Five Chelsea games you would love to have attended.

erskblue
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

The Moscow Dynamo game from November 1945 is an iconic one in our history.

Somebody stated this was a Chelsea game that they would love to have been at.

I'll narrow it down for myself as the games I would have loved to have been at since supporting the Blues on 1974/75. And I have decided not to choose obvious big games!

1. V Nottingham Forest at the Bridge in Nov 77. We won 1-0. One of only three defeats Forest had in 1977/78 as they won the Division 1 title.

2. Bolton away in spring of 1983. Clive Walker scored. We won 1-0 and stayed in Division 2 !

3. 5-0 v Derby at the Bridge in Aug 1983. The start of something special.

4. 5-0 v Leeds April 1984. Great win. Nearly back.

4. 1-1 v Arsenal in Aug 1984. That King Kerry goal. We were back!.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

I'll narrow it down for myself as the games I would have loved to have been at since supporting the Blues on 1974/75. And I have decided not to choose obvious big games!

1. V Nottingham Forest at the Bridge in Nov 77. We won 1-0. One of only three defeats Forest had in 1977/78 as they won the Division 1 title.

2. Bolton away in spring of 1983. Clive Walker scored. We won 1-0 and stayed in Division 2 !

Your number 1 game was my first season aged 9, but I didn’t start going until January. The other 4 I went to and they gave me great pleasure in different ways with joy of something new, staying up, going up and playing in the top division.

My choice would be 

1. Spurs away Aug 78 2-2 Great away support as usual, just after Argentina 78 World Cup. The start of the foreign fotball player in England.

2. Orient away Nov 1980 won 7-3 was watching grandstand on BBC1 kept giving updates like on soccer Saturday!! Unbelievable Jeff!!

3. QPR away Boxing Day 1981 won 2-0 game before the away ban. Had my grey t-shirt “you can’t ban a Chelsea Fan!!”

4.Sheff Wed away Jan 1985 4-4 league cup tie. Can’t believe I didn’t go!! so many games that season. Went to the first game two days before 1-1 went to the second replay won 2-1 the last two games are on YouTube.

5. Bolton away May 2005 won 2-0 to win first premier league title. Didn’t get a ticket but watched with a friend who had a huge projector screen tv. 

Must be people on here that went to these games to make me jealous!

4 hours ago, erskblue said:

Would make my top 5 games I've ever been to. An incredible occasion that spawned some iconic images of fans on the pitch.

30 minutes ago, Richard P said:

Your number 1 game was my first season aged 9, but I didn’t start going until January. The other 4 I went to and they gave me great pleasure in different ways with joy of something new, staying up, going up and playing in the top division.

My choice would be 

1. Spurs away Aug 78 2-2 Great away support as usual, just after Argentina 78 World Cup. The start of the foreign fotball player in England.

2. Orient away Nov 1980 won 7-3 was watching grandstand on BBC1 kept giving updates like on soccer Saturday!! Unbelievable Jeff!!

3. QPR away Boxing Day 1981 won 2-0 game before the away ban. Had my grey t-shirt “you can’t ban a Chelsea Fan!!”

4.Sheff Wed away Jan 1985 4-4 league cup tie. Can’t believe I didn’t go!! so many games that season. Went to the first game two days before 1-1 went to the second replay won 2-1 the last two games are on YouTube.

5. Bolton away May 2005 won 2-0 to win first premier league title. Didn’t get a ticket but watched with a friend who had a huge projector screen tv. 

My first ever trip to the Lane. Great game. Lots of trouble.

I'll go for:

1. Chelsea 4 Bruges 0. ECWC 1970-1 season. Most people who were there said it was the best atmosphere they've experienced at the Bridge.

2. Chelsea 4 Liverpool 2 1978 FA Cup. The Clive Walker game. Just epic.

3. 1984 Grimsby away. An amazing day out to end an unforgettable season.

4. Arsenal 1 Chelsea 2. CL 2004. Spine-tingling.

5. Liverpool 0 Chelsea 2. Slippy G, Demba Ba.

21 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

I'll go for:

1. Chelsea 4 Bruges 0. ECWC 1970-1 season. Most people who were there said it was the best atmosphere they've experienced at the Bridge.

2. Chelsea 4 Liverpool 2 1978 FA Cup. The Clive Walker game. Just epic.

3. 1984 Grimsby away. An amazing day out to end an unforgettable season.

4. Arsenal 1 Chelsea 2. CL 2004. Spine-tingling.

5. Liverpool 0 Chelsea 2. Slippy G, Demba Ba.

Just checking these are games you didn’t go to?

7 hours ago, erskblue said:

I was at all of those except Bolton away. The 5-0 against Leeds my mate managed to get Joey Jones's shorts he had them for years.

