Sign in to follow this  
Barrettinator

We officially have an incompetent board

5 minutes ago, startedwithglenn said:

Yeah because obviously anyone not constantly moaning like an entitled biatch believes all of those. Not like some people are capable of rational thinking or anything.

A smart person would point out what part of my opinion has been irrational. But I guess it's easier to just say I'm moaning. Carry on then.

4 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

A smart person would point out what part of my opinion has been irrational. But I guess it's easier to just say I'm moaning. Carry on then.

Well it's not only irrational but also downright stupid to take from my post that the whinging is embarrassing that I am of the opinion that we have a perfect squad, had a perfect window and are going to win everything.

Just now, startedwithglenn said:

Well it's not only irrational but also downright stupid to take from my post that the whinging is embarrassing that I am of the opinion that we have a perfect squad, had a perfect window and are going to win everything.

It's also downright stupid and weirdly conceited to tag fans who are trying to hold the board accountable for a summer even the manager won't be satisfied with as whinging, entitled fans. But here we are.

Is funny now I think about it more. At the mo I am not upset over matic or costa. I wanted them both gone, felt we could do better.

I am happier with morata and with baka or Danny boy than with them it is just the selling to United part I am not happy with.

However had the rumours panned out and we signed mahrez I would say it was a good window. Add a good other striker option a very good window. Funny how one or two more signings will change an outlook.

I don't feel a misguided entitlement to tell other people how to spend their money to best suit me. Roman bought the right to do as he pleases when he bought the club. He can employ who he wants and direct them how he wants.

Just because he originally chose to outspend all of our rivals and gave me years as a fan I never dreamt of, I do not feel entitled to have it that way forever, nor do I need it.

1 hour ago, startedwithglenn said:

I don't feel a misguided entitlement to tell other people how to spend their money to best suit me. Roman bought the right to do as he pleases when he bought the club. He can employ who he wants and direct them how he wants.

Just because he originally chose to outspend all of our rivals and gave me years as a fan I never dreamt of, I do not feel entitled to have it that way forever, nor do I need it.

Well said.

We've been very fortunate for the last 15 years or so to have a benefactor who has been very generous. However, it became apparent some years ago now that that generosity could not continue unabated & that the club would have to at some future stage to make the move to become self-sustaining and in that regard we have mostly done very well. The missing piece in that respect as far as revenues are concerned was always match day revenues and of course this is now coming to fruition after years of wrangling and negotiations. So the parameters in respect to spending were set some years ago because of the need to re-develop the existing ground & the huge cost of doing so. And, despite that, we still remain very competitive and have managed to win the title twice and another european trophy since the self-sustaining financial model was adopted.

The simple reality is that at present we will not always be able to match the likes on offer from Utd, City, Real, Barca et al for the very best players and nor should we be paying frankly ridiculous transfer prices for journeymen players. True it is that at present, our 1st team squad may be considered by some to be a bit threadbare and especially should injuries occur to key players but, it seems to me and others no doubt, that those who keep harping on about this have lost sight of the fact that the self-sustaining model must have preeminence. As such, and until the new stadium is finished this is where we are at. Now it seems to me that the club & board's position is very rational.

1 hour ago, TheChelseaBlues said:

They tried to spene a record amount on a wing back and brought in 5 players who are going to start at some point or from the get go. Pretty good outlay in my eyes. Spending money isn't the only sign of ambition

problem is the players that we bought have the quality more or less the same with the ones we got rid or the ones that we currently have. the only one i'm confident with is Bakayoko, which i think is better than Matic. although it's not very hard to be better than a lamppost is it

1 hour ago, magichat said:

problem is the players that we bought have the quality more or less the same with the ones we got rid or the ones that we currently have. the only one i'm confident with is Bakayoko, which i think is better than Matic. although it's not very hard to be better than a lamppost is it

I think we have to consider what 'got rid of' really entails.

Costa always had one foot out the door and could hardly be counted on for a whole season, for me Morara is an upgrade in everything from attitude to performance so far.

As you say Baka is likely an upgrade on Matic if we're playing just 2 CMs. Selling him to United does make it worse though. 

