Atletico Madrid Vs Chelsea (CL) Wed 27 Sep 2017 KO 19:45 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Bit harsh on Murphy blaming him for something Mills said!

Oops my bad :p I was just so escatic with the win and these pundits just cant accept the fact that we were the force today in such a difficult game...they all are same though !!

Edited by fun2sh

I ended up watching this with on a feed with earphones on and a stream with commentary in Arabic. I thought it would do my head in, but the crazy Arab commentator was clearly pro Chelsea, and made every moment sound like the last end to end minutes of an epic Champions' League final - even when it was just Cahill passing the ball square to Azpilicueta. I don't know if it's that same guy who commentates on those Arabic broadcasts, but every moment sounds like an epic eulogy of some sort. He could make a dead rubber premiership end of season match between West Brom and Brighton seem like world war three had started and ended in 90 minutes (the man is crazy!).

Was a really enjoyable and intense game to watch right the way through, with only the 70-80 minute mark where the team slowed down a little. 

Fantastic performances from the players. Atletico were outfought and the comments from Simeone are spot on. 

Team defended so strongly, every player was right up for every battle. Lost count of how many personal duels won.

Morata standing  strong and sending that player flying  summed it up for me. Kante too, the little warrior, fighting off three players at a time. 

You've got to love Kante. I don't care who you are. Even if you hate Chelsea, how can anyone not love this guy?

Edited by Sun zhi

Luiz gave the pen away but I thought he was very solid, the whole back 3 were, what a defender Luiz has turned out to be. When we resigned him I thought Conte & the board were on drugs but his defending has massively improved. Has anyone also noticed how players never pressure Luiz in our half like they pressure Cahill & Azpi? Luiz is that comfortable on the ball it's pointless pinning 2 players on him because he never gives the ball away, always makes the right decision, so composed. 

7 minutes ago, Jackbuchanan said:

I got up at 4:45am for this one, although was woke up at 2:30 when the mrs mum called ffs, doesn't seem to understand the concept of time difference!! So off to work after about 3hrs sleep. Certainly dont regret it though, what a game!! Deserved win away against a top top side, and the look on Diego's face at the end was the icing on the cake!!

Great performance all round;

Courtois - 7, solid but didnt have much to do.

Dave - 7.5, Another solid defensive performance, but didn't do anything note worthy. 

Luiz - 6.5, Some excellent moments, that ball to morata, but gave away a silly pen. 

Cahill - 7.5, Solid

Alonso - 8, good game defensively and provided the assist for the win

Moses - 8, run that flank, good game

Bakayoko - 8.5, excellent performance, good pressing and driving runs

Kanté - 9, At his best tonight, was effective when he pushed forward and pressured their defence

Cesc - 7.5, decent game, but the cesc magic wasnt in abundance tonight. 

Hazard - 9, run the show, Man of the match

Motata - 8.5, another excellent performance, another well taken header, very excited about his partnership with Hazard. 

Batsman - honourable mention, did exactly what a super sub should do, nice finish Michy!!

Guessing you're another Aussie as I got up 4:45am to watch the game too.

Stupid me though left 2 minutes into extra time to get to work and missed the 94th minute winner haha.

Courtois - 7, did he job on the few moments he was called upon

Dave - 7.5, did his job well and with minimal fuss

Luiz - 6.5, again like with Arsenal, was our best defender before doing something really stupid. His pass to Morata first half was fantastic. Thus far Christiansen has been very conservative with his passing from the back, so we haven't seen if he has the Luiz quality distribution. But that distribution is a really handy thing to have coming out from the back and something i noticed as opposed to the Stoke game.

Cahill - 7.5, did his job well and with minimal fuss

Alonso - 7.5, good. didn't get hurt defensively too often and was okay going forward. I missed the 94th minute winner which apparently he was key in so added an extra 0.5 to score based on that.

Moses - 7, good defensively but didn't do much going forward. Unfortunately I haven't seen a great deal from Moses so far this season. He's definitely developed his defensive sense, but i'm waiting for him to show a bit more offensively like he did last season. But that said, as long as he continues to do his job defensively and he have other players creating, we'll be fine.

Bakayoko - 7.5, I liked his game. He was solid, kept his shape, kept us in control in midfield for most of the game. But here's the issue, and it's not really his fault. I feel with Hazard dropping deep from a 2nd forward role, it lead to Kante and (to a lessor extent Bakayoko) being more obligated to get forward and into the opposition box as there was no one there in that role. They both did it (Kante more than Bakayoko), but neither really were suited to that role and I think it lead to attacks breaking down throughout the match. We kind of needed a Vidal or a Lampard as opposed to both Kante and Bakayoko. That is, someone who could do the defensive work rate but offered a little more going forward.

Kanté - 8, Broke up the play really well but was a bit wasteful going forward. See above for more details.

Cesc - 7, Next to Kante and Bakayoko it felt like he'd do well with the time and space he'd be afforded. But instead his slowness saw the game bypass him a little and he just didn't get forward enough which meant Kante and Bakayoko had to (of which neither are as suited as he is).

Hazard - 9, Excellent. Brilliant. Absolute stand out. Tactically i'd kind of prefer him starting deeper as opposed to as a 2nd forward, but he came deep when the team had the ball anyway and was excellent.

Motata - 8, Very good game. Looked strong, good in the air.

