AshB

Olivier Giroud to Chelsea

39 minutes ago, CFCCAN said:

Meanwhile City continue their extravagant spending with pursuit of Mahrez.....probably Vardy next and any another 60-80 mill player they fancy bringing in before tomorrow................meanwhile back at the ranch, errrr sorry circus...Giroud :face_palm: 

No, I am pretty sure City will stop after Mahrez.......and Suarez.........and Neymar........and Messi, oh wait, they'll never stop.

Lol at pep saying he aint got no Money hahaha.........he just got another defender in for 70m eu and seemingly 50 for mahrez.......he has exceeded 450m Pounds already.....and thats without mahrez btw.

Nothing fishy going on here at all ha UEFA?

And Giroud is the best we can do? Why not wait til summer, sell Bats, put Money on top and get Belloti?

3 hours ago, abramovich said:

Hazard, Courtois, Costa and Fabregas are top class players. They were key players in our two latest title wins. We wouldn't have come close to winning those titles without them. Now Costa's gone, Fabregas is getting on a bit and Hazard with Courtois may not be around too much longer. 

The squad is regressing because few years ago it had the likes of Terry and Cole at the back, Lampard in the middle and Drogba upfront. It had a core of top class players, real leaders on the pitch who were big game performers and a solid squad filled with very good players. Now we have one world class star in Hazard, maybe Kante is somewhere close to that level and a world class keeper. That's about it.

Here's a good point from Twitter

J. Tweedie‏ @JoeTweedie

'Lampard's point about Ballack signing for #CFC has gone under the radar. It pushed him to be better & demand more from himself. Who are we signing that is putting that sort of pressure on first choice players? On their worst day, half the team sleepwalk into their starting roles.'

You need to sign top talent to push other players. If there's no real competition for places, the team regeresses. It doesn't mean you have to spend insane amounts of money all the time, but you need to spend big on occasion.

You’ve missed my point a little. I never said we would stop signing stars, we will as well as players with potential, players to fill a roll, players for experience etc etc. Just not every window and every position every time we sign someone. There needs to be some perspective.

Of course Lampard makes a good point, I totally agree with it, but I also can see an older player being complacent and a younger player being hungrier in another case. But again, we aren’t abandoning signing top players. It’s just not every signing in every window. We also don’t f**k ours up like other clubs seem to and have to buy new stars straight away. Lacazete was highly sort after last summer , do you think they’d still be after PEA if he’d bagged 20 goals by  now?

What happens when we spend 400M in a summer and 2 other teams do as well.  One of them has to finish third then right? What happens when we try and make this right with another 400M the following summer but another 3 clubs do the same and we can’t get everyone on the park. 800M in two summers and nothing.. but we’ve signed the stars? What kind of atmosphere would that create.  Perspective. 

Also how many clubs have replaced a bronze statue worthy icon with another one immodestly after? You talk about replacing champions with champions like it’s easy to do. We’ve had two titles since Cole left and JT hardly played last year. Drogba was a cameo three seasons ago. You can only take a hit when you have 5 all time champions move on the space of a few years. That’s not a regressing squad though and we have not done badly at all to keep the leadership and traits they all showed.

Edited by Van Butsen
Autocorrect on drogba

5 minutes ago, The Don Antonio said:

Makes no sense why we are swapping a chelsea benchwarmer( Batshuayi) for an Arsenal benchwarmer..  He is a lazy version of Batshuayi. I would rather we keep Batshuayi and just  loan a striker to beef up the squad. Anyone but Giroud

Giroud is miles better than Batshuayi at the moment.

8 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

Giroud is miles better than Batshuayi at the moment.

They are both Lazy without the ball and dont press effectively at least Michy is improving in that regard. Giroud is 31 years old and isnt going to turn to a hustler all of a sudden. Most people are thinking of Giroud because of the previous sasons. He hasnt done anything this season and why buy a striker Arsenal want to get rid off to upgrade their offence. Our recent signings give me the impression we want to be the next Arsenal . Penny pinching because of a new stadium

Drinkwater

Barkley 

Giroud

Below our standards.  Wouldnt suprise me if Hazard left in the summer and i wont begrudge him. He can see a team getting weaker every transfer window

6 hours ago, enigma said:

in her defence, it's not a bad thing to negotiate a lower price when other clubs want to fleece us. you put your foot down and stick to your morals. 

It's one thing to be a good negotiator, it's another thing to be a bloody cheap bastard. There's a fine line between both and she has been waayyy on the side of "cheap" for some time now, regardless of the Morata transfer. 

28 minutes ago, dansubrosa said:

I feel this video shows Giroud's best qualities pretty well.

That video makes him look a truly elite level striker. Now given arsenal are willing to let him go he cannot be that. 

However, like any signing, if he comes let's support him and see how he does. 

Giroud would make the bench of most teams in the world today. He does better for L’Arse than lacazzetta. For the price and even considering his age it’s a bargain. Very experienced in the premier league, in the champions league and at international level. 

Marina has done well. Now if only we’d picked up Mahrez as well ....

11 minutes ago, ozboy said:

Giroud would make the bench of most teams in the world today. He does better for L’Arse than lacazzetta. For the price and even considering his age it’s a bargain. Very experienced in the premier league, in the champions league and at international level. 

Marina has done well. Now if only we’d picked up Mahrez as well ....

That would be too much for Marina. She's letting City have him.

7 hours ago, ScrubsLaneCFC said:

I'm trying to be balanced and see if from her side, but she has been lowballing for a few seasons now, it's not working, I feel she misses the big picture of the football club and is a numbers person, is she trying to show how clever and bad arse she is, I dunno, but either way she doesn't seem as good at her job as her peers at other clubs. 

She's REALLY good with numbers. Maybe too good for football. If this was a hedge fund or something like that, she'd be the shining star of the firm. But this is football. Clubs will tell you to f**k off if you lowball too much.

14 hours ago, Slojo said:

He's been here for like 5 months, he has 10 goals in 20 games, relax.

Just because he's having a bad patch people forget how good he was for the rest of the season, this is the same player who tore the United defence a new arse. 

Let's not forget how he tore apart Atletico's defence all game too. Was a nightmare for Godin all night long. Short-term memory is a funny but popular thing with some fans, it seems.

Giroud was one of the only 4 players who went to the Arsenal away fans after the match DT said (from Arsenal fan tv), and Wenger seems very open about the transfer.

Before the Arsenal match I thought Emerson was our last transfer but now I'm not so sure, Wenger doesn't seem confident that Giroud will be here, and Giroud might have been paying his last respects to the Arsenal fans in the away end. 

Edited by Slojo