Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Sindre

Clattenburg on Battle of Stamford Bridge

31 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Further proof that the media is a massive influence on the referees, that's with help from punditry. Is it any wonder United, Liverpool & Arsenal get away with so many decisions? 

Tottenham that season and the season after were massively hyped by the British media, a lot of it was due to them having so many British players. There is no doubt there are many referees who feel just the same as Clattenberg did when they referee these games with teams that are heavily hyped by media. It's just protection now nothing more, the same happened for Liverpool back in 2014, if anyone can remember Liverpool couldn't stop winning games and when they needed 1 more goal you could guarantee they would get a penalty.

But most of all they had the worst defence in the league out of the top 6 by a distance and would never concede a penalty. What referee would want to be in the spotlight for that? Stopping the mighty Liverpool and ruining their amazing season, the season the media highlighted as "JUSTICE FOR THE 96" Gerrards tears after every match, the drama. Imagine being a referee and stopping that? Something needs to be done about it. I like the traditional rules but they're being heavily duped and it's no longer fair.

The more I read and see instances like this the more I start agreeing with @yorkleyblue that we need video tech to referee games, having more officials barely does anything. The other officials were supposed to help Arsenal against United on Saturday when it was a stonewall penalty, the other officials as always done nothing. 

I agree that we should be looking at video tech to referee games. We have a weird situation that one guy has to make split second decisions without any kind of assistance, while those same decisions are subject to the scrutiny of pundits and fans with access to immediate multi-angle slow-motion replays. I don't think refereeing standards will improve beyond where they are now as long as we're relying almost entirely on the perception of a couple of human beings. I have sympathy for the majority of referees who are trying to do an impossible job as well as they can, and if we have the technology to help them then it's stupid not to use it.

I think this Clattenburg situation is a bit different though because he has basically admitted that he made a conscious decision to not do his job properly, and in the process he put the safety (and careers) of our players at risk. He knew the decisions he was making were wrong. Although maybe if video technology had been in use then he wouldn't have been able to get away with it in the first place, who knows.

Edited by bluedave

Looking beyond this specific game. Could it be that the FA is encouraging referees to act like this? Don't send off players in high attention games in order to create spectacle, make it entertaining. If a player's leg snaps in the process, that just contributes to the spectacle.  

Clattenburg got the FA Cup job a few weeks later. 

8 minutes ago, bluedave said:

I agree that we should be looking at video tech to referee games. We have a weird situation that one guy has to make split second decisions without any kind of assistance, while those same decisions are subject to the scrutiny of pundits and fans with access to immediate multi-angle slow-motion replays. I don't think refereeing standards will improve beyond where they are now as long as we're relying almost entirely on the perception of a couple of human beings. I have sympathy for the majority of referees who are trying to do an impossible job as well as they can, and if we have the technology to help them then it's stupid not to use it.

I think this Clattenburg situation is a bit different though because he has basically admitted that he made a conscious decision to not do his job properly, and in the process he put the safety (and careers) of our players at risk. He knew the decisions he was making were wrong. Although maybe if video technology had been in use then he wouldn't have been able to get away with it in the first place, who knows.

Yes but he also listed his reasons for why he did it, he didn't want the media scrutiny of losing Spurs the title, a lot of referees will no doubt feel the same way.

Why do you think so many referees were frightened to death of Sir Alex Ferguson? You would be on the front page in no time if you made a bad decision against United. 

Chris Foy actually got demoted to League 1 refereeing when Ferguson ranted about him in the 3-2 loss against Tottenham in 2012. How many bad decisions did Chris Foy give us? Yet he was consistently refereeing our games. 

Edited by Slojo

3 hours ago, RMCM said:

This reads as borderline match fixing, admitting there were three red card decisions and not giving any of them? Very odd. What a c**t, glad he's not a ref anymore

It's not borderline.  It's flat out admission.  This is disgraceful and he should be barred from refereeing in the PL for at least a full season.  

What a load of sh*t.  Tottenham went up 2-0 and were still fouling hard and often. If ever there is a time to justify a red it's when a team is up 2-0 and making studs up challenges from behind and gauging eyes.  What a stupid, silly thing to admit.  It was clear he was dirty but why would he come out and admit it.  Never want to see him ref a Chelsea game again.  

1 hour ago, TheChelsRVA said:

What a load of sh*t.  Tottenham went up 2-0 and were still fouling hard and often. If ever there is a time to justify a red it's when a team is up 2-0 and making studs up challenges from behind and gauging eyes.  What a stupid, silly thing to admit.  It was clear he was dirty but why would he come out and admit it.  Never want to see him ref a Chelsea game again.  

He'll never ref in the premier league again, he's sitting in Saudi making a fortune reffing their mickey mouse games. Nontheless, FIFA should intervene and ban him from refereeing, this interview is an admission of guilt.

Well well well lookie here.......are those of us WHO say this legaue is bent still sound beyond crazy? What more do yu want? How can you follow this League for years and still not be aware Things aint right?

Clattenborg.....the best ref the pl had to offer not long ago comes out and says this sh*t........the fa, pgmol are all sick.........

Who’s going to make the complaint to the relevant authorities? Will Chelsea contact the FA/FIFA about it? Probably not. Can the fans do anything about it? Probably not. Will the FA/FIFa take intitative and do something themselves? No chance. 

