Chelsea Vs Roma (CL) Wed 18 Oct 2017 KO 19:45 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Was a get out of jail goal by Eddie’s header. What can you say, didn’t see Palace match so have no comparisons. No shame on losing to City recently a lot of teams have and may yet do. 

Half full glass a point and top of the group midway.

Half empty glass has all been done to death in the thread. 

Whatever the solution is to all of the myriad of tactical & footballing issues the manager has to sort it quickly & decisively like he did just over a year ago. 

Just finished watching the game. Imo for the vast majority roma were the better side who had more energy and drive than we did.

Conte taking off David luiz was a bad tactical call. He was the only one to get near their midfield baka and cesc were passengers. Morata put in one of the worst performances I have seen from a center forward in recent years (No i did not see Batman against palace).

Good result given they were the better side but to be two up and barley get a draw is really poor. I am concerned for conte. Carlo is in the stands and I sense Roman is starting to sharpen that axe again ...

3 hours ago, carrickblue said:

It's suggested tonight that Luiz and Bakayoko picked up injuries and won't be able to face Watford. Our only fit midfielder is now Cesc.

I bloody hope not. I mean, what do we even do if they are both injured ? Who would we stick in midfield ? It would have to be a youngster because we have nobody else capable of playing that position.

:greysweat:

6 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

No, we don't. We haven't looked like world beaters with Kante in midfield either bar the Atletico game. It doesn't help that Cesc has been sh*t all season. Was shocking today again.

We were never in the 'world beaters' bracket even when we won the Premier League last season, but to say we don't miss a player of Kante's calibre is preposterous.

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Just finished watching the game. Imo for the vast majority roma were the better side who had more energy and drive than we did.

Conte taking off David luiz was a bad tactical call. He was the only one to get near their midfield baka and cesc were passengers. Morata put in one of the worst performances I have seen from a center forward in recent years (No i did not see Batman against palace).

Good result given they were the better side but to be two up and barley get a draw is really poor. I am concerned for conte. Carlo is in the stands and I sense Roman is starting to sharpen that axe again ...

Believe me, Bats against Palace was 100% worse!!

I was shocked last night at how good Roma were (or how good they were made to look). For large parts they played us off the park and even when we were 2-0 up, the scoreline flattered us so was happy to come away with a draw. Our players look worryingly lethargic - second to every ball. Thought Bakayoko was dreadful last night and we all know Fabregas offers little when teams go at us so it was no wonder the defence was exposed and lots of cracks appeared - not helped by Daves recent loss of form.

It is concerning, especially the body language of Conte on the touchline. He still shows the passion but he doesn't cut a happy figure.

Watford Saturday is looking like a MUST win but also needs to be a strong performance to restore some confidence to this squad.

The key of game was the middle, we have lost the middle battle, because it's too poor for keep the ball, Luiz and Bakayoko can't do this. And mostly when the player planned for that, is totally transparent, yes i speak well from Fabregas, big disappointment. It's the key of game, when you win 2-0, you can't let 68,67 percent of the possession of ball to opponent. 

The middle is there for keep the ball and turn it. More he set up, nothing for try to score.

Last night was a very exciting game of football and we are lucky to be able to enjoy these CL games at the Bridge. We were the worse team for most of the game, and they showed a lot of things I didn't expect from an Italian side. In the first place, they played a very energetic football, when we all say here that the Serie A is less physical and they play slower football.... Apparently not! They played as we played in Madrid, a lot of pressing during the 90 minutes and a physical game. We were second best in most of the midfield balls, and if you looked at the players from both sides, they were bigger and stronger than our players. I mean, even Bakayoko looked normal among the Roma players! So no way we were going to dominate the midfield. We need stronger players, that's something to look into for the future. The second thing that stood out for me was the fact that the Roma players dribbled pass ours very often, they showed more technical ability and, as a result they were able to control the game better. So for me the main difference between us and them was that they were stronger to dominate the midfield and had a very good technical ability to shake off our pressing intentions. They wanted it more.