I wish we could have kept Chalo but he wanted out, we have a buyback clause and Drinks is at least even with him right now in terms of quality. 

Losing Ake sucks but for the fee we got and having both Rudiger and Andreas step in to replace him I'm not upset. He's a good footballer and versitile but I don't think he'll ever be good enough to lock down one position for us. 

That's about everyone of consequence we sold right? So they've all been upgraded on or replaced in terms of quality. You could argue Costa is more proven on the pitch than Morata but off the pitch counts as well. 

Add in Zappacosta who will likely relagate Moses to 2nd choice before January and I think we've done alright aside from signing a 3rd ST which we may not need considering Hazard can play withdrawn there in a pinch. 

We have solutions at the three spots, LwB, ST and CM, most of us think we lack. Personally I think we've planned well for the future by sacrificing a little depth this season. I'm already excited for next season when we'll be a serious threat to win the treble. 

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

6 hours ago, Drogbaholic said:

Such a shame our game against Leicester is two weeks away. Now I have to spend the next two weeks listening to these whiners. They're on twitter, Facebook and even on this forum. 

How do you listen to them on Twitter, Facebook or this forum? I can only read what they post.

Do you hear voices?

5 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

I'm a troll because I'm frustrated with the way our board conducts business? You think I f**king prefer to be pissed off rather than kicking my feet up and watching other clubs scramble after having done our business early in the summer? You think I PREFER to complain? Do you think I'm 12 years old or something? Look at the time. The Drinkwater deal has still not been completed and is still in limbo. Do you like that? If you do then I have nothing else to say to you. And if you don't like it then wtf are you attacking me for? You expect Conte to work miracles with sticks and bones again? I hope none of you are surprised if he does walk away at the end of the season. You seem to be content with how things are run at this club and if you truly are then fair enough. Carry on.

Just for one second, just try and imagine what it must be like to care this much about football (a sport).

How do you listen to them on Twitter, Facebook or this forum? I can only read what they post.
Do you hear voices?
That's where I saw the leprechaun, he told me to burn things.

22 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

One could read this comment and think this was an Everton fan talking. Everyone knew we needed to spend far more than £100m to improve both the squad and the first team. You say we spent £100m, how much do you think we've made in sales? Almost £120m. And that's not factoring in the £153m from winning the league PLUS the £100m from Nike and Yokohama. We didn't even need to get a single penny from Roman to do the right business this summer and we still bottled it.

You got me, I'm a West Ham fan, thought of the avatar of Super Frank made that obvious.

Judging from the majority of your posts in this topic you clearly know more how Chelsea's finances and all the intricacies involved more than me and indeed every Shed Ender. So is all the sponsorship money & the money received from the sale of players in received in one go? I honestly don't know so your knowledge is welcome.

And there's nothing wrong with being an Everton fan Jesus Christ. Everyone wants the best for their club but I can't believe the amount of negativity on here.

3 hours ago, youlots said:

Well said.

We've been very fortunate for the last 15 years or so to have a benefactor who has been very generous. However, it became apparent some years ago now that that generosity could not continue unabated & that the club would have to at some future stage to make the move to become self-sustaining and in that regard we have mostly done very well. The missing piece in that respect as far as revenues are concerned was always match day revenues and of course this is now coming to fruition after years of wrangling and negotiations. So the parameters in respect to spending were set some years ago because of the need to re-develop the existing ground & the huge cost of doing so. And, despite that, we still remain very competitive and have managed to win the title twice and another european trophy since the self-sustaining financial model was adopted.

The simple reality is that at present we will not always be able to match the likes on offer from Utd, City, Real, Barca et al for the very best players and nor should we be paying frankly ridiculous transfer prices for journeymen players. True it is that at present, our 1st team squad may be considered by some to be a bit threadbare and especially should injuries occur to key players but, it seems to me and others no doubt, that those who keep harping on about this have lost sight of the fact that the self-sustaining model must have preeminence. As such, and until the new stadium is finished this is where we are at. Now it seems to me that the club & board's position is very rational.

Also well said.