3 hours ago, Richard P said:

My choice would be 

Went to the Orient and QPR games and the Sheffield Wed replay. Went to the midweek Orient games the following years think you've got the year wrong the 7-3 was 79. We beat QPR in 82 as well another early kick off we took over the ground as usual.

Interesting question!

1- Bobby Charlton's farewell. Last game of the season 73 I think.

2- The official record attendance game of 82,905 against Arsenal in the 30's. Sitting in the Archibald Leith East Stand rather than packed in like a sardine on the terraces.

3- Southampton at the Dell FA Cup 3rd Round Jan 81. As a result of misbehaviour I was grounded by me old man. He dropped me brother and his mates off at Wimbledon Station- I was in the car with them pleading the old fella to let me join them. No dice

4- Millwall home 77 watching the action in the Shed, birds eye view from the West Stand seats right next to the terrace join up

5- Athens replay 71

Edited by Ewell CFC

14 hours ago, bluehaze said:

Went to the Orient and QPR games and the Sheffield Wed replay. Went to the midweek Orient games the following years think you've got the year wrong the 7-3 was 79. We beat QPR in 82 as well another early kick off we took over the ground as usual.

Yes meant Dec 79! Went to the other rangers away games as you say we took the place over. One of the few grounds I’ve seen chelsea from all four sides of the ground! Went to the other orient aways. 

I love this forum , brings back so many memories that have been locked away for years , 1981 boxing day 2-0 QPR plastic pitch , was at my Nans that christmas in Earlsfield and went with my uncle , was in the south Africa road stand seats near the Chelsea end , can`t remember jack s--t about the game but do remember thousands of Chelsea in green flying jackets many with them blue and white stripped woollen gloves going mental ,  I`ve went to QPR about 5 or 6 times in the 80s and  90s and never been in the Chelsea end , never had to it was always a home game , along with Palace and Fulham , we were away but fan wise it was a home game.

I`m yet to pick my 5 , do you have to be born or can it be anytime in our history ?

4 hours ago, Richard P said:

Yes meant Dec 79! Went to the other rangers away games as you say we took the place over. One of the few grounds I’ve seen chelsea from all four sides of the ground! Went to the other orient aways. 

The amount of people who bunked into Orient by walking through people's back garden was hilarious could be wrong but this was one of the first times our firm started sitting in the stands.

I've done from the period I was actually going

1989 - Man City 2- Chelsea 3 - Chelsea then top the 2nd division and away support is outstanding.

1990- Portsmouth 2- Chelsea 3 - League Cup and Chelsea losing with 10 minutes to go - I was listening to the car radio waiting for my ex to finish evening class and the radio commentary made me wish I was down at Pompey.

1992 Chelsea 2- Newcastle 1 - League Cup - Mate at work said the crowd was rocking and a terrific atmosphere.

1997 Chelsea 2- Tromso 3 - the cup match in the snow and scoring the late goals to give us a chance back at the bridge.

2003 - Arsenal 1 - Chelsea 2 and Wayne Bridge's goal sending us through to the Champions league semi.

1 hour ago, Richy C said:

I love this forum , brings back so many memories that have been locked away for years , 1981 boxing day 2-0 QPR plastic pitch , was at my Nans that christmas in Earlsfield and went with my uncle , was in the south Africa road stand seats near the Chelsea end , can`t remember jack s--t about the game but do remember thousands of Chelsea in green flying jackets many with them blue and white stripped woollen gloves going mental ,  I`ve went to QPR about 5 or 6 times in the 80s and  90s and never been in the Chelsea end , never had to it was always a home game , along with Palace and Fulham , we were away but fan wise it was a home game.

I`m yet to pick my 5 , do you have to be born or can it be anytime in our history ?

People have problems picked games they could actually have gone to I think

3 hours ago, Richy C said:

It can be anytime in our history. I just chose some games that I remember that I really wanted to be at.

1/ Wayne Bridge night at the library. Went to the home leg but couldn't get a ticket for this one. Perhaps my favourite ever Chelsea match.

2/ Bolton 05, was at the Bridge the next season when we wrapped it up against Utd, but would have swapped that one for Frank's big day.

3/ Munich, got a soaking in Moscow, and I swear I'll be there if we get to the final again.

4/ Barcelona, semi final in 2012, went there when Didi got sent off, guess I'm just a bit of a jinx at Euro aways, not seen us win away abroad since Stockholm.

5/ 6-1 at 3PL, don't have to explain this one surely.

My 5

1.Doncaster away Nov 60....Because i need the Programme

2.Portsmouth away Dec 60...Because i need the programme

3.Jeunesse Hautcarage away Sep 71...Because i need the Programme

4.Bolton away 83...Prob the most important result in our history

5.Real Madrid ECWC May 71 Replay....From the stories i've heard it was a great night.

Cheers

Jim