Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Fatty_Speeding

Danny Drinkwater

Seems we're linked with Danny Drinkwater

I know there's likely to be a lot of apathy from fans about the Englishness and unsexiness of this transfer but in my opinion he's the ideal candidate for our central midfield options; someone who is good defensively, creatively, proven in the Premier League and Champions League, works well with Kante and won't cost the earth when we already have world class in his position and could do with purchasing genuine world class in other areas.

10 minutes ago, evissy said:

Are we really after Steve Sidwell? Is this 2007? 

No.

1 minute ago, doctorblue said:

Would prefer Wilshere over him...however, Oxlaide Chamberlain is the best option as he can cover RWB and CM...it's just getting him out of Arsenal this year...

When Wilshere is always injured and Oxlade-Chamberlain can't defend?

Lewis Baker for me. Just give him the 4th spot and let him show what he can do. Drinkwater is not going to add much to our squad, he's hardly going to help us compete in the CL, so why not show some faith in an academy player for once.

Edited by Zeta
jack_super_class and Nibs like this

1 minute ago, Zeta said:

Lewis Baker for me. Just give him the 4th spot and let him show what he can do. Drinkwater is not going to add much to our squad, he's hardly going to help us compete in the CL, so why not show some faith in an academy player for once.

Spot On.

Bloody hell, Chalobah, RLC, Ake, Baker.................I would take them all over an average player like Drinkwater. Sure he had a good season along with the rest of the Leicester team in 2015/16 but we saw how ordinary he looked without Kante.

NO!!

I think most people's problem stems from not Drinkwater himself but what he represents.
Yes, Kante and Bakayoko will likely be our starting 11 with Fabregas getting more game time this season, Drinkwater will be there to fill the English quota and provide depth.
But, many see this as a step backwards, sell a solid player to our rivals and replace him with an arguably mediocre player, not replace him with one of our youths, not replace him with someone of potential or world class ability, I think many just see this as the board willing to accept mediocrity in order to turn a profit.
Drinkwater represents something deep, something more, because in truth, we all fear of becoming Arsenal. 

21 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

I think most people's problem stems from not Drinkwater himself but what he represents.
Yes, Kante and Bakayoko will likely be our starting 11 with Fabregas getting more game time this season, Drinkwater will be there to fill the English quota and provide depth.
But, many see this as a step backwards, sell a solid player to our rivals and replace him with an arguably mediocre player, not replace him with one of our youths, not replace him with someone of potential or world class ability, I think many just see this as the board willing to accept mediocrity in order to turn a profit.
Drinkwater represents something deep, something more, because in truth, we all fear of becoming Arsenal. 

Wise man say Drinkwaters run deep?

Michael likes this

26 minutes ago, dan_cfc said:

Would prefer Chamberlain can cover a variety of positions.

Has anyone seen Chamberlain play Central?  He's useless. He's not played there enough to know were he's supposed position himself, and if you think Fabregas is a liability in defensive situations then he's got nothing on Chamberlain.  Not convinced he's a wing back either, he's a right mid and thats it.  I would rather play Baker, Willian or Luiz in central midfield.  At least Drinkwater is an actual central Midfielder, has a decent range of passing and can put his foot in. 

Strider6003 likes this

16 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

It represents pragmatism. The kids aren't going to get in ahead of Fabregas/Kante/Bakayoko and it'll do them more harm than good sitting on the bench for the duration of the season.  We could go ahead and shop around in this crazy market for someone who is top tier or even potentially top tier as a central midfielder but then we'd lose another foreign spot, and a big wad of cash that we should really be using to upgrade positions where we don't even have one top tier player for that spot let alone three top tier players for two spots.

I don't think Abramovich is suddenly going to develop a raunchy moustache and a monotone midwest-American accent any time soon.

3 minutes ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

It represents pragmatism. The kids aren't going to get in ahead of Fabregas/Kante/Bakayoko and it'll do them more harm than good sitting on the bench for the duration of the season.  We could go ahead and shop around in this crazy market for someone who is top tier or even potentially top tier as a central midfielder but then we'd lose another foreign spot, and a big wad of cash that we should really be using to upgrade positions where we don't even have one top tier player for that spot let alone three top tier players for two spots.

I don't think Abramovich is suddenly going to develop a raunchy moustache and a monotone midwest-American accent any time soon.

I think this is the point, realistically how many games would a 4th choice midfielder get next season?  Man Utd have always had a few cr@p British players in there squad filling in when they're struggling.  We just need a few Ashley Youngs who are willing to not even make the bench, and get their 3 games a season.  No top player is going to accept that role, and most youngsters with any ambition aren't either.

18 minutes ago, Fatty_Speeding said:

But if we're buying someone because we can't offer the youngsters enough games at the moment, how is that going to change next year when we're stuck with Drinkwater, having spent loads of money on him and probably with another 3-4 years on his deal? They still won't get games, and we'll be in the same situation we are every year, of picking "established" players over them.

We can't just get anyone even if we are that desperate. We should toe the line between buying key established players and promoting youth not yoyoing from one to the other

It would be really depressing if we settle with Drinkwater after selling Matic. Like others have said, i would rather just stick with Baker and give him a chance.

This is one reason why we should sign players BEFORE selling players. We end up settling on average footballers like Drinkwater because we get desperate.

8 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

It would be really depressing if we settle with Drinkwater after selling Matic. Like others have said, i would rather just stick with Baker and give him a chance.

This is one reason why we should sign players BEFORE selling players. We end up settling on average footballers like Drinkwater because we get desperate.

Surely Bakayoko is the Matic replacement we bought before selling?  I see Baker as Chalobah's replacement and any new signing will be extra depth or the next Obi Mikel no?

AndyBlue82 likes this

27 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

We may as well just have kept Mikel as a back up rather than spend 25 - 30 million on Drinkwater.

Think it is £35m we have offered. Assuming he has recovered from his injury last season I think in the current climate it would be good business. He can tackle, has a turn of pace, can cross and shoot. Not outstanding yet not average either and has experience. With Europe he is likely to be used either in the CL or back in the league. At some point we are likely to see injuries and we will need decent cover.

He is Kante's mate too which might be another plus.

wallosh likes this

1 hour ago, TomCFC85 said:

Well to be fair we replaced Matic with Bakayoko not Drinkwater, drinkwater would be replacing chalobah, where we may not have hugely upgraded the players we brought in I think are slightly better but more importantly younger, but I still think we need some real quality in the team not just depth.

I was watching the city vs Real game, they are stacked with quality all over the pitch, if they had better CB's and added a world class CM they would be on par with the top clubs in the world talent wise, we have top class players in Hazard, Tibo, Morata, Kante and Dave and good players in Luiz, Bakayoko, Pedro, Rudiger.

The rest of the squad is either decent or not good enough if we had Sandro and another quality RWB we can put out a first team that should compete with anyone in the world with a couple of positions , and still the need for some quality rotation players, as stands we just aren't good enough to beat the top teams, so I agree we need to aim higher but for a backup drinkwater is dependable even if not brilliant.