Sign in to follow this  
ForeverCarefree

Club's investment into the squad

We've spent quite a lot of money, if we get Emerson and Dzeko, it'#ll go up another 40-50m. And yet, not one position has been strengthened from last year. Not one. We've spent it all on backup players and squad fillers.

We were crying out for wingbacks to really challenge Alonso and Moses, not average players to be backups. They both played way above their level last year and we're seeing this year, with added games, that they are nowhere near as effective. But the board penny pinched over Sandro and look where we are now.

With Matic going, we needed a top quality midfielder to come in and we've spent 40m on Bakayoko who looks very poor, 35m on Drinkwater which I'm still scratching my head about, and now 15m on Barkley who hasn't played for 8 months and wasn't anything special when he did play.

The thing that gets me, is the board will penny pinch over 5 million here or 10 million there on an individual player and we'll miss out, but then they'll go and spend far more than that bringing in 2 average players instead of the 1 quality one. It doesn't even make any sense.

We've got the best youth team in the world and yet they struggle to even make the bench in cup games. You can't tell me saving 35m on Drinkwater and putting RLC or Chalobah in the squad, and using those extra funds to bring in someone like Sandro, wouldn't have been a better idea and given us a stronger team.

But the real scary thing is there just seems to be no clear picture or plan for what is going on. A few years ago we had so much promise, we were buying quality young players and our future looked bright and now we've filled the squad with average players who will be hard to shift and are expecting, what exactly? There's no vision. I honestly cannot see Hazard and Courtois staying. They've had the contracts on the table for months and they haven't signed them, there's a reason for that. If they go, I don't know what we'll do. We are so reliant on Hazard to create that it's embarrasing, and we know the board won't spend the big money to replace him.

Only Chelsea can go from title winners one season to looking clueless the next. 

12 minutes ago, Zeta said:

And Leicester!

Other than that, I agree with a lot of what you said.

12 minutes ago, Zeta said:

We've spent quite a lot of money, if we get Emerson and Dzeko, it'#ll go up another 40-50m. And yet, not one position has been strengthened from last year. Not one. We've spent it all on backup players and squad fillers.

We were crying out for wingbacks to really challenge Alonso and Moses, not average players to be backups. They both played way above their level last year and we're seeing this year, with added games, that they are nowhere near as effective. But the board penny pinched over Sandro and look where we are now.

With Matic going, we needed a top quality midfielder to come in and we've spent 40m on Bakayoko who looks very poor, 35m on Drinkwater which I'm still scratching my head about, and now 15m on Barkley who hasn't played for 8 months and wasn't anything special when he did play.

The thing that gets me, is the board will penny pinch over 5 million here or 10 million there on an individual player and we'll miss out, but then they'll go and spend far more than that bringing in 2 average players instead of the 1 quality one. It doesn't even make any sense.

We've got the best youth team in the world and yet they struggle to even make the bench in cup games. You can't tell me saving 35m on Drinkwater and putting RLC or Chalobah in the squad, and using those extra funds to bring in someone like Sandro, wouldn't have been a better idea and given us a stronger team.

But the real scary thing is there just seems to be no clear picture or plan for what is going on. A few years ago we had so much promise, we were buying quality young players and our future looked bright and now we've filled the squad with average players who will be hard to shift and are expecting, what exactly? There's no vision. I honestly cannot see Hazard and Courtois staying. They've had the contracts on the table for months and they haven't signed them, there's a reason for that. If they go, I don't know what we'll do. We are so reliant on Hazard to create that it's embarrasing, and we know the board won't spend the big money to replace him.

My concern is whether this was intentional. Perhaps these were seen by our board to be signings to challenge and strengthen our existing squad but as we cannot compete in getting top class players any more, the players we can get are only of a standard where they naturally will become back up players and squad fillers. We are only talking of Dzeko pushing the first team because Morata is so inconsistent in his form (in fact I would say he has been poor with patches of hope and quality here and there). In reality Dzeko is only a squad player at best but as we don't seem to be attractive enough to real top quality players these are straws that we are clutching at.

There is no way that the reigning English champions with Hazard and Courtois on the team can´t attract top quality talent. It seems that the club´s priority is no longer to compete for the Champions League as it has been since Abramovich took over, but more so investing in players that we can sell on for a profit in a couple of years.

It´s clear that the club is not going to support Conte and I would be surprised to see him at the helm when we play our first game next season. So why spend this money now on Dzeko and Palmieri? It makes no sense. With Hazard and Courtois running down their contracts the club´s priority should be getting that issue solved first. We´re clearly not winning anything this year so why not save the money and go after Griezmann in the summer? That would be the sensible thing to do, but then again only if your objective is to win, which I´m not sure we´re trying to do anymore.

And the club owes an apology for Batshuayi, the fact he´s still not starting or at least rotating with Morata is beyond insanity.

Its plainly obvious that the owners priority is no longer CFC ( with the enormous exception of financing the new ground), which may possibly be around for longer than himself and serve as a lasting legacy.

I've no idea what sort of whole in his wallet Chelsea has cost him to date- wasn't there originally some loan scheme, which was effectively nullified in time? ( the football club does not owe him any dough to my knowledge.

His present wife is very much into art, and he's been indulging this big time for a good while now; art is an investment with almost guaranteed returns, whereas" investing" in top footballers brings no guarantees, and with wages and agents fees the money doesn't touch the sides.