Nothing will come of this at all. He’ll probably be praised for it. 

27 minutes ago, Deino said:

Disgusting. This interview should open a can of worms and the FA should be accountable in keeping each ref adhere to the purpose of their jobs which is to officiate and apply the rules.

Refs shouldn't manage a game. What would be the point of football?

PL Refs are managed by PGMOL so the FA can't do sh*t. They manage themselves, evaluate themselves, and investigate themselves. Its a racket.

1 minute ago, Stim said:

PL Refs are managed by PGMOL so the FA can't do sh*t. They manage themselves, evaluate themselves, and investigate themselves. Its a racket.

Or as some of us talked about the other day, the powerful help the powerful in eng........this will go under the carpet never to be mentioned Again. Just like that other ref WHO came out and admitted the fa and pgmol orchestrate many Things.

The Board should look to recover the fine we paid out to the FA due to this bellend being unable to reprimand the Spurs players and letting the game spill over after the final whistle.

The irony of us being fined for being unable to control our players when the reality was the FA's inability to appoint half competent officials in the PL.

Well, MC likes great theatre. He can have great theatre and will be in the centre of action, when I get him. Then he can then tell (toothless) our press how it is to get knocked down - face to face, not from behind, like our players, he didn´t protect.

Who still remember our game with Manchester United 2012? This same guy gave us 2 red cards in that game.

He made racial comment against Mikel. Chelsea had to chicken out because of fear of backlash from other referees.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/oct/31/chelsea-manchester-united-mark-clattenburg

Edited by rooomage

12 hours ago, Sindre said:

Rog: I need to ask you this: did a Clattenburg refereed game have a personality, if so, what were its traits?

Clats: There's one game in particular, which was the "Battle of Stamford Bridge." It was Chelsea vs. Tottenham, if was the famous that year Leicester win the title, it was theater. I went in with a gameplan that I didn't want Tottenham Hotspur blaming Mark Clattenburg that they were gonna lose the title. It should've been 3 red cards to Tottenham; I allowed them to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went, "Tottenham lost the title." If I sent 3 players off from Tottenham, what's the headlines? "Clattenburg lost Tottenham the title," and it was pure theater that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester win the title.

Rog: In that game, were the Chelsea players not screaming bloody murder, they're like, "Clattenburg what are you doing we're getting massacred here!"

Clats: It was the first game where Diego Costa never got cautioned (laughs). It was so crazy when you look back at the game but, when Hazard scored to equalize to make it 2-2 I've never felt an atmosphere in a stadium before like that before, because of Chelsea had stopped one of the enemies winning the title.

Rog: In a way you scripted it.

Clats: ...I helped the game, I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing. Some referees would have played by the book and Tottenham would have been down to 7 or 8 players and probably lost, and Tottenham would've been looking for an excuse but I didn't give them an excuse, because me gameplan was let them lose the title.

Rog: Listening to this, I was like, "Wow, Mark Clattenburg, even crazier than Diego Costa" (Clats laughs) that is saying something, but you've said, "I want games to be a spectacle," and hearing you talk about the Battle of Stamford Bridge, is that the referee's job or is it really down to the players?

Clats: I think we're all part of theater. That's why the Premier League is the best league in the world. Its assisted by the best players, the best referees, the best coaches, and we've all got a duty to make sure the game's enhanced. The English style of refereeing is different; I had to referee differently when I went into Europe than I did in the Premier League because none of the top players in Europe would accept some of the physical contact that went on in the Premier League - but that was the theater, that's what people loved. They love a tackle, they don't want it punished.

Rog: You pride yourself on man-management, its a phrase that comes up in conversation with you over and over, talking to the players rather than cautioning them, as you've said, you occasionally famously called them "mate" on the field. How do the players react to that? Do they really want to reciprocate and get on with the referee?

Clats: Gotta know the right time, that what's experience. Some young referees will try to speak to players too much and players sometimes don't want them to speak. I remember refereeing Ashley Cole. Speaking to Ashley Cole at the wrong time when he was going through things with his head (garbled) doing some tactics. But there were good times to speak to Ashley Cole, when he was calm and he was ready to get on with. Speaking to the player at the wrong time can have a bad effect.

Read it and weep. What a self-absorbed piece of sh*te.

the best reply to c**ttenburg

35 minutes ago, rooomage said:

Who still remember our game with Manchester United 2012? This same guy gave us 2 red cards in that game.

He made racial comment against Mikel. Chelsea had to chicken out because of fear of backlash from other referees.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2012/oct/31/chelsea-manchester-united-mark-clattenburg

That game was another instance when the powers that be made sure utd and Fergie got their last send off with a nice title win.........just another game where we once Again got shafted big time with 2 reds and an offside goal to win utd the game........the epl is out of control

55 minutes ago, rooomage said:

16 minutes ago, atomis said:

That game was another instance when the powers that be made sure utd and Fergie got their last send off with a nice title win.........just another game where we once Again got shafted big time with 2 reds and an offside goal to win utd the game........the epl is out of control

I have never forgot because that match took CFC's confidence & started a downward trend which got RDM sacked - Also I remember this banner being rolled out in the League Cup match after that fiasco

o-CLATTENBURG-570.jpg

basically manure fans paid their respect to cuttenburg <_<