Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sign in to follow this  
IliyaKrostin

January Window 17/18

So, this season isn't really going to Conte's plans. I think if we're aiming to be a top-class team, then we have to upgrade our squad, some of our players don't perform well and I'm sure Conte will be looking for replacements that could lead us in the league and Champions League as well. Conte wanted to sign more players in the summer but didn't get permission for that, I'm sure we're going to chase few targets in January. We still have three months, maybe we will see kind of improvement in our form, but I believe that we should sign at least 2 new players. 

I'd say we have to go after Thomas Lemar, could be a great improvement to Willian and Pedro, I think both of them don't stand on the expectations like they did last season. There is still a time for them to improve, but I'd happily have Lemar here as their replacement. 

Also thinking about recalling Loftus-Cheek back.

Edited by IliyaKrostin
old git likes this

Lemar and Sandro are pipe dreams and would be cup tied in the CL anyway.

Milinkovic Savic at Lazio is an absolute monster in midfield.

I'd also consider Seri at Nice.

We need depth and quality desperately.

Not sure who the striker would be.

If we want a physical prescence and a show of backing the manager (properly), why not Belotti?

4 hours ago, BordeauxBlue said:

Lemar and Sandro are pipe dreams and would be cup tied in the CL anyway.

Milinkovic Savic at Lazio is an absolute monster in midfield.

I'd also consider Seri at Nice.

We need depth and quality desperately.

Not sure who the striker would be.

If we want a physical prescence and a show of backing the manager (properly), why not Belotti?

Personally I think our summer and lack of extension for conte shows we are not that in favour is supporting him.

Problem is, the level of quality we need is not usually available in January.

We need a top class lwb and attacker (Sanchez?) to take this squad to the next level.

But I don’t think we’ll get it and with hazard and courtois clealy stalling on new deals - the squad could soon look very mediocre indeed.

6 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Personally I think our summer and lack of extension for conte shows we are not that in favour is supporting him.

I was under the impression he was offered an extension and turned it down no?

i can't see that many coming in the January window.  It would be nice to bolster the squad, but has been said, the main targets we would want (especially as fans) are going to be cup tied.

If we are still in teh Top 4 andmake it into 2018 in the CL, then I think Conte will still be here.  So I hope the board back him.

I think we need new fullbacks, and a midfielder.  I'm not sure about a striker, but certainly an attacking player.  If we were to go for anattacking player I could see us potentially selling Willian to make space, and at the very least selling Musounda. 

Realistically there is no one out there available right now that will improve the side, January has always been notoriously hard to do business in. Can see Sanchez leaving Arse because his contract runs out soon and they'll want to cash in but he seems set on a move to citeh.

Honestly, I'd have a root around Arsenal, players like Sanchez and Ozil seem to be out the door and the gunners will want to make money off them.
While Sanchez seems set on City, I'd happily take Ozil, always been a fan of his and I don't understand the hate he gets, he's lazy at times but a manager like Conte or (Hiddink by then...) could probably get more out of him, more that Wenger ever could. 

17 hours ago, enigma said:

we need technical players. we have players who aren't comfortable on the ball when pressed.

That's because they're slow and can't move the ball from out of their feet quick enough. We badly need players with pace and acceleration to get away from the opposition. Too many tortoises in the team right now.

10 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Zaha from Palace anybody?

Would absolutely take Zaha for a reasonable price. Pace, strength and direct running, if he worked on his finishing he'd thrive here.

that was poor positioning and awareness from alonso. he just doesn't have the speed to deal with pacey attackers unfortunately. he was fantastic last season, but this season he is lacking for whatever reason. maybe it's the first season performance high when a player comes in, plays fantastic but then tapers off second season. it happens. but yeah, the distance that was covered by el sharawwy to get that shot in shouldn't have been allowed.  

Edited by enigma

It's usually tough to make big signings in January and considering the uncertainty regarding Conte's future, I highly doubt we'll make many (if any) big signings. Personally, I'd love to see us go for either Draxler or Di Maria from PSG, who seem willing to let one or both of them go for a reasonable price. I would personally prefer Di Maria in spite of his failed stint in the Premier League a few years ago. He's a very talented and versatile footballer who works hard off the ball (when he's in the mood) and that is certainly something Conte likes. 

I also think we should sign a left back (if Baba isn't given a proper chance) and I absolutely love Ghoulam from Napoli. His contract is expiring too, which means that he could be available on the cheap. Telles and Bertrand are also good options and clearly there are good options out there so I sincerely hope that we don't waste another transfer window chasing Sandro...

Also saw a rumour linking us with Giroud of all players. I would actually take him as a different option (highly unlikely but you never know).