The positive for me was that even being the worse team, we took two points from them, and that is something that champions do, get points no matter how you play. And after their third goal our team showed enough pride to play to get the draw, when it would have been easier to get demoralised and lose the match.

On the negative side, we were completely silenced by the Roma fans. They were louder even when they were 2 down. Plus, there were again quite a few Italians in the stands were Chelsea supporters should be sitting. Why do we need a bigger, new stadium if we are not going to make more noise than the other side fans? Are we going to keep watching how the opponents take seats in the stands that should be occupied by Chelsea supporters in the new stadium? I know these are provocative questions, obviously, but I was a bit envious of the Roma supporters last night, they never stopped singing and supporting their team.

10 hours ago, TomCFC85 said:

It's almost as if they're not playing well and fans that pay exceedingly high prices for season and matchday tickets expect to watch the reigning champions put in a bit more effort. 

I have no problem with people who actually do pay and go to matches being upset and concerned.  I join in the complaining myself, all through the match and in the pub afterwards, with like-minded mates.

My complaint is a forum full of armchair critics, abusing the team, the manager, the board and the tea-lady in some of the foulest, most abusive terms, because they have chosen to "support" Chelsea, and who feel entitlement to a high-scoring victory every match.  These people claim that they know better than the professional manager and coaches every week because they own a Playstation and the latest football game, which qualifies them to be tactical geniuses who would obviously do better than last year's league-winning manager.

Seriously, just read back through ANY match-day thread where we aren't 5-0 up within the first 20 minutes.  Absorb the abuse, the impatience, the player scape-goating, the "I told you so" know-it-all comments about where the manager is wrong, X player is sh*te, the formation isn't one that they would have played (in hindsight, obviously).

I think I said somewhere else in this forum, a lot of our armchair fans have all the patience of a hungry cat at 20 past teatime, and all the actual football knowledge of my arse.

Edited by yorkleyblue

Went to the game and we were rubbish, how we managed to get 3 goals I’ll never know. Alonso was awful, fabregas may aswell have not been on the pitch and Willian is embarrassing himself out there every time he plays, he makes things worse every time he comes on lately, id much rather give Musonda a chance. We also miss Kante badly.

Positives, we managed to get a draw despite playing badly against a good team, Christiansen needs to play every week and Pedro was really good when he came on.

42 minutes ago, RMH said:

Last night was a very exciting game of football and we are lucky to be able to enjoy these CL games at the Bridge. We were the worse team for most of the game, and they showed a lot of things I didn't expect from an Italian side. In the first place, they played a very energetic football, when we all say here that the Serie A is less physical and they play slower football.... Apparently not! They played as we played in Madrid, a lot of pressing during the 90 minutes and a physical game. We were second best in most of the midfield balls, and if you looked at the players from both sides, they were bigger and stronger than our players. I mean, even Bakayoko looked normal among the Roma players! So no way we were going to dominate the midfield. We need stronger players, that's something to look into for the future. The second thing that stood out for me was the fact that the Roma players dribbled pass ours very often, they showed more technical ability and, as a result they were able to control the game better. So for me the main difference between us and them was that they were stronger to dominate the midfield and had a very good technical ability to shake off our pressing intentions. They wanted it more.

The positive for me was that even being the worse team, we took two points from them, and that is something that champions do, get points no matter how you play. And after their third goal our team showed enough pride to play to get the draw, when it would have been easier to get demoralised and lose the match.

On the negative side, we were completely silenced by the Roma fans. They were louder even when they were 2 down. Plus, there were again quite a few Italians in the stands were Chelsea supporters should be sitting. Why do we need a bigger, new stadium if we are not going to make more noise than the other side fans? Are we going to keep watching how the opponents take seats in the stands that should be occupied by Chelsea supporters in the new stadium? I know these are provocative questions, obviously, but I was a bit envious of the Roma supporters last night, they never stopped singing and supporting their team.

