Your thoughts on the fickleness of football fans/media?

enigma
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Right, so after the result at the weekend it's been nothing but negativity and criticism. One thing I dislike about football is the fickleness. We don't perform well for a couple games, then lose or draw and all of a sudden the players are sh*t, the manager got it wrong, we are in crisis etc. We are currently sitting in 5th place in the league with another 30 games to go. We have had key players out with injuries and/or suspensions. As well as this, international duties have been a hindrance. I understand these are all excuses, but some are legit excuses. It's just frustating that one week we're all positive and best thing since sliced bread to being sh*t after a loss etc.

I myself am not immune to being fickle too, but I've been trying to teach myself not to be so as nobody knows what will happen one week to the next in this game. If we go out and get wins in the next 3/4 games, it's almost guaranteed people will be singing our praises again and rival fans and media will be placing us as contenders again. I just wanted to get your views on fickle opinions in football these days, it just gets tiresome. everybody sings utds praises for e.g, but fail to mention how they looked almost toothless vs liverpool considering they're supposed to be one of the favourites (along with city) for the title; instead it was a great point for utd. 

Just to add, real madrid are the best team in europe but even they have looked mediocre this season and needed ronaldo or asensio to pull them out the sh*t. if even the best team can have off performances, then anybody can. 

Edited by enigma

I agree, its frustrating reading all the negativity after a defeat, but only three weeks ago, we had one of the best performances in recent years and we couldnt put a foot wrong.... how two weeks in Football can change opinions!

The media and especially the sh*t rags like the star and the sun are all doom and gloom, especially around Chelsea. Two defeats, we are out of the title race and Conte is packing his finest Italian leather holdall and is heading to AC Milan!

The negativity on here does my head in too, i hate seeing us lose... especially against a joke club like Palace, but unfortunately thats football and why the Prem is the best in the world! I agree, we were s***e on saturday but win, lose or draw, lets get behind the team and give those players in bad form, the chance to snap out of it and prove their worth again.

12 minutes ago, Jon9344 said:

The negativity on here does my head in too, i hate seeing us lose... especially against a joke club like Palace, but unfortunately thats football and why the Prem is the best in the world! I agree, we were s***e on saturday but win, lose or draw, lets get behind the team and give those players in bad form, the chance to snap out of it and prove their worth again.

^This.  I think you all know my views on the fickleness of fans, particularly our armchair fans, which, to be fair, I am a lot of the time, so I won't say anything more than "What I said many times before".

18 minutes ago, Jon9344 said:

I agree, its frustrating reading all the negativity after a defeat, but only three weeks ago, we had one of the best performances in recent years and we couldnt put a foot wrong.... how two weeks in Football can change opinions!

The media and especially the sh*t rags like the star and the sun are all doom and gloom, especially around Chelsea. Two defeats, we are out of the title race and Conte is packing his finest Italian leather holdall and is heading to AC Milan!

he may be off to italy, but seeing as ac milan are 10th and looking awful, it will be a big ask. even juventus (who are arguably better than us) are lying in 4th place in serie a. people say the prem is the most competitive league, so we're sitting 5th after a string of tough fixtures and all of a sudden we will struggle for 4th place lol. there are 30 games left in the prem with added fixtures and too many twist and turns yet, so writing us off is premature. the pressure is off us to win the league this season after winning it last season, but i would be happy to challenge for 2nd/3rd place and good showing in the cl and fa cup. not much to ask for, but too soon for people to predict what will happen next week, let alone by at least xmas. 

Edited by enigma

The best thing to do is just stay away from this website and Twitter etc. The way i look at it is we are not going to win every game and every cup its just not realistic its not going to happen. if we were playing the scottish league then yes (that would be very boring) but were not, our league is too competitive and demanding for that to happen. I just try and be realistic, was i expecting us to win the league and finish above City and Utd? No. I would have taken 3rd place before the season and thats where i'l think we will finish. 

We dont' spend enough money for me to be demanding we win the league, just look at our squad compared to Man City's the gap is pretty big. Some of our transfer business in the last few seasons haven't been great either. We shouldn't be panic buying an average right back from Italy for £20 odd million on the last day of the deadline.

Edited by jack_super_class

What does my head in is fans that can't stand any sort of criticism and take it as "not getting behind the team". Even when we were winning, we weren't perfect. Going into the season, we weren't in the best shape either and we certainly didn't have the best squad we could have had. So a lot of the complaints over the weekend haven't just been purely a result of the Palace defeat. It's been a culmunation of different issues.