Just now, Slojo said:

Luiz gave the pen away but I thought he was very solid, the whole back 3 were, what a defender Luiz has turned out to be. When we resigned him I thought Conte & the board were on drugs but his defending has massively improved. Has anyone also noticed how players never pressure Luiz in our half like they pressure Cahill & Azpi? Luiz is that comfortable on the ball it's pointless pinning 2 players on him because he never gives the ball away, always makes the right decision, so composed. 

I must admit I was a Luiz doubter, too. The back three probably helps him more than others but he has been very, very good this time around. It's a bit like Lucio. If I recall, he was a bit error prone and Luizesque until he reached his more senior years where he really seemed to become quite a formidable defender. 

13 minutes ago, Liam said:

We've had many memorable European nights but more often than not we've nicked games rather than imposed ourselves. Tonight's performance was the type of performance I've been hoping for in Europe from a Chelsea team for many years.

A truly great performance, but we still nicked it, just for old times sake, same old Chels.

We were absolutely superb. Even when we went behind I wasn't too upset because we had just played so well. If were to lose I thought, so be it, at least we've gone out there and given a performance, there was very little more we could do. I never expected us to come back and win, not in a million years, but we fully deserved it. I don't think I can remember a better Chelsea performance, given the level of opposition and given the circumstances. We didn't just show resilience, we showed real footballing pedigree. We looked a very impressive team. Well done Chelsea.

Hazard superb. Kante and Morata not far behind. Others were very good too, like Victor Moses. The man of the night however is Antonio Conte. What a f**king outstanding manager this guy is.

42 minutes ago, Slojo said:

also Side Show Bob has the eye for a pass as well - there was one play in first half when Side Show found Morata & Morata put a shot on goal - people don't think this guy can't play DM, well I have to disagree - the only place I don't know he can't play is in between the posts - anywhere else on the pitch, Side Show will have a go

What a match. That sort of performance hasn't been seen in a long time especially away from home. Getting a point there would have been great. But snatching a win was something else.  I was reading somewhere they haven't lost at home in the CL in 30 matches. That's how good they are. Simeone essentially tipped his cap to us after the match. That's how good we were.

A couple of thoughts from me:

Kante was massive.  He was everywhere he ran, pressured, created options, overlapped. Bravo.

Also on the midfield we also saw the disadvantage of our lack of midfield depth. Fabregas and Bakayoko were exhausted by the end and with the Bakayoko penalty call we really should have paid the price for that. Drinkwater can't get fit again soon enough. 

Finally Hazard and Morata are one hell of a pair. Their first start together and they were in sync right away. A very special pairing

1 hour ago, Qaz said:

Guessing you're another Aussie as I got up 4:45am to watch the game too.

Stupid me though left 2 minutes into extra time to get to work and missed the 94th minute winner haha.

Courtois - 7, did he job on the few moments he was called upon

Dave - 7.5, did his job well and with minimal fuss

Luiz - 6.5, again like with Arsenal, was our best defender before doing something really stupid. His pass to Morata first half was fantastic. Thus far Christiansen has been very conservative with his passing from the back, so we haven't seen if he has the Luiz quality distribution. But that distribution is a really handy thing to have coming out from the back and something i noticed as opposed to the Stoke game.

Cahill - 7.5, did his job well and with minimal fuss

Alonso - 7.5, good. didn't get hurt defensively too often and was okay going forward. I missed the 94th minute winner which apparently he was key in so added an extra 0.5 to score based on that.

Moses - 7, good defensively but didn't do much going forward. Unfortunately I haven't seen a great deal from Moses so far this season. He's definitely developed his defensive sense, but i'm waiting for him to show a bit more offensively like he did last season. But that said, as long as he continues to do his job defensively and he have other players creating, we'll be fine.

Bakayoko - 7.5, I liked his game. He was solid, kept his shape, kept us in control in midfield for most of the game. But here's the issue, and it's not really his fault. I feel with Hazard dropping deep from a 2nd forward role, it lead to Kante and (to a lessor extent Bakayoko) being more obligated to get forward and into the opposition box as there was no one there in that role. They both did it (Kante more than Bakayoko), but neither really were suited to that role and I think it lead to attacks breaking down throughout the match. We kind of needed a Vidal or a Lampard as opposed to both Kante and Bakayoko. That is, someone who could do the defensive work rate but offered a little more going forward.

Kanté - 8, Broke up the play really well but was a bit wasteful going forward. See above for more details.

Cesc - 7, Next to Kante and Bakayoko it felt like he'd do well with the time and space he'd be afforded. But instead his slowness saw the game bypass him a little and he just didn't get forward enough which meant Kante and Bakayoko had to (of which neither are as suited as he is).

Hazard - 9, Excellent. Brilliant. Absolute stand out. Tactically i'd kind of prefer him starting deeper as opposed to as a 2nd forward, but he came deep when the team had the ball anyway and was excellent.

Motata - 8, Very good game. Looked strong, good in the air.

Sorry I should have said 9.5 Hazard

Defensive formation that bites back hard. Hazard just behind Morata who don't like Atleti was a pleasure to be watching. Got to admire the manager, could easily have been 0-3. Regardless a top notch performance & result. Team was friggin relentless like the manager. 

Antonio Antonio !!

Edited by General