That was what shocked me most last night. I lost count of the times that their players were going past Bakayoko, Fabregas, Luiz, Azpi and Zappercosta as if they just weren't there. It was all to easy for them and must be a major concern to Conte. I'm hoping our guys had an off-night as Bakayoko in particular looked second best to Nainggolan every time. Just shows how much we rely on Kante.

2 minutes ago, Nibs said:

That was what shocked me most last night. I lost count of the times that their players were going past Bakayoko, Fabregas, Luiz, Azpi and Zappercosta as if they just weren't there. It was all to easy for them and must be a major concern to Conte. I'm hoping our guys had an off-night as Bakayoko in particular looked second best to Nainggolan every time. Just shows how much we rely on Kante.

The last three games Bakayoko and Fabregas have been bloody terrible.

In a way i'm glad Kante has had time out, it's blown open our problem in midfield for all to see.

Their mobility is limited, neither can get up and down the pitch for a full 90 minutes, and both are near bloody useless when you haven't got the ball.

City have got KDB and Silva totally bossing games in their 3 midfield. Bakayoko and Cesc couldn't boss a girls scout team.

13 hours ago, Pendergast said:

Really? Azpi needs rest? What about Alonso? Dave is not tired or slow, his ego has just grown up undese?vedly high, because of the vice captain badge, and he is trying to tell anybody what and how to do, like he is the damn master Yoda. I wouldnt have any problem if he was just tired...

Wow, that is extremely harsh imo. Dave seems like one of the most modest guys I've seen play football, maybe he is struggling with the added responsibility and thinks that he has to be more proactive which could be affecting his game. But to suggest he is being a pre-madonna is crazy. The guy has had about 4 bad games in 4 years and is still our most consistent player the last 5 years. 

1 hour ago, RMH said:

Away fans better than home fans, shocker.

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

Apparently Luiz and Bakayoko were injured in the first half and only played on because we had no midfielders available on the bench.

Cesc was the only fit midfielder out there but he moves around like he's injured even when he's fully fit.

2 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

I have no problem with people who actually do pay and go to matches being upset and concerned.  I join in the complaining myself, all through the match and in the pub afterwards, with like-minded mates.

My complaint is a forum full of armchair critics, abusing the team, the manager, the board and the tea-lady in some of the foulest, most abusive terms, because they have chosen to "support" Chelsea, and who feel entitlement to a high-scoring victory every match.  These people claim that they know better than the professional manager and coaches every week because they own a Playstation and the latest football game, which qualifies them to be tactical geniuses who would obviously do better than last year's league-winning manager.

Seriously, just read back through ANY match-day thread where we aren't 5-0 up within the first 20 minutes.  Absorb the abuse, the impatience, the player scape-goating, the "I told you so" know-it-all comments about where the manager is wrong, X player is sh*te, the formation isn't one that they would have played (in hindsight, obviously).

I think I said somewhere else in this forum, a lot of our armchair fans have all the patience of a hungry cat at 20 past teatime, and all the actual football knowledge of my arse.

Those exact same comments get made in the stands during the game, why is it suddenly shocking just because someone that can't get to a game says it online? You old bunch on your moral high horse about attending games are worse than the foreign fans that chuck abuse about. Change the record. 

9 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Those exact same comments get made in the stands during the game, why is it suddenly shocking just because someone that can't get to a game says it online? You old bunch on your moral high horse about attending games are worse than the foreign fans that chuck abuse about. Change the record. 

That was not what Yorkley said.

1 hour ago, mullincfc said:

Wow, that is extremely harsh imo. Dave seems like one of the most modest guys I've seen play football, maybe he is struggling with the added responsibility and thinks that he has to be more proactive which could be affecting his game. But to suggest he is being a pre-madonna is crazy. The guy has had about 4 bad games in 4 years and is still our most consistent player the last 5 years. 