At the end of the day, by the next match after a defeat, fans will get behind the team once again. There's a sweet spot between giving criticism and praising the team that we all need to find. I, myself, tend to be on the criticism side more often than a few others but it has to be said that there are fans never see anything wrong with the team even when we're absolute sh*te (like 15/16) and will almost have your head on a spike for daring to point out flaws. That f**king irritates me, to be fair.

Despite the myriad of issues I think that contributed to the Palace loss, we still had a more than good enough team to absolutely take Palace to the cleaners. Especially, you know, since they hadn't scored a goal all season and have been the worst of the worst in the league. So it's fair to say it was also a mixture of having an off day and just pure complacency from the players. Apparently, Conte was fuming at them, so that's good to know. Can't roll out of bed and expect to sleep walk to a win in this league. Silly attitude from them on Saturday.

As for the media....well we've never been their favourites at any point in time at all, have we? Even when we won the CL and they should have been happy an English team won it, the narrative was "they didn't deserve it". We won the Europa League the following season and they pretty much turned their stupid noses up at us. Fast forward to last season and United win the same Europa League and they go into full United w**kfest overdrive for days. They love United, they love Liverpool and they love Spurs. That won't change. They used to love Arsenal but not anymore. They certainly love to see Chelsea fail (they love seeing City fail too) so I'm not sure why you're surprised. Nothing new there.

I dont think it is fickleness. When you are passionate about a team and the team loses a game they should not lose then you are filled with rage and frustration and you just want to let it out and "release" the negativity. That may seem like fickleness but it is not. It is just the frustration showing. Now if the fans are asking for Conte to be sacked then that is being fickle.

But what about Arsenal fans asking for Wenger to be sacked ? Are they fickle? Any biters ? 

No, because they've followed that pattern for years now.

7 hours ago, Barrettinator said:

What does my head in is fans that can't stand any sort of criticism and take it as "not getting behind the team".

To be fair, some peoples criticisms are 'GET THIS USELESS WASTE OF SPACE OUT OF MY CLUB". There is criticism, and there is criticism. 

Funnily enough Hazard escaped a lot of it. He must be best buds with Willian right now.

There is a reason the match day threads have their rep. The moaning starts with the release of the team sheet.

8 minutes ago, Stim said:

No, because they've followed that pattern for years now.

To be fair, some peoples criticisms are 'GET THIS USELESS WASTE OF SPACE OUT OF MY CLUB". There is criticism, and there is criticism. 

Funnily enough Hazard escaped a lot of it. He must be best buds with Willian right now.

There is a reason the match day threads have their rep. The moaning starts with the release of the team sheet.

Hazard? Let's not forget that the fans that visit this forum are a very very tiny minority of Chelsea fans. 

Have you forgotten this banner from 15/16?

ChelseaRats.jpg

Hazard isn't immune to criticism. But yes, I agree that we need to take the vileness out of it and focus on the football itself.

To be completely honest, I very rarely contribute to fans forums any more, and only visit for a bit of schadenfreude. I learned a long time ago not to take football so personally. If your mood is affected by by something you have absolutely no control over then you need to remove yourself from that thing emotionally. 

Football fans in general make me laugh so much now, just visiting other teams forums is sometimes hysterical! Nearly all fans on all forums believe that their fans are the classiest and all other teams fans are, "racist", "classless", "pickeys", "chaves", "rentboys"........ so on and so forth. The truth be told, all teams fans have the same elements, all football fans are just as diverse as their fellow fans from other teams. No team has better fans than any other team.

As for the media, when it comes to sport, they only cater for what's going to pull in the views/readers. Hence the supposedly Manchester/Liverpool bias. They simply have far more support than us, so it's only natural that the media is going to direct more positivity towards those clubs as that is where they are going to make most of their money. However, the belief that they don't get any negative press is bull, as they get pulled apart by the press when they deserve it just like every other team does. Does media bias bother me? Simply no! Why would it bother me that someone else has a different opinion to me! All that matters is what I get out of supporting my team. 

At the moment, the media have us in a crisis, which is just the media over blowing the truth, as it usually does. However it is true that we are not the best team in the league after 8 games and it is looking less likely than last year that we will win the league this year. It is also true that the teams that are going to do well in the Champions League are those who have spent mega bucks during the summer (City/PSG). That's not to say that we or any other team won't win it, just that them two teams have raised the bar somewhat, which has made it far more difficult for the rest of us. 

