close to ZERO considering all the income from Matic, Begovic, Ake etc, and we still haven't accounted for the income from Diego Costa. 

Taken into consideration all the profit we have from winning the league and reaching the final of the FA cup, we should have some ridiculous spending power. Also, we will have big earners such as Terry and Costa off the books which should allow us some freedom in terms of wages as well....

I reckon our squad is good enough to challenge for the PL title and to reach the latter stages of the CL, however, we are highly dependent on avoiding injuries on key players. However, being Chelsea FC, we should (and I believe we will), sign some quality players in order to really push for titles this year....

2 hours ago, didierforever said:

Two things first... 1) potential world class players will not want to come in as back up 2) doesn't everyone eant youth to get a chance?

CB - we have considerably strengthened. 5 for 3 positions and we are set. You can add JCS here.

RWB - Moses and Tomori + Christensen/Azpi can play there. Aina simply wasn't good enough, was hardly part of tge squad last year.

LWB - The only position we surely need a back up.

CM - 4 for 2 (inc. Baker)... could do with 1 more but maybe Conte sees something in Baker.

L/R W - comfortable... the 3 mainstays + 2 youth. 1 with great potential (Musonda). 

FW - Again not badly off but could do with 1 more. Hence the Llorente rumours.

I really do not see any doom and gloom here. We continue to have one of the best squads which we have nicely strengthened with the possibility of some youth breaking out at the end of the season.

I'm certain the club has to keep spending in mind nowadays with the stadium coming up. If they cannot spend ridiculous amounts, so be it. I certainly don't see a lack of ambition, just slightly tempered ambition. 

If you're going to critisize the board because of the rumours circulating, then I don't know what to say.

Edited by ashwin

You have to take into consideration we have relatively small stadium, our club is not the biggest in comparison and we are under heavy scrutiny all the time. I think the board is pretty safe these days. We are a healthy business. Well, healthier than before.

Last seasons lack of CL football hit us as well. Not to mention the new plans of expanding the Bridge.

I think we will have strengthened although marginally and not as we desired.

I think Morata and Bats will provide the firepower up front, consistently.

I think we have more cover at centre back.

Wbs have not been strengthened.

Centre midfield a lot rests on Bakayoko, if he is better than Matic we are stronger.

Lots of our players can play more than one role now, there are players to cover Luiz if he needs to cover central midfield, we did not have that option last year.

In saying this I suspect we will get Candreva who will do a job for us for a couple of seasons at RWB and in centre midfield.

The weakness and gamble is still at LWB if Alsonso is injured as I don't think the replacements are strong enough.

I also expect us to strengthen again in January when the transfer market will have changed, where depends on where we see the biggest need after the first half of the season.

For me Conte is more about the system than individual players and assuming he can mold his trim squad we will still be in a good position to challenge and retain our title, though the CL progression will stretch us.

Edited by Strider6003

We rely on Moses way too much. He's done so well but if he gets injured we have only Cesar to cover and he can't go past players like Moses does.

Same goes with Alonso. We actually have no one to cover him. Cesar maybe.

31 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Two things first... 1) potential world class players will not want to come in as back up 2) doesn't everyone eant youth to get a chance?

CB - we have considerably strengthened. 5 for 3 positions and we are set. You can add JCS here.

RWB - Moses and Tomori + Christensen/Azpi can play there. Aina simply wasn't good enough, was hardly part of tge squad last year.

LWB - The only position we surely need a back up.

CM - 4 for 2 (inc. Baker)... could do with 1 more but maybe Conte sees something in Baker.

L/R W - comfortable... the 3 mainstays + 2 youth. 1 with great potential (Musonda). 

FW - Again not badly off but could do with 1 more. Hence the Llorente rumours.

I really do not see any doom and gloom here. We continue to have one of the best squads which we have nicely strengthened with the possibility of some youth breaking out at the end of the season.

I'm certain the club has to keep spending in mind nowadays with the stadium coming up. If they cannot spend ridiculous amounts, so be it. I certainly don't see a lack of ambition, just slightly tempered ambition. 

If you're going to critisize the board because of the rumours circulating, then I don't know what to say.

1. When did I say bring in world class players as back up?

CB - I did say we have decent depth.

RWB - including the 5 CBs, we have 6 senior players for 4 positions (if you count Andreas/Azpi/Rudi as bit-part RWBs). Any way you look at it, we simply are not covered.

LWB - No doubt

CM - if kante/bakayoko gets a long term injury, cant wait for cesc/baker to come in against top teams. Cesc should barely be counted as a CM in a 2 man mid and we barely have 3 CMs to play a 3 man mid or any version of it.

My main area of concern (for that matter most fans') would have been the LWB, RWB and CM positions. We are good in forwards.

I am critisizing the board for lack of proper recruitment. With available LWBs like Mendy and RWBs like Danilo, walker and now even aurier out of the picture and infact goig to our direct rivals, I see a lack of quality players that we can bring in.

I can't see why someone are trying to defend the board. The last 2 windows the board failed to bring the first and even second manager choices. And why in the blue hell someone count players like Baba, Kennedy, Tumori,  Bogs and Musonda, when they won't even play a single match as a starter in the PL or CL. We lack so much depth, that we can't even start a cup game with full bench team. What exactly will happen if we have 3 or 4 injuries together ? We often will play 3 matches in a 9 day period. You will need to rotate the squad a lot. But we don't have quality and even enough depth for that. What happens when someone's form drops? And we didn't spend anything, we sold players for 200m from the winter till now. 

We lacks both qualities and depth and it will shows . The problem is as always the wrong man will took the blame. When the season start always the coach is flamed and took all the crying and complaining. 

It's obviously Conte is not happy with the squad and the windows we have so far. And why we always do our work so late? This is bad for the players, team and the coach. The manager won't know till very late on what player he can rely and I'd this and this player will come. And of course zero time for adapt. And often late, most of the class players are already gone.

The board is good at selling players but too damn lazy to buy some good ass players especially after we win the title. We are capable of signing world class players especially since we bought Fabregas, Costa, Kante, etc. It's just laziness and poor decision making from the board when it comes to buying.