Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

Vidahost - UK Web Hosting

coco

Norwich Vs Chelsea (FA) Sat Jan 6th 2018 17:30 UK

15 minutes ago, enigma said:

we won the league last season and we sit in 3rd place one point behind man utd. we are also in all four competitions still. there is always a huge overreaction after a less than desirable result. quite honestly, i am more concerned about our league form, which at the moment is as good as can be. i have never been that fond of cup games, apart from the european cup. it's nice to win obviously, but the league is far more important. 

I take your point but notwithstanding everything else going reasonably well, this was a very poor performance mainly because Norwich didn't play particularly well themselves.

We didn't lose and that is certainly something. I feel as though today was a bit of a straw breaking rhe camels back moment for me with certain players namely Bakayoko and Batshuayi. This was essentially our squad without Hazard, Kante, Tibo and Dave and confirmed for me our reliance on those 4 and the lack of quality below that.

8 minutes ago, charierre said:

We have a good first eleven but a poor squad.History tells  us teams who don't strengthen end up not staying at the top. As for the cup ,I like many love the FA Cup, the moment we decide if isn't worth bothering about is a sad day for football.

I agree. I hate it when people look down on the cups. There was once a time when the fans would take any trophy, we shouldn't arrogantly look down on them now because we are in a position to challenge for other trophies too. There could also come a time again where the cups are the only thing we can realistically win. We won't be on top forever.

The F.A cup and League Cup has been a huge part of our success since Abramovich took over and it's felt great seeing our team win them. Take them away and our progress since Abramovich arrived doesn't look half as good.

Its not just about the squad, i don't think the first team is good enough to win the league for a good number of years if it stays the same. Yes we won the league last year but so did Leicester without being in Europe and lack of injuries, looking at the first team and seeing Baka as a constant starter, RWB we lack quality and without Hazard the lack of creativity is obvious. Its not like Conte would dare play Fabregas with Kante then Hazard, Mahrez and Morata up top. Barkley is a good squad addition but i think Chelsea need to start improving the first team.

Van Dijk might have cost 75m but that was a position Liverpool badly needed to improve, they still need a keeper and another CB but its an improvement, they have now got the Coutinho money and could get Mahrez for half the price who i actually think is around the same if not better. Can is leaving but Keita is coming in. I mention Liverpool because they are making strides to improve the first team.

Shock and bad results happen and should be accepted.  It's part of football.  For example, the United loss to Bristol - United hit the bar twice and the Bristol keeper made lots of excellent saves, in the end Bristol scored in storage and won.  This is acceptable - what's not acceptable is what Chelsea did today.  It's the worst I've seen us play in like ten years.  No desire, passion or will to win.  We had 0 shots in the first half. 0!!! Their keeper never really tested and or players so f**king useless.  I would accept it easily if we showed that we wanted to win, but we never did and that's what pissed me off.  f**king hell!!  

10 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Spot on. Emenalo had some great signings but he missed the mark on a lot too.

It's not hard to spot talents like Lukaku and De Bruyne tbf. 

4 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Its not just about the squad, i don't think the first team is good enough to win the league for a good number of years if it stays the same. Yes we won the league last year but so did Leicester without being in Europe and lack of injuries, looking at the first team and seeing Baka as a constant starter, RWB we lack quality and without Hazard the lack of creativity is obvious. Its not like Conte would dare play Fabregas with Kante then Hazard, Mahrez and Morata up top. Barkley is a good squad addition but i think Chelsea need to start improving the first team.

Van Dijk might have cost 75m but that was a position Liverpool badly needed to improve, they still need a keeper and another CB but its an improvement, they have now got the Coutinho money and could get Mahrez for half the price who i actually think is around the same if not better. Can is leaving but Keita is coming in. I mention Liverpool because they are making strides to improve the first team.

Imo the problem with our squad is that the spine is up there with some of the best but the rest is varying levels of decent to underperforming. 

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I agree. I hate it when people look down on the cups. There was once a time when the fans would take any trophy, we shouldn't arrogantly look down on them now because we are in a position to challenge for other trophies too. There could also come a time again where the cups are the only thing we can realistically win. We won't be on top forever.

The F.A cup and League Cup has been a huge part of our success since Abramovich took over and it's felt great seeing our team win them. Take them away and our progress since Abramovich arrived doesn't look half as good.

The FA Cup win in 1970 was my first taste of a successful team as a kid. I got a letter and some goodies from Dave Sexton on the back of it and my love of Chelsea was firmly established. 

As for the cup itself I love all the shocks that have happened through the years, the big teams playing at crappy grounds and everything that goes with it bar the bloody semis played at Wembley. 

If you look at the depth man city have in all areas,

defence = mangala, danilo, kompany, if fit, zinchenko

midfield = bernardo silva, gundogan, diaz, foden, toure, delph, 

attack = sanchez, if they get him, bernardo silva, jesus, sane, sterling.

when it comes to our defence and midfield we have depth but not to the quality and quantity of man city, thats why when we play in some games over a short period of time, we look tired/scrappy. Not fun football to watch at all.