What do you mean by bad games? I personally was very clear - all I said was - sloppy. Not bad, not tired, not slow... sloppy. And these 4 games, every single one of them, is after the moment he got the badge. Not defending well, no effort to recover,  so many wrong passes in a dangerous zone. We just turned our best soldier into a general and he really sucks at it. Its nothing against Azpi, its against Conte's decision. 

Fun match to watch, result could have been anything. Although we were 2:0, they just need to take one of their many chances to get back into the game, and they did. I have never seen our defence get so ripped up, even Azpi was like a part-time defender out there. 2 good strikers by Roma, but all 3 goals could have been avoided, the defence for the third goal was just ridiculous. I'm surprised Rudiger didn't start, after all he'd have a lot to prove against his former team, and with inside knowledge about their attacking players. Positve is the Hazard/Morata comb is going well, on another day Morata would have taken the early chance and put the game beyond their reach. We are a different team with Morata leading the line.

Not a bad result, if we get 4 out of the next 2 games, we should qualify, 6 we'd pretty much lock down that top spot. With a bit of luck, we should have won. We are in a difficult period, not playing well and the opposition aren't giving anything away.

34 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Your reading and comprehension skills are really quite poor, for someone who claims to be at university.  Firstly, my point was that yes, the supporters in the stands can be as critical, if not more, and they have every right to criticise if the team are not trying in their eyes.

I was replying to someone who said "fans that pay exceedingly high prices for season and matchday tickets expect to watch the reigning champions put in a bit more effort. "  My first point was that yes, people who pay have a right to complain, and I do, regularly, at matches.  People who's only link to the club is that they have chosen Chelsea as the team they want to follow by watching on a stream in their bedrooms and bitching excessively and viciously on an internet forum have no rights to have any criticism they make taken seriously.

I think you'll find that people who actually go to games, regardless of how many a season they can get to, are far less critical in forums, no matter how critical they are when at matches.  Perhaps it's the keyboard warrior syndrome, or perhaps having a playstation and a sky sports subscription truly DOES make you a football tactical genius.

We got away with it last night. Problem is we don't have a functioning midfield. With Kante and Drinkwater out we were forced to play an unfit Bakayoko as holding midfielder with Luiz filling in ahead wih Fabregas. Not the best scenario. 

Let's face it, it was a patch-up job by Conte and we did well to score three and get away with a draw.

You can put it down to bad luck that we should lose key players to injury but really the Board's assumption that 3 midfielders were enough for the season has been proved a disaster.

The obsession with breaking even has undone us and this season looks like a missed opportunity. Pity.

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Your reading and comprehension skills are really quite poor, for someone who claims to be at university.  Firstly, my point was that yes, the supporters in the stands can be as critical, if not more, and they have every right to criticise if the team are not trying in their eyes.

I was replying to someone who said "fans that pay exceedingly high prices for season and matchday tickets expect to watch the reigning champions put in a bit more effort. "  My first point was that yes, people who pay have a right to complain, and I do, regularly, at matches.  People who's only link to the club is that they have chosen Chelsea as the team they want to follow by watching on a stream in their bedrooms and bitching excessively and viciously on an internet forum have no rights to have any criticism they make taken seriously.

I think you'll find that people who actually go to games, regardless of how many a season they can get to, are far less critical in forums, no matter how critical they are when at matches.  Perhaps it's the keyboard warrior syndrome, or perhaps having a playstation and a sky sports subscription truly DOES make you a football tactical genius.

I dont think it matters if you buy season tickets or if you stream matches from your basement. What matters is the emotional connection you have to the football club. If you invest all that emotional support then of course you will be heated and probably bitchy at the result especially if you feel the players arent giving their all. I am a New york Giants fan, have never been to the Met life Stadium and only watch my team on TV but i know the pain when we lose stupid games and the extacy from both Superbowl wins. Just because some fans are foreigners and dont live in the Uk doesnt give them less of a right to criticise their team