1 hour ago, Valerie said:

Your post reads like you've given up as well :smile:

i must admit i feel like i have, the palace loss was just wrong and worrying, chelsea are struggling far to early in the season, a couple of injuries and suspensions, seem to have derailed them, players looking tired and jaded. I hope i am proved totally wrong but i think it does not bode well

It seems that the football media has gone to hype and sensationalism. For example, not every Sunday is 'Super Sunday ' on Sky . I decided to watch Leicester v West Brom on Monday night, but decided to watch the La Liga game on another Sky Sports channel. To be honest it was a better game.

It is about expectations. I now have high expectations for the club. Hasn't always been that way though. I have been a fan for 40 plus years now, scary that.

For the first 33 years of being a Chelsea fan,we had not won a major trophy. Then we win the FA Cup in 1997 and amazingly go and win the League Cup, Cup Winners Cup and the Super Cup within the next 15 months.

Suddenly my expectations went through the roof!

13 minutes ago, erskblue said:

It seems that the football media has gone to hype and sensationalism. For example, not every Sunday is 'Super Sunday ' on Sky . I decided to watch Leicester v West Brom on Monday night, but decided to watch the La Liga game on another Sky Sports channel. To be honest it was a better game.

The media as a whole, and other parts of the football industry, are trying to squeeze as much out of football as possible, to the point now where we're getting a football overload. Youth football on the Tele, womens football on the Tele, more teams in the Euros, more teams in the World cup, pre-season games being played all over the world, (which is even more annoying now games are no longer on Chelsea TV). Money makes the world go around, but it is also ruining football. 

16 minutes ago, xXRuufioXx said:

The media as a whole, and other parts of the football industry, are trying to squeeze as much out of football as possible, to the point now where we're getting a football overload. Youth football on the Tele, womens football on the Tele, more teams in the Euros, more teams in the World cup, pre-season games being played all over the world, (which is even more annoying now games are no longer on Chelsea TV). Money makes the world go around, but it is also ruining football. 

Good points. Not every Premiership game can be a classic. The Liverpool v Man United game was hyped up by Sky for a fair part of last week in the build up. From what I saw,it was a very poor game.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

It is about expectations. I now have high expectations for the club. Hasn't always been that way though. I have been a fan for 40 plus years now, scary that.

For the first 33 years of being a Chelsea fan,we had not won a major trophy. Then we win the FA Cup in 1997 and amazingly go and win the League Cup, Cup Winners Cup and the Super Cup within the next 15 months.

To be brutaly frank,you (nor I) have any right to have any expectations.  We pay our entrance fee (or not) and the only expectation we are entitled to is for a team doing their best.  That's it.  Nothing else.  That's one of the many problems in this and many other forums (yes, I know it's fora!).  Too many people, with too little knowledge, feeling entitled to too much, all of the time.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

And in some ways those first 33 years were as good, Nothing will ever beat the 97 cup final at Wembley, only Munich and full members cup final will compare in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, xXRuufioXx said:

Good points, football is being ruined by money and football overload, sky for instance built the game up again to an extent during the 90's with the help of Italia 90 and euro 96, but sky now just can't help squeezing more, less is sometimes best with TV games

17 minutes ago, chi blue said:

And in some ways those first 33 years were as good, Nothing will ever beat the 97 cup final at Wembley, only Munich and full members cup final will compare in my opinion. 

Good points. Getting promotion in 1983/84 to Division 1 after being close to being relegation the previous season was amazing.

46 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

To be brutaly frank,you (nor I) have any right to have any expectations.  We pay our entrance fee (or not) and the only expectation we are entitled to is for a team doing their best.  That's it.  Nothing else.  That's one of the many problems in this and many other forums (yes, I know it's fora!).  Too many people, with too little knowledge, feeling entitled to too much, all of the time.

So that's the difference then. You expect absolutely nothing except for "effort" while the rest of us expect a lot more. Fair enough. But don't have a go at fans that have different expectations just because your view is different. No one's forcing you to think that way. No one's forcing us to match our expectations to the club's ambitions either but we aren't having a go at you for not thinking the way we do. How about you stay comfortable in your lane and we stay in ours and we can all get along.

18 hours ago, brownindian said:

I dont think it is fickleness. When you are passionate about a team and the team loses a game they should not lose then you are filled with rage and frustration and you just want to let it out and "release" the negativity. That may seem like fickleness but it is not. It is just the frustration showing. Now if the fans are asking for Conte to be sacked then that is being fickle.

But what about Arsenal fans asking for Wenger to be sacked ? Are they fickle? Any biters ? 

who says we shouldn't lose a game? i think every fan thinks their club SHOULDN'T lose a game, but it happens in all sports. very few teams/sportsman in sports win week in, week out. there are no guarantees in any sport.