This is a very well reasoned argument and makes perfect sense. My only criticism around this rationale is the continued disregard for the development of our youth. All of the above makes sound fiscal sense, but surely, whilst we are going through this transition of developing the stadium and running the club on a sounder economical platform, we would draw upon the resources already at our disposal, that we have painstakingly developed, very successfully if trophies, international call ups, international tournament success etc, are the tools to guide our progress by.

Allowing promising, HG quota, youngsters to leave the club without giving them a full and fair crack of the whip, only to then pursue bang average players that are struggling to play in their own first teams and then to laughingly be rejected by these journeyman just doesn't make logical sense.

And let's be honest, this was not media speculation or just general interest. Whether Barkley was or wasn't having his medical he had still travelled to the club and concluded negotiations. Our knickers were well and truly off by this stage.

Poor RLC. The kid has truly served his apprenticeship and is still deemed, in many quarters, to not be up to the first team, yet we ardently pursue Ross Barkley who has been an under performing serial failure throughout his career, to the point that Koeman has seen through him and has bombed him. The most gutted person yesterday over this deal falling through was the Everton major shareholder! I am not saying that RLC is good enough for our UCL squad, but I am saying he is better than Ross Barkley and has 2 years on him to improve further.

Despite the debacle of the deadline day I think the overall window has been a success. I just wish we had identified our marquee player and had traded early, discreetly and sufficiently big enough to have got the deal done.

I have been saying move Costa to PSG plus £50m and wade in for Verratti. As an example if a deal such as this had happened early and quietly I would have even bothered looking at the news yesterday.

When all is said and done Jose Mourinho may have been correct. He had similar behind the scenes issues when here, he goes to Man Utd and pretty much all of his deals are done early and he gets what he wants. Oh and then Ibra falls into his lap a nice little bonus.

6 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Also well said.

This is a very well reasoned argument and makes perfect sense. My only criticism around this rationale is the continued disregard for the development of our youth. All of the above makes sound fiscal sense, but surely, whilst we are going through this transition of developing the stadium and running the club on a sounder economical platform, we would draw upon the resources already at our disposal, that we have painstakingly developed, very successfully if trophies, international call ups, international tournament success etc, are the tools to guide our progress by.

Allowing promising, HG quota, youngsters to leave the club without giving them a full and fair crack of the whip, only to then pursue bang average players that are struggling to play in their own first teams and then to laughingly be rejected by these journeyman just doesn't make logical sense.

And let's be honest, this was not media speculation or just general interest. Whether Barkley was or wasn't having his medical he had still travelled to the club and concluded negotiations. Our knickers were well and truly off by this stage.

Poor RLC. The kid has truly served his apprenticeship and is still deemed, in many quarters, to not be up to the first team, yet we ardently pursue Ross Barkley who has been an under performing serial failure throughout his career, to the point that Koeman has seen through him and has bombed him. The most gutted person yesterday over this deal falling through was the Everton major shareholder! I am not saying that RLC is good enough for our UCL squad, but I am saying he is better than Ross Barkley and has 2 years on him to improve further.

Despite the debacle of the deadline day I think the overall window has been a success. I just wish we had identified our marquee player and had traded early, discreetly and sufficiently big enough to have got the deal done.

I have been saying move Costa to PSG plus £50m and wade in for Verratti. As an example if a deal such as this had happened early and quietly I would have even bothered looking at the news yesterday.

When all is said and done Jose Mourinho may have been correct. He had similar behind the scenes issues when here, he goes to Man Utd and pretty much all of his deals are done early and he gets what he wants. Oh and then Ibra falls into his lap a nice little bonus.

Barcelona couldn't get Verratti, a club he wanted to go to but somehow you think Chelsea would get him? Psg don't need the cash and Diego doesn't want to go to psg.

Mourinho got everything he wanted from Man Utd in his first season and still finished 6th; about 20pts behind us. Conte pretty much won the league comfortably with the same Mourinho payers he thought wasn't good enough.  

I wish we would get our business sorted out sooner. Waiting until literally the deadline, and in Drinkwater's case, about 2 hours after the deadline, is not good enough. They've had months to sort this out. They want to penny pinch, but leaving it until this late just means they have to pay even more, because clubs know we are desperate.

