Alvaro Morata

coco
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Didn't think he was too bad and feel as the rest of the team clicks he will also find another gear and start to score the goals we all want him to.

He's obviously not mentally strong enough to carry the burden of goals but once it's lifted by other players around him scoring I think he will also start to score.

More importantly, I think he will win us points in tight games with goals. May score just one but will be the one that counts.

I think he does better when he receives the ball on the move rather than being semi static....agreed that generally he could offer some greater movement, but today wherever he went he had at least two players on or near him and had nowhere to turn, and we were pretty woeful and pedestrian in the first half if we were honest; he played better in the 2nd half maybe because we were moving the ball quicker..................I don't think he is a dead loss just yet.   Comparing any subsequent centre forwards to Drogba and Costa will be difficult; Morata simply hasn't got the build as those two had, he is more of a Torres build.....perhaps one of the coaches needs to pull him aside and work with him in the gym for a few weeks and bring Drogba back to spend some time with him.  

7 hours ago, coco said:

He's getting there, lets give him till 2020, nothing ventured......

7 hours ago, coco said:

Yes that's right the last twelve months didn't exist, was all in our minds.

Stop being childish, nobody is even suggesting that.

What's more predictable than Morata not scoring is your responses in this thread to anyone who tries to shred a bit of positive light on the situation. Some people just don't want to write a player off after 1 season of football, you need to chill out. 

Edited by Slojo

He needs to improve his presence on the pitch, even if he doesn't score he should make more trouble for the opposition and be a bigger threat. If he can contribute 30% more he will be fine otherwise I think we will end up selling him.

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

What's more predictable than Morata not scoring is your responses in this thread to anyone who tries to shred a bit of positive light on the situation. Some people just don't want to write a player off after 1 season of football, you need to chill out. 

Hear, hear

You can clearly see the straw men in this topic. You know it's bad when they try to see the ''positive'' in some few, unimportant moments of the game and completely ignore the big picture. the same thing with Fernando - oh, he's got a great dribble, look how easily he passed this opponent but the miss after that was due to bad psychology and old injury, and the teammates don't make him feel well... open your eyes, guys. this lad here is a scrub. No first touch, bad finishing, isolating himself for the bigger part of the match, terrible passing - all of this displayed yesterday in his, how you called it, "not so bad'' performance. I'd even go further and say it great by his own standarts. Imagine him in his days off. 

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

1 hour ago, DiegoCostaForever said:

I can‘t get my head around the fact that we didn‘t dispose of Morata. He is a total failure and a bad excuse for a striker. 

We had Diego, ManUtd got Lukaku and we end up with one of the worst strikers. I hope he is kicked out of the squad because of what he is: garbage 

This is what those of us in the industry refer to as an "agenda"

We got about 1.5 seasons out of Costa. He'd play great half a season and then take the other half off while he was pining for a move. 

Let's review

Season 1 - starts off pouring in goals. Gets a violent conduct suspension after a league cup game in January and form drops off a cliff for the second half. Pines for a move to atletico, and complains that the English media is unfair.

Season 2 - Pines for a move to atletico, form, effort and attitude are still in the tank. Has a decent second half after his manager is sacked.

Season 3 - tells his new manager he wants to go to atletico (notice a pattern here?), begins the season pouring in goals. Has his head turned by a January big money link to China, form, effort and attitude fall off a cliff. From January on, it was assumed to the point of being fact that Costa would not be back for the 17/18 season. As he's being subbed off in the final game, announcers are saying "this looks like a farewell of sorts to Diego Costa as well [as Terry]"

But yes, this is all on Conte. You don't like Morata. We get it.

Nothing is stopping you from staying a Costa fan. He's the guy that had 3 La Liga goals last season.

Edited by Skinnedy

29 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

We got about 1.5 seasons out of Costa. He'd play great half a season and then take the other half off while he was pining for a move. 

Let's review

Season 1 - starts off pouring in goals. Gets a violent conduct suspension after a league cup game in January and form drops off a cliff for the second half. Pines for a move to atletico, and complains that the English media is unfair.

Season 2 - Pines for a move to atletico, form, effort and attitude are still in the tank. Has a decent second half after his manager is sacked.

Season 3 - tells his new manager he wants to go to atletico (notice a pattern here?), begins the season pouring in goals. Has his head turned by a January big money link to China, form, effort and attitude fall off a cliff. From January on, it was assumed to the point of being fact that Costa would not be back for the 17/18 season. As he's being subbed off in the final game, announcers are saying "this looks like a farewell of sorts to Diego Costa as well [as Terry]"

Nothing is stopping you from staying a Costa fan. He's the guy that had 3 La Liga goals last season.

