Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sign in to follow this  
mickyg

General Chelsea Thread Structure

Just wanted to raise the issue of thread structure again.

i really think the threads in the main General Chelsea section are getting too long and that this leads to a "boring" forum. For example, as of now, there are about 5,500 posts in the Conte topic thread.

i understand that there needs to be a balance. But every time I go in, the board looks pretty much the same. I would much rather see, say, three or four, latest "hot" topics for Conte - even if that meant there was some duplication of ideas between them. I could then pick the topic(s) I am most interested in and go straight to that content. For example - “Conte’s Sending Off”.

At the moment, it is almost just like looking at a directory of names and is a bit dull.

I love TheShedEnd and have read it for years. I appreciate all the effort that goes into running it. That is why I want the best for it and am offering my thought in that spirit. I really think that the thread structure needs to be livened.

What do you think?

100% agree with you @mickyg 

I find I miss a lot of current news on the player, etc because it gets lost in amongst the topic. If you go to the latest post unread and haven't visited the topic for a while, you see posts from way back when all you want to do is read up on current stuff. You then go to the end of topic but it then misses a lot of posts. Another one is if we're on the verge of signing a player, you go to the end of the topic and the talk is about what position they'll play in, etc so you are still none the wiser whether we signed him or not. It is annoying.

We did have issues a while ago with it, and a new rule was added "Give posts generic titles i.e. Do not just start a topic titled 'Mikel’, title it accordingly like 'Mikel to sign for Inter?" but it seemed it got ignored and then was too late to split posts into new topics.

The only way to stop it is for people to create new topics with current stuff as you mentioned, as going through thousands of posts and split into different topics would take years.

I'll move the topic into announcements.

3 hours ago, mickyg said:

Just wanted to raise the issue of thread structure again.

i really think the threads in the main General Chelsea section are getting too long and that this leads to a "boring" forum. For example, as of now, there are about 5,500 posts in the Conte topic thread.

i understand that there needs to be a balance. But every time I go in, the board looks pretty much the same. I would much rather see, say, three or four, latest "hot" topics for Conte - even if that meant there was some duplication of ideas between them. I could then pick the topic(s) I am most interested in and go straight to that content. For example - “Conte’s Sending Off”.

At the moment, it is almost just like looking at a directory of names and is a bit dull.

I love TheShedEnd and have read it for years. I appreciate all the effort that goes into running it. That is why I want the best for it and am offering my thought in that spirit. I really think that the thread structure needs to be livened.

What do you think?

Makes sense with a number of threads perhaps a manager one for each season and the same for popular players and repeated hot topics.

1 hour ago, Mod Stark said:

100% agree with you @mickyg 

I find I miss a lot of current news on the player, etc because it gets lost in amongst the topic. If you go to the latest post unread and haven't visited the topic for a while, you see posts from way back when all you want to do is read up on current stuff. You then go to the end of topic but it then misses a lot of posts. Another one is if we're on the verge of signing a player, you go to the end of the topic and the talk is about what position they'll play in, etc so you are still none the wiser whether we signed him or not. It is annoying.

We did have issues a while ago with it, and a new rule was added "Give posts generic titles i.e. Do not just start a topic titled 'Mikel’, title it accordingly like 'Mikel to sign for Inter?" but it seemed it got ignored and then was too late to split posts into new topics.

The only way to stop it is for people to create new topics with current stuff as you mentioned, as going through thousands of posts and split into different topics would take years.

I'll move the topic into announcements.

Awwwww....nobody ignored you, Mod, we ignored Loz :wink: