Next Chelsea Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

3 hours ago, PedroMendez said:

Serious question what were peoples expectations at the start of the season?

top 3 with a decent showing in the cups were mine.

Got to the semi final of the Carling Cup 

Still in the Champs league and the FA cup

Manager is living up to my expectations so far, there is only so far you can push a small squad.

As much as I liked Carlo when he was here, and even if he wins the league next season, you can almost guarantee people will be calling for his head after a few bad results.

So given how fickle football is and how inconsistent the results I'm sure we will be having this question in 2 years time if Conte goes.

Personally I'd prefer that we backed the manager.

Should City have sacked Pep after a trophyless season last year and some almost comical performances?

I agree with you about the expectations and that when you look at it coldly all seems about par to this point.

The caveat is it's been obvious to me since the day he signed the "new" contract on bigger terms but same length that this was always going to be his last season and that all parties have known the score since that day. If i'm right then that makes him a lot more vulnerable than on first sight because we are on a poor run and in danger of missing out on top 4 so the board will be a lot quicker to pull the trigger and replace a man that's going in a few months anyway if they believe it will lead to results improving in the short term and getting top 4.

i think they ideally want to keep him until the summer and don't think he'll be sacked until we're at least a handful of points outside of the top 4.

May order of preference:

1) Sarri

2) Tuchel

3) Schmidt

4) Sampaoli

5) Enrique

6) Howe

7) Allegri

8) Ancelotti

9) Simeone

The way I see it, if we are not going to compete for the league I want us to play great, attacking football. Simeone would be a huge slog to get through when you aren't winning trophies. 

I think Zidane should be strongly considered if he is not going to last (which looks likely) at Madrid.

He has impressed me with how strong he is in decision-making. He is his own man and will make whatever he thinks is the right decision. He runs his team and squad as a meritocracy and is not afraid to choose unfancied and/or young unproven players. i think this stems from having been the player and icon that he was. He doesn't NEED to be a success as a manager so he is completely free to be invested in the process rather than being overly obsessed with the end result. He's similar to Guardiola in that way and the opposite to managers like Mourinho, Conte, Simeone who work backwards from the result and will then plan what needs to be done to achieve it.

My only doubt regarding Zidane is I don't know if he sees himself as a career manager or if he is of the mind that he landed in the Madrid job and when he's done there he's done outside of maybe the French national job.

Doomed, mardy continental manager who has fallen out with just about everyone at the club (admittedly not Tommy Langley yet)?

Absolutely forlorn in the League?

Still in the FA Cup?

Still in the Champions' League, against a team we are widely expected to get trashed by?

There is obviously only one thing which is going to happen:

image.png.7ba03da10c7d3581879041a12b7283e5.png

43 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

Doomed, mardy continental manager who has fallen out with just about everyone at the club (admittedly not Tommy Langley yet)?

Absolutely forlorn in the League?

Still in the FA Cup?

Still in the Champions' League, against a team we are widely expected to get trashed by?

There is obviously only one thing which is going to happen:

Hide contents

image.png.7ba03da10c7d3581879041a12b7283e5.png

I love me Roberto

Di

Matteo.

11 hours ago, PedroMendez said:

Serious question what were peoples expectations at the start of the season?

top 3 with a decent showing in the cups were mine.

Top 3/4 and not play mindnumbingly awful football and get out thought, out worked and out played more times than i can remember. I just want to enjoy watching us. Winning the odd cup or title is great, but its an entertainment business and in my lifetime this is possibly the worst football I've seen us play, these past 2 months of woeful, defensive tactics and terrible individual amd team performances might be even worse than the jose season. 

It seems more people in this thread are up for sacking Conte... he wasn't supported in the transfer window and lets be honest our squad is paper thin. 

It all has a familiar feel about it... the circus looks to continue. 

29 minutes ago, Zola said:

It seems more people in this thread are up for sacking Conte... he wasn't supported in the transfer window and lets be honest our squad is paper thin. 

It all has a familiar feel about it... the circus looks to continue. 

He wasn't backed in the market in a sense that he didn't get the players he wanted.

But the squad isn't paper thin. It's just full of limited players and very light on genuine quality.

Whoever comes in, has to fix the massive issue we have in the centre of park. It's been an issue for the last 3 seasons now. 

The matic/fabregas pairing was exposed in the second half of the title winning team under mourinho. Fabregas doesn't have the athletic ability to play there regularly. Jose wanted pogba, it didn't happen, and the following season was a disaster. 

We then signed kante, and his partnership with matic was okay, especially to begin with, but towards the end of last season, matic' was now looking like the weak link, and that combination lacked creativity and neither matic or kante are good enough playmakers. 

So we shipped out matic, (no problem with that, although shouldn't have gone to united), and we spent £75m on 2 midfielders that very few fans thought were good enough. Unfortunately the doubters have been proven right.

The team is crying out for athletic playmaker to compliment kante. We were apparently linked with tolisso, who would've been great, but he chose bayern, fair enough. Why haven't we then targeted another player with similar qualities? 

Really hope we go for someone like jorginho, or Seri. Someone who will get on ball and dictate the tempo. Fabregas was that player, but his inclusion hurts the team too much nowadays. 

4 hours ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Call me crazy but I'd like to see us going after Eddie Howe, Sean Dyche or Marco Silva.

And you are crazy.  Two mid-table managers doing the best they have ever done this season, and even then they are closer to the relegation zone than they are to us in the number of points, and a bloke sacked by a lower mid-table team.

Great ambitions!

But I know you were just being silly in a vain attempt at injecting some humour into this situation :)

The problem is short term and I think Frank Lampard could well step in.

Back four for me would be the way forward with two defensive midfielders and suspect Luiz may well be one.

Three up front.

I think Conte has been unlucky yet has also not been flexible / pragmatic enough and trust has probably gone with the board and this has filtered down to the players.

Not a disaster yet it could become one if things deteriorate further.