That's pretty much as I remember it too, and during his half-arsed, non-scoring periods he often looked like a sunday league footballer. There seems to be a tendency for people here to have really selective memories.

1 hour ago, Skinnedy said:

Let's review

I am not on an agenda. If we had got e.g. Lukaku, I‘d certainly shut my mouth. 

But Morata gives us nothing at all, what‘s the benefit of playing him - can you tell me?

11 hours ago, Slojo said:

Bet you're fuming that we've got rid of Bakayoko after just one season, aren't you? Where's the uproar in his thread? 

8 hours ago, coco said:

Hypocrite !

Bakayoko is a different matter, I've explained this before, he has shown absolutely 0 footballing ability and genuinely one of the worst players I've ever seen wear the blue. So I have completely written him off.

As for Morata he at least showed something and wasn't anywhere near as bad as Bakayoko. 

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Bet you're fuming that we've got rid of Bakayoko after just one season, aren't you? Where's the uproar in his thread? 

I've already had this argument with you and it's not going to anywhere is it. You think Morata has been as bad as Bakayoko when that's just simply not true. 

You can either clutch straws at a comment I made and not recognise what I'm actually saying to brand me a hypocrite or you can just read all the posts that I've given on this subject and you'll get a right idea. Writing Bakayoko off is fair in my opinion, he hasn't looked anywhere near as good enough and it's been a disaster of a signing, Morata not so much. But yeah sure I'm a hypocrite because I'm not giving fair treatment towards two players who didn't play the same. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

I've already had this argument with you and it's not going to anywhere is it. You think Morata has been as bad as Bakayoko when that's just simply not true. 

You can either clutch straws at a comment I made and not recognise what I'm actually saying to brand me a hypocrite or you can just read all the posts that I've given on this subject and you'll get a right idea. Writing Bakayoko off is fair in my opinion, he hasn't looked anywhere near as good enough and it's been a disaster of a signing, Morata not so much. But yeah sure I'm a hypocrite because I'm not giving fair treatment towards two players who didn't play the same. 

Bakayoko had good games against big teams. Utd, Atletico, Spurs from memory. I'm sure you'll just write it off as 'oh he wasn't that good, he just wasn't bad' as i've seen before but at the time we all thought he played well and when he first came into the team whilst still injured he impressed.

Morata on the other hand, i remember him having a good game against Utd and Atletico and that was about it from the big teams. Even in the games he apparently dominated, like Stoke, he was still missing a vast amount of easy chances.

Point stands that if you want to kick up a fuss about not writing a player off after a year you're a hypocrite for wanting to write off another player in the exact same circumstances.

2 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Bakayoko had good games against big teams. Utd, Atletico, Spurs from memory. I'm sure you'll just write it off as 'oh he wasn't that good, he just wasn't bad' as i've seen before but at the time we all thought he played well and when he first came into the team whilst still injured he impressed.

Morata on the other hand, i remember him having a good game against Utd and Atletico and that was about it from the big teams. Even in the games he apparently dominated, like Stoke, he was still missing a vast amount of easy chances.

Point stands that if you want to kick up a fuss about not writing a player off after a year you're a hypocrite for wanting to write off another player in the exact same circumstances.

He wasn't that good though, United match he was extremely sloppy, whereas Morata was excellent in that United match. I loved his energy in that match but if we didn't win that game he would have been a scapegoat 100% for all the chances he was missing and giving the ball away in the final 3rd. 

Atletico was probably his best game I've seen from him, Spurs I disagree entirely, we were completely overrun in that game and I still don't know how we managed to win that match. 

Like I said before, you tried to say this a few pages back and people disagreed with you, Morata was good when he first came, we got a good player but he's been off since January, so a good 8 months he's been off now including the summer break. 

If I'm a hypocrite over this then what does that make everyone else? Most people want Morata to stay, and most people want Bakayoko to leave. They aren't comparable in this situation. 

30 minutes ago, Slojo said:

If I'm a hypocrite over this then what does that make everyone else? Most people want Morata to stay, and most people want Bakayoko to leave. They aren't comparable in this situation. 

You are right, plenty said Morata hasn't had enough time, but then on the Bakayoko thread they said they wanted him gone after one season. You don't need me to tell you how that looks. Yes Morata had a decent first six games, but if you check the Bakayoko thread people were saying similar about him looking good in the very early days, it's just that Morata can pin a few goals to his season, no matter how bad a striker can always have a few in the net to help them look a little better on paper, but a defensive midfielder having a nightmare season has no easy get out like goals, he has to be even more consistent. Over the season just gone i think they both performed to a similar disappointing level, certainly well below what was expected, and very much comparable.