Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

One to five.

After the Qarabag match I'd say.

1 Christensen

2 Azpi

3 Rudi

4 Luiz

5 Gazza

But if you turned that upside down I may not disagree.

What's my point? We have 5 great center backs people.

This is going to be a special season IMHO.

Wow a lot of people putting Christensen rather high.  Don't get me wrong, great player and probably our best against Qarabag, but I don't think hes achieved or performed to the level of the other guys yet.  I've factored in Cahill's leadership qualities and grit in the below, otherwise could consider swapping him and Rudi.

Luiz
Dave
Cahill
Rudiger
Christensen 

I've learnt over the years not to write off Gary Cahill. Yeah he's got a mistake in him every now and again, but he's also been very solid for us and came through with more than his share of clutch goals.

4 hours ago, Qaz said:

I've learnt over the years not to write off Gary Cahill. Yeah he's got a mistake in him every now and again, but he's also been very solid for us and came through with more than his share of clutch goals.

Yeah I still think he's good enough to start for us, he was decent for England but it seems like he's a bit nervous playing for Chelsea now there's stronger competition than ever before; Rudi, Andreas and Zouma as well for next season.

Really context-dependent.

In what system? In a back three Azpilicueta is probably in the top two; in a back four he is obviously dead last.

In what role? Luiz is great in his particular custom-made position within our defence; if he had to do Cahill's job he would likely be far less good at it.

And also in what tactical context? Backs against the wall, defending from our own penalty box there are probably few better than Cahill. A match in which we need to dominate possession and might require incision and creativity from our centre-backs would probably favour Luiz or Christensen.

In current system for first team.

1. Luiz

2.Dave

3. Rudi

4. Gaz

5. Christensen

In a 4

1. Rudi

2. Gaz

3. Christensen

4. Luis

5. Dave

Overall dependability for chelsea first team.

1. Dave

2. Gaz

3. Luiz

4. Rudi

5. Christensen

Potential

1. Christensen

2. Rudi

3. Dave

4. Luis

5.Gaz

In a 3 CB formation

Azpilicueta

Luiz

Rudiger / Christensen ( can't decide on either of them at the moment, they have both had good starts )

Cahill

In a 2 CB formation

Rudiger

Christensen

Luiz

Cahill

Azpilicueta

In a 3 CB formation defending for our lives

Cahill

Luiz

Azpilicueta

Christensen / Rudiger

In a 2 CB formation defending for our lives

Cahill

Luiz

Christensen / Rudiger

Azpilicueta

I'm obviously in the minority here or perhaps even alone but even in a back four I'd have Azpilicueta above Luiz. It's like everyone's forgotten just how much of a bombscare he was as part of a back four for us.

In terms of a 3 as we play:

1. Azpilicueta

2. Luiz

3. Cahill

4. Christensen

5. Rudiger

So, explanation... I've chosen Gaz above the other two purely because of how much I've seen of him, in my opinion Christensen and Rudiger have started well for us but it's still very early days for both of them with us, whereas Gaz has seen and won it all with us.

I've went with Christensen over Rudiger for the same reason, I've seen more of him and I think he's magnificent on the ball for a centre half, especially factoring in his age.

My top three aren't necessarily the ones I'd play either as I'd factor in the ages and wanting to develop Rudiger & Christensen in the equation as well.

It's a really hard question though. We're very lucky with our centre back options, especially when you add Zouma to the mix who is looking like he's starting to get back to form at Stoke.