Edited by Ewell CFC

Between who? The man has 12 goals in 25 appearances this season. Morata has 12 in 30. Besides that, Batshuayi compliments the play of Hazard much better than Morata who on his day can head the ball but on most occasions is a lump of tree holding up in the box.

3 hours ago, Zeta said:

How do you improve a position without having good backups?  

Honestly the central defense has improved personal wise drastically.  Christensen and Rudiger.  You'll point to Christensen already being ours but in fact he's about the only player in the last 10 years to come back from loan and not be sent out again or sold.  So it was still decision.  It's improved so much so that these two are probably the choice pairing at the minute.

If you improved every position every year in about 3-4 years we'd be some sort of mega team. It's impossible.  

3 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

And Leicester!

Other than that, I agree with a lot of what you said.

Blackburn. Arsenal. Leeds, they all did it too.

25 minutes ago, Van Butsen said:

How do you improve a position without having good backups?  

Sign players good enough to take the first team spot and let Alonso/Moses be the backups, if they can't outperform the new signing.

6 hours ago, Zeta said:

But the real scary thing is there just seems to be no clear picture or plan for what is going on. A few years ago we had so much promise, we were buying quality young players and our future looked bright and now we've filled the squad with average players who will be hard to shift and are expecting, what exactly?

Exceptional points Zeta. Even going back to Jose Mk II's first season we were buying quality/elite young players who if they didn't improve the squad immediately, would in the long term. Our dealings in the market since that season have largely been poor with the exception of Cesc, Kante, Diego and Alonso. We've bought in 22 first team players in that time. Morata and Bakayoko may yet come good but that is a terrible strike rate

We have wasted so much of Roman's money it's not even funny. If we could use our academy properly and actually strengthen rather than filling up on 30m squad players who will be moved on by the next manager that would be a big help. 

Conte needs to accept his part in the mess too. He plays Pontius Pilate with our transfers but Zappacosta at a minimum and probably more have been his choices. Meanwhile Sterling isn't ready for the next step yet Walker-Peters, Alexander-Arnold and Maitland Niles all seem to be at their clubs.

It´s a mess from every aspect. The club can´t expect results if they don´t give the coach their full support but honestly I´m tired of hearing excuses from Conte. Sure, the squad is not what it should be but that´s your issue to figure out and he hasn´t really tried anything, we´ve been running the same scheme for the entire season so no wonder nothing has changed. I didn´t expect us to compete in the league or CL this year but losing to Arsenal in the cup semis is unacceptable.

out of the last 5 windows, apart from kante, we have signed players that none of the other big clubs want. Money has been spent, but we are targeting the wrong players. 

Despite all the doom and gloom, we still have a good team, but I think we need to get back to signed young hungry players that have potential to turn into star players. 

There's a few players id move on the summer Luiz, zappacosta, drinkwater, pedro, and Batshuayi. Use what ever money we get to bring in 1 or 2 quality players that improve the team, move heaven and earth to keep hazard, and then fill the squad up with the likes of rlc, mount, ampadu, musonda, Hudson odoi, sterling, dasilva, and actually use them. 

If we aren't prepared to spend like city and United, then let's start playing the long game.

1 hour ago, big blue said:

out of the last 5 windows, apart from kante, we have signed players that none of the other big clubs want. Money has been spent, but we are targeting the wrong players. 

Despite all the doom and gloom, we still have a good team, but I think we need to get back to signed young hungry players that have potential to turn into star players. 

There's a few players id move on the summer Luiz, zappacosta, drinkwater, pedro, and Batshuayi. Use what ever money we get to bring in 1 or 2 quality players that improve the team, move heaven and earth to keep hazard, and then fill the squad up with the likes of rlc, mount, ampadu, musonda, Hudson odoi, sterling, dasilva, and actually use them. 

If we aren't prepared to spend like city and United, then let's start playing the long game.

Long game prediction: sh*ttier players are going to get pricier. 

I get what u are saying and am half in your court. The only thing we need to do in all honesty is to find our bargain values and give them a chance. Azpilicuetta, Anelka, Branislav - what makes all these players better than what they already are is the cost. They are super value for money and we need more of those signings. 

On 26/01/2018 at 13:38, big blue said:

We either play the 'long' game and concentrate on under25's, or we do what were doing now and play the crocked game, where we buy cheap players coming back from injury, as the case shows with our 3 winter signings.

Until you realise that the club's transfer business is being conducted for other reasons than for the purposes of strengthening the football team, nothing makes sense. Purchase of Bakayoko? Favour to Dmitry Rybolovlev. Barkley? Favour to Moshiri (who has close ties with Alisher Uzmanov). Pato and Miazga? Favour to Joorabchian. These are all deals ordered and sanctioned by Abramovich - Granovskaia does the paperwork. Conte has no say whatsoever.

50 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Our reserves manage to beat a league 1 team 3-0 yet our second string 1st team couldn't beat a Championship side, in normal time, with two attempts. The kids need to be our squad fillers, not wasting £35m on the likes on Drinkwater. 

Dr. Steve Brule Yes GIF

Edited by TheChelseaBlues

10 minutes ago, pamery said:

Until you realise that the club's transfer business is being conducted for other reasons than for the purposes of strengthening the football team, nothing makes sense. Purchase of Bakayoko? Favour to Dmitry Rybolovlev. Barkley? Favour to Moshiri (who has close ties with Alisher Uzmanov). Pato and Miazga? Favour to Joorabchian. These are all deals ordered and sanctioned by Abramovich - Granovskaia does the paperwork. Conte has no say whatsoever.

Interesting not heard of that theory before.