Losing out on Llorente is going to hurt us big time. I might sound harsh but Michy is a pathetic striker in this league. Not particularly good at anything other than tweeting and as thing stands he'll have to start many games for us this season which will cost us points. And while our main rivals have plenty of options up front we practicly have one good striker which is not enough for 60 games.

From september 9th to september 30th we play 7 hugely important games in the league, cup and champions league. Morata will not be able to start 7 games in 21 days so clearly Michy will have to start. Can't say i look forward too it.

12 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

Complete nonsense. Costa and Matic in that first 14 and replaced them with players who have to prove they're better (hopefully they are). We lost Terry and Zouma and replaced with Rudiger and Christensen. We still haven't upgraded at both wing back positions like we knew we should and seemingly planned to do. We have 3 CMs atm compared to 5 last year. Reading your post, one would think we added to the squad and no one left at all. Take off your blue tinted glasses for once.

Rudiger and Christensen are upgrades on JT & Zouma.
The players that left barring Costa & Matic, (Morata hasn't started too badly has he?, and we'll see about Matics replacement) were either players that wanted to leave or were not considered good enough by the club (loanees excluded of course).
We have brought in 6 experienced players this window, it doesn't matter how many 'stocking fillers' leave..
We can't win it every year, but our ''incompetent' board don't seem to have done too bad in the last few... Do they ????
And as for my 'blue tinted glasses', i suggest you take your spoilt buy, buy, buy brat attitude and take it where i dont need any sunglasses !! 

9 hours ago, Orpington_Blue said:

Two weeks? Think it will be pretty much constant till will are out of contention for the title and trophies this season. Could go all the way till October.

We win against Leicester, move up the table and all this will be forgotten; at least until next summer. Football fans aren't exactly known for their long attention span.

I am not going to complain much about the signings we've made, I think they are good signings and at least match the starting 11 we had last season, and we won the Premier, and have slightly improved the quality of the bench. Morata is top class and will improve for sure. He has already 2 goals and 2 assists in his pocket, so I think he will be very good for us. Bakayoko is a better replacement for Matic than I hoped for, and is also younger, so no complain there. Rudiger is also a player apparently Conte wanted, and being on the German national team says something good about him. Hopefully, under our competent medical team he won't pick up any injury. Bringing back Andreas and not loaning him, has also been a good move. We have a very good and quality depth in defence, in my opinion. Last day's signings have brought what we needed most, players to rotate in the wing back and the midfield. Zappacosta, from what I've read, looks like the RWB Alonso, we don't know about him but has all the potential to surprise us. Drinkwater is a solid player, not world class, but a good midfielder that also had a good partnership with Kante. So yes, I am overall happy with the signings. Had we signed a LWB and a second choice striker, it would have been the perfect window, but I am happy with the signings and can't complain about the numbers either.

Now my complaints about the board or whoever is/are responsible to sign players. For whatever reason none of us know, we are slower in making deals than rivals. Even the signings above have been slow. And, despite being the present champions, we don't seem to have the power to attract players to the team. The two most obvious cases, and those we know for sure we made a bid for, are those of Oxlade-Chamberlain and Llorente. AOC wanted to go to Liverpool, some say it is the team he supports. Bad taste, yes, but fair that he wants to go to the dippers. The case of Llorente baffles me. We know Conte wanted him last season during the January window, and we know we've been linked to him this summer in several occasions having made a bid on him at the end. It is also the case that he wanted to play with Conte and he has no obvious reasons to prefer Spurs over Chelsea. What on earth did we do that he chose Spurs over us? Something has got to change in the way we conduct the business of signing players, we need to be quicker and make playing for a club like Chelsea more appealing. FFS we are the team in London winning the silverware!

Other second complaint about them is the way we plan the window transfers. If the coach has identified areas to reinforce and has suggested that the youth players are not ready to play, please, do not sell/loan them before we fill the squad with depth. I am not suggesting buying all players and then selling/loan the youth, but it is a matter of getting one position covered at the same time that we send on loan the player we don't need. It can all be done at the same time with a good planning and, we wouldn't be leaving it to the last day to fill the bench! So they need also to improve the planning, not just the speed.