Sign of the times

Zola
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, Zola said:

We only really have Gary Cahill now as the last English man in our team,  who will actually get a game! 

I'm sure the club would like more of an English spine/identity but who are the players that are available to do that? 

When you're looking at £30m for players like Pickford and Keane it's little wonder we look elsewhere. 

We've been linked with Barkley and Chamberlain but how likely are either of those clubs to want to deal with us? Beyond that I can't see who would improve us and Spurs aren't going to sell us a virus let alone Kane or Deli Alli 

Just now, coco said:

Theoretically, post Brexit, is their anything stopping the Premier League from limiting the number of overseas players in a squad ? 

There's probably nothing stopping them already but it's counter productive for them. 

The Premier League is the most watched partly because it's so cosmopolitan. Limit the number of overseas players and not only does the quality of football decline but also the desire for foreign fans to tune in because they like to to watch their native players. 

11 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Limit the number of overseas players and not only does the quality of football decline

We managed alright before the masses of overseas players came to these shores, English clubs were some of the best in the World,  only Heysels in 85 stopped that domination. 

But yeah i do agree that it wont happen because of the money.

Brexit might actually make it easier for non European players to gain permits, it might in turn make the premier league even more diverse.

If I remember correctly we were worried about Traore being able to sign a new contract a while back as he wasn't elligable for a permit.

I think what Brexit might do is force teams to only bring elite talent into the country, with work permits being properly enforced. At present lower league teams are looking to the continent to fill their squads, this has led to young players who would normally gain good game time from this country scratching around for clubs. My own home town team are looking at a Belgian winger Gyamfi Kyeremeh from a German fourth tier, this may be an inspired bit of scouting though more likely it’s a cheap option, driving down the quality of our leagues and removing the chances of a young English player. The lower leagues were a traditional hunting grounds of our more successful teams before all the foreign imports.

Well the large majority of the English are bang average these days so it's no wonder really. The youth set ups do look very impressive however so I think in the future there will be a lot more quality English playing for the top clubs.

Maybe if English youngsters can't get a game over here, they should move abroad to play. Why do so few English players go abroad to play the game ? we seem to be the only country that doesn't do it. Spanish footballers are playing all over the world, Brazilian, Argentinian, French, Dutch, Italian, German, etc, they are all the same. No wonder English footballers have stagnated, it's either spend the early years of your career sitting on the bench or going out on loan to play a handful of games for lower league teams. English youngsters seem to prefer to go to lower league English teams or sit on the bench at a mid table Premier League team than go out on loan to teams that can play Europa League football.

If you're going to be a top player, the signs are more often than not there to see in your late teens or very early 20's. So many English youngsters waste those years in my opinion.

The best players in the World play in the PL. So i am not bothered about English players missing out. If they are good enough they will play. After our match on Sunday i turned over to watch Bolton v Leeds on tv. Leeds were nearly all non- English. So it is even going the same way in the Championship.

Just now, Strider6003 said:

How about then if we were to say the bottom tow leagues should be all British born and let the Championship and Premier league stay as is?

That way at least the British kids get a chance?

Still not sure about that tbh. Rules will never be changed. It would be against employment laws. 

1 hour ago, Scott Harris said:

Maybe if English youngsters can't get a game over here, they should move abroad to play. Why do so few English players go abroad to play the game ? we seem to be the only country that doesn't do it. 

Short answer, because they get paid more here to sit on the bench then they would do starting anywere else in Europe