TomCFC85

Dzeko the Gecko

I’d be well pleased with Dzecko. Gives us lots of options. Morata can still be no 1 but will have to compete. 

‘This could be our best January window in some time. 

WAGNH is ripping this deal apart.  I found their view a bit extreme but they do bring up a fair point with FFP amortization if we were to spend 30m on him and only sign him for 1 or 1.5 years.

Thing is, it's not stupid.  He may be 31, but he's the kind of quality we need, and in this market who else are we realistically going to get that is of that standard?  50m for two players is actually a bargain, and I'd be very annoyed if we messed this up because of some 30+ policy which is stupid itself.

2 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

WAGNH is ripping this deal apart.  I found their view a bit extreme but they do bring up a fair point with FFP amortization if we were to spend 30m on him and only sign him for 1 or 1.5 years.

42 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

WAGNH has been against the deal from the get go.

Indeed. I think some of the points made are fair, for example in giving Dzeko 3 or 4 years aged 31 (breaking our 1 year for over 30s deal) do we potentially cause ourselves issues when we have Fabregas, Pedro and Cahill who would all be looking for extensions beyond 1 year? 

I think we're all desperate to sign anyone who isn't Carroll, Crouch, Barnes etc. so we'll happily forget facts like that. 

27 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Indeed. I think some of the points made are fair, for example in giving Dzeko 3 or 4 years aged 31 (breaking our 1 year for over 30s deal) do we potentially cause ourselves issues when we have Fabregas, Pedro and Cahill who would all be looking for extensions beyond 1 year? 

I think we're all desperate to sign anyone who isn't Carroll, Crouch, Barnes etc. so we'll happily forget facts like that. 

But at the same time many of us don’t agree with our 30 year old policy. So maybe it would be better if it got broken. I honestly think it’s a daft policy.

Totally understand their reluctance to offer a multi-year contract if that's the mandate of the club that is irreversible; I'm sure they will figure something out ;1 year guaranteed+1 option (based on previous years performance etc) + 1 option (based on previous years performance etc)...or something like that.  If not I guess we keep looking, although the market is pretty thin when it comes to strikers in January unless we look further afield.......who knows, knowing our lot we'll probably sign a big name out of the blue on the last day.............but there again :face_palm:

42 minutes ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

But at the same time many of us don’t agree with our 30 year old policy. So maybe it would be better if it got broken. I honestly think it’s a daft policy.

I'd agree with you on that as long as it means we're not giving 5 year extensions to Pedro Fab or Cahill

To be honest I really like the 30+ policy. I think we should stick to the rule and offer Dzeko 2 years deal maximum, as an exception because of our current situation.

I never want to see us in that situation again when our starting 11 was full of 30+ years old players.

1 hour ago, Spiller86 said:

I'd agree with you on that as long as it means we're not giving 5 year extensions to Pedro Fab or Cahill

I don’t think 5 years but I don’t see why we can’t give 2-3 years when someone is 30. It’s a bizarre way of dealing with it IMO.

1 hour ago, dansubrosa said:

To be honest I really like the 30+ policy. I think we should stick to the rule and offer Dzeko 2 years deal maximum, as an exception because of our current situation.

I never want to see us in that situation again when our starting 11 was full of 30+ years old players.

I think it's worked really well. If you look at the age of our squad now I comparison to a few years ago.  it's great. 

They can easily bypass it with clauses like set number of appearances get automatic year extension on to of 1 year extensionsW Without looking like favouring certain players. 

5 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

If we signed him on a 1.5 year contract, it will include an optional year extension. So the amortization would be lower than they are saying. 

At the end of day, we are reluctant to pay the sort of transfer fees it would cost to bring in a younger player of similar quality, who may not even start every week. So it leaves us with very few options. 

5 hours ago, axman2526 said:

that reads like the author f**king hates Dzeko.  Are we seriously suggesting the club wanted to buy Dzeko and then thought "oops he is over 30, well i thought he was younger"  come on.

The biggest sports outlets in Italy (in fact every single one almost) have the deal as a contract until 2021 on £4.5m a year.  If we balls up the Dzeko move because he is 31, that'd be unreal