Vidahost - UK Web Hosting
Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sign in to follow this  
TomCFC85

Luke Shaw

I can see the allure but I'd be against it. At the moment, he has a lot of baggage ie poor fitness, mentally destroyed, injury issues still haunting him. 

If we sign him, there's a lot of work that needs to be done. I can understand the long term value but surely there's some other LB/LWB out there that's ready to slot in and give Alonso a run for his money.

If we did sign him then all the best because I really think he could be one hell of a fullback when fit and firing

Edited by Deino

4 hours ago, Zeta said:

£12m, no more. Utd owe us big time after giving them Mata and Matic.

I still don't think Jose will sell to us but 20m is way too much. 12 sounds much better. I'd even be tempted to wait for his contract to expire and bet on him joining for free because he's a fan. 

20mil for a HG player is nothing these days. While I agree that he is injury prone and has not even played much, but given that he is just 22, and our medical staff, definitely worth a try. 

Cesc is 30 and GC 31 and we dont know how long these 2 will prevail under conte, will they even accept the squad player roles. Need a couple of HG players.

Time is a funny thing, 2 or 3 years ago this entire forum was all about Shaw, you even whispered the name Bertrand you would chastised as an idiot for daring to mention the two in the same bracket.

Any way, as someone who was very much against this two years ago, I'm not very much for it. Some times things just don't work out, the united move lookes like it was ill fated from the start. But we need a left sided wing back, Alonso has dipped of and I would say that is large due to sheer game volume. Shaw can off something different. for 15 mill i'd take a punt, we spent 40 mill on a back up center mid. If you can get the boy back to his southampton form you'd have a pretty decent player on you're hands. 

didierforever likes this

3 minutes ago, barak81 said:

Time is a funny thing, 2 or 3 years ago this entire forum was all about Shaw, you even whispered the name Bertrand you would chastised as an idiot for daring to mention the two in the same bracket.

Any way, as someone who was very much against this two years ago, I'm not very much for it. Some times things just don't work out, the united move lookes like it was ill fated from the start. But we need a left sided wing back, Alonso has dipped of and I would say that is large due to sheer game volume. Shaw can off something different. for 15 mill i'd take a punt, we spent 40 mill on a back up center mid. If you can get the boy back to his southampton form you'd have a pretty decent player on you're hands. 

Perfectly put. 

5 hours ago, didierforever said:

Cesc is 30 and GC 31 and we dont know how long these 2 will prevail under conte, will they even accept the squad player roles. Need a couple of HG players.

We have that covered with Christensen and RLC, no?

He was a great talent and looked set to become one of the best LB's in the game before he picked up his broken leg. He's been constantly injured in recent times though and seem's to have more weight to him compared to his Southampton days.

I wouldn't say no to signing him, but only on the cheap because he has so much to prove to get back to the kind of player we were seeing just before his injury.

old git likes this

I would take Shaw for decent price, ~£15m, but I would loan him out. He needs to play consistently to get back to a level to compete with alonso. 

If he comes in as a back up for alonso, he won't get the game time he needs to get his confidence back up. I'm actually very surprised United didn't loan him out. 

It could be a disaster, or he could end up being at the least a quality homegrown back up. 

11 minutes ago, Zeta said:

Don't see the point in signing him just to loan him out, we need LB cover now, not in a years time. Unless we use Baba from Jan - Summer, but then what if he does well and we've signed Shaw as well, then we've got 3 LBs for 2 positions.

Agreed and if that happens, we'll have 2 average fullbacks and 1 decent fullback.

With Shaw, I'm a bit on the fence but I'm leaning to not signing him because his good form came when he was 18. Since then, he hasn't progressed at all and the leg break stagnanted him massively. Mourinho keeps throwing him under the bus hasn't helped and concerns by pretty much every manager about him turning up overweight is not encouraging.

He probably needs to reinvent himself at a club away from the spotlight to build up confidence again like Zouma did.

2 hours ago, Zeta said:

Don't see the point in signing him just to loan him out, we need LB cover now, not in a years time. Unless we use Baba from Jan - Summer, but then what if he does well and we've signed Shaw as well, then we've got 3 LBs for 2 positions.

He isn't good enough now though. He will maybe good enough down the line. He is still only 22. I don't think we need to bring in cover at left back. I'm all for trying to upgrade alonso's place, but I wouldn't be looking to spend money on another left wing back to warm the bench. We have options there with Azpiliucueta, kenedy, or even moses and pedro at a pinch. Baba is in a similar position to Shaw, he needs to go out on loan and play regularly. 

Whether Shaw would even want to go out on loan is questionable though, but he's 4th or 5th choice at Utd for a reason. 

1 hour ago, Deino said:

Agreed and if that happens, we'll have 2 average fullbacks and 1 decent fullback.

With Shaw, I'm a bit on the fence but I'm leaning to not signing him because his good form came when he was 18. Since then, he hasn't progressed at all and the leg break stagnanted him massively. Mourinho keeps throwing him under the bus hasn't helped and concerns by pretty much every manager about him turning up overweight is not encouraging.

He probably needs to reinvent himself at a club away from the spotlight to build up confidence again like Zouma did.

That last paragraph is exactly why it would be a good reason to loan him out. Buy him while his stock is low,  loan him out and see if he can start looking like a top player again. 

Depending on the price, it could even be worth it just to sell him on, since there is such a premium on English players.

9 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Why not, they got Matic off us and we will return the favour with Shaw. Jose never backed him, while we desperately need covers, make sense.

The difference is we're a classy club whilst Mou is bitter and childish. He'd rather lose him on a free a few years down the line than give him to us.