Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Zeta

Barkley

If we can get him for what he's worth come January...around £8m...then he's worth taking a punt at but my instinct is that he's holding out for a Spuds contract because apparently them and the Dippers are the best places to go for young English talent...err good luck lads

Interesting input from Joey Barton though I'd take it with a grain of salt. Still, if it's true, it puts a new twist on the situation.

He said: "I heard a really interesting thing about what happened with the Ross Barkley transfer. Conte turned his phone off and Barkley's representatives were trying to contact him.

"He wanted to say 'look, where am I going to play', and Conte turned his phone off. That is why Barley got cold feet and never signed.

"He thought, 'well, if the manager isn't answering the phone to me he clearly doesn’t want me', and that is why he went back to Everton."

Read more at https://talksport.com/football/joey-barton-reveals-ross-barkley-rejected-chelsea-move-after-antonio-conte-turned-his-phone#ewF5meOwFoo7UQWk.99

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

Interesting input from Joey Barton though I'd take it with a grain of salt. Still, if it's true, it puts a new twist on the situation.

I very much doubt Barton know's anything about the deal.  He sensationalises everything about himself and now add the fact he works for TalkSport I would say that's almost doubled!

I can't see Conte turning his phone off when we're trying to sign a player considering how much he has stated he want's more players! 

3 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

Joey Barton is a know nothing moron that lives in a fantasy land, so ignore literally everything he says in that article.

I can see why, could take over the Fab role and attack at the right side.

But it's a huge gamble. What's the difference between him and RLC when he'll still be struggling for form when he comes in January?

2 minutes ago, the special one said:

Difference between Barkley and RLC imho is that every now and then Barkley can score a worldie, something I'm yet to see from RLC.

I don't know. Over the course of 38 games, Barkley has only a handful of those moments whilst RLC is still a developing 21yr old.

If it was me, I'd rather take a punt on the younger wild card. Barkley for me lacks in footballing IQ.

39 minutes ago, Deino said:

I don't know. Over the course of 38 games, Barkley has only a handful of those moments whilst RLC is still a developing 21yr old.

If it was me, I'd rather take a punt on the younger wild card. Barkley for me lacks in footballing IQ.

Ideally I'd rather we took a punt on RLC too, but I just don't think he has Barkley's end product. I'd like to see Barkley in a similar role to Bakayoko's v United, i.e. I'd like to think Barkley would have put away the chance Bakayoko spooned over the bar. I'm no fan of Barkley but I think 3-5-1-1 could bring out the best in him.

Edited by the special one
Deino likes this

47 minutes ago, the special one said:

Ideally I'd rather we took a punt on RLC too, but I just don't think he has Barkley's end product. I'd like to see Barkley in a similar role to Bakayoko's v United, i.e. I'd like to think Barkley would have put away the chance Bakayoko spooned over the bar. I'm no fan of Barkley but I think 3-5-1-1 could bring out the best in him.

I'd agree that he would have probably finished the chances but would he put in the same type of performances as Bakayoko to get into those positions?

That's the part I'm not exactly assured with him. I admit that I don't watch Everton as much other than certain highlights on tv but what are his contributions to the Everton squad overall? I don't remember seeing him putting fantastic displays against us so it's hard to tell.

21 hours ago, TomCFC85 said:

I'd like to get to the bottom of the deadline day fiasco though...

I personally think a deal was done with Everton which gave us the opportunity to talk to Barkley. We assessed Barkley's condition, realised he wouldn't be back playing much football until January and decided to hold off until the window was open again. I expect us to go back in for him in January with a smaller offer.

Edited by Scott Harris

1 hour ago, BordeauxBlue said:

Cue the "Chelsea snubbed for SPurs" rhetoric if he (hopefully) goes to the bottlers.

I hope to Jeebus we stay away he's just not that good a player and Everton are carpet merchants when it comes to selling their players.

I think they are at the point now where they will have no choice but to sell him cheap. His contract is up at the end of the season.

Not convinced by him really, injury prone and never consistently performed. Why not just get RLC back next season, probably getting a similar caliber of player and save 30M plus the 100k a week. By investing so much in youth, we can't just buy a 30M squad player every time there's a gap to fill, either spend 60M for a top player or promote from within

17 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Not convinced by him really, injury prone and never consistently performed. Why not just get RLC back next season, probably getting a similar caliber of player and save 30M plus the 100k a week. By investing so much in youth, we can't just buy a 30M squad player every time there's a gap to fill, either spend 60M for a top player or promote from within

Totally agree. Has never lived up to the hype and is not a reliable player discipline-wise. Poor positionally, and also loses it in big games. Has similar workrate issues to RLC, but just can't see that he has any more to offer than RLC.

He'd cost a lot less than £30m, given his contract status, but I still would prefer to give RLC  his place in the squad.

EDIT: Just read the Sun's report on the latest rumour

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4875212/chelsea-ross-barkley-january-spree-christian-benteke/

I know it's the Sun, but I wish their journalists knew how to use Google. In the above article they claimed this:

Barkley had a medical at Chelsea in the summer but pulled out of a move

And yet back in September, the BBC carried this report which said there was no medical:

Midfielder Ross Barkley has denied Everton's claim that he turned down a transfer deadline-day move to Chelsea after having a medical.

Majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri said Everton had accepted a bid and Barkley had agreed terms.

But the 23-year-old tweeted on Saturday that he had not had a medical "with any club at any point".

"I decided it would be best to make a decision and assess all my options in January when fully fit," he said.

Edited by Backbiter