2 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Problem is Baka is playing that bad and no over exaggeration it is like playing with 10 men.

Yes, you are right.  I like the guy but I'm objective.  This dude is just so bad it's like we are playing with 10!

40 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Sure you're not getting mixed up with Jose when he played a weakened side and Bradford dumped us out of the cup at The Bridge 4-2?

I remember that and do think that JM devalued the FA Cup and recall talk that the players had not been briefed on the opposition at the time.

This season at Utd though I think he will prioritise the cup due to his exit from the League Cup.

6 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Problem is Baka is playing that bad and no over exaggeration it is like playing with 10 men.

Don't disagree at all. 

2 hours ago, enigma said:

these games happen. i find it quite bemusing that premier league sides (and the fans) are arrogant enough to think going away to a championship side, who will be hungry to win, will be a simple task and that it's a guaranteed win. 

Would it be arrogant of me to expect Chelsea players (which suggests some sort of pedigree and capability/talent) to be able to place an accurate pass, to have some sort of coherence in the game and to outrun an inferior opponent? And as a highly paid professional to actually have some pride and perform a decent job?  Or am I being unreasonable?   

Posted (edited)

Well, if he plays the same team for the replay, it's going all the way to penalties. Of course, at that point when it goes to penalties, there will be nobody left in the stadium. 

Edited by Famous CFC

1 hour ago, Stas1 said:

Would it be arrogant of me to expect Chelsea players (which suggests some sort of pedigree and capability/talent) to be able to place an accurate pass, to have some sort of coherence in the game and to outrun an inferior opponent? And as a highly paid professional to actually have some pride and perform a decent job?  Or am I being unreasonable?   

It's probably something to do with wage disparity. 

Imagine having to play with guys earning £10m pa and you're only on £3/4/5m pa- must be really disheartening. 

Can't blame some of them for not putting a shift in. :laugh2:

4 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

I also think Liverpool have done good business for Van Dijk, they've strengthened in the right area and the kid genuinely wants to play for them and scores on his debut. Not sure they will go for Mahrez yet if they do I don't think he will come cheaply. I would have thought at least £50m.

With us I just don't think we have moved forward, the purchases have just refreshed the leavers and I'm not sure we have a settled midfield and even less sure if Barkley will help.

Based on the highlights I have seen, they created better chances and we were toothless in attack, probably wouldn't have scored if we played another hour. Our attack was sideways passing around their box, individual players take on their defenders and put a hopeful shot in, and long range shots with no chances of going in. There was no creativity without Hazard and Cesc, Willian was having one of those quiet game, Pedro was no-existent unless he score a goal. In a way I wished we lost this game, at least no replay and a wake up call to all. Hopefully we will see Barkley makes his debut on return, and improvement among others.

8 hours ago, dhidza said:

Yes, you are right.  I like the guy but I'm objective.  This dude is just so bad it's like we are playing with 10!

Yet three short months ago, everybody was, literally, singing his praises when we beat Atletico Madrid at their gaff. No way we would have beaten them with ten men! I agree he's way below that form though. It's like he's a rabbit in headlights, when the ball comes to him. His confidence seemed to drain away, about the same time Lampard publically criticised him for Atletico's goal at the Bridge. Now that we have Barkley, I think he will benefit from being away from the spotlight, to spend some time on the bench. He might need this summer's recess before we see him back to his best next season. Some players do need that. I remember Makele's first season at Chelsea when he was dire. What happened afterwards went down in Chelsea folklore.

12 hours ago, dhidza said:

Actually we were playing with 9 men...Micky was just bad......

I thought the ironic cheers every time Baka made a pass didn,t help his confidence.

was at the game I have to say it was probably the worst performance I seen for a few years

5 hours ago, old git said:

Yet three short months ago, everybody was, literally, singing his praises when we beat Atletico Madrid at their gaff. No way we would have beaten them with ten men! I agree he's way below that form though. It's like he's a rabbit in headlights, when the ball comes to him. His confidence seemed to drain away, about the same time Lampard publically criticised him for Atletico's goal at the Bridge. Now that we have Barkley, I think he will benefit from being away from the spotlight, to spend some time on the bench. He might need this summer's recess before we see him back to his best next season. Some players do need that. I remember Makele's first season at Chelsea when he was dire. What happened afterwards went down in Chelsea folklore.

makelele was definitely not sure in his first season. That is ridiculous. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Those fans with ironic cheers (and booing their own players) should know that they are likely to have their prejudices realised but they should really think what benefit it brings the team.

Support your players!

Fans pay for travel and tickets, they can do what they like.

Edited by Ernie_blue

10 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I also think Liverpool have done good business for Van Dijk, they've strengthened in the right area and the kid genuinely wants to play for them and scores on his debut. Not sure they will go for Mahrez yet if they do I don't think he will come cheaply. I would have thought at least £50m.

With us I just don't think we have moved forward, the purchases have just refreshed the leavers and I'm not sure we have a settled midfield and even less sure if Barkley will help.

Mahrez at 50m is a good deal in todays market, less than half the fee of Coutinho. Chelsea need another player who can score and create for Hazard and not everyone waiting for the little man to do something.