Next Chelsea Manager

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Who would be your choice as Chelsea manager going into next season?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Here are the current favorites with Conte included. Jody Morris is in there as he is the current youth team manager, and promoting from within seems to have worked for Barca, so why not us?!

• Luis Enrique
    • Massimilliano Allegri
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Diego Simeoni
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Maurizio Sarri
    • Jody Morris
    • Antonio Conte
    • Other

I’m happy to trust the board and Roman with the appointment. They are pretty good at choosing managers. The only ones I think they got wrong were Scolari and AVB - everyone has largely proved a success. Even AVB I would say it was more of timing/wrong squad issue. They’ve certainly had enough practice at appointing managers. 

Elemano said when he left that Roman is excellent at “looking people in the eye and judging their character”.  If he feels Sarri is the main then let’s back him. 

28 minutes ago, Delnino said:

I want to avoid Sarri at all costs, hes nearly 60 and hes won nothing in the game.

His football is easy on the eye but gets no results. 

Winning and playing good football is attainable with the right plan, system, players and manager in place, thats something Man City have been working on for about 2 years prior to Pep joining, we dont have that luxury at Chelsea.

I reckon if we sign Sarri,w e'll be back here in 12 months looking for Chelseas next manager again.

I'll back him if he joins, but right now, I'd prefer to keep Conte over Sarri, if they are the two options.

It's interesting you bring up man city. 

They sacked a proven winner in mancini, and hired a 59 year old Pellegrini, who hadn't won a trophy in Europe, and whose last title win was 10 years prior. 

Pellegrini was hired based on his ability to produce the sort of football that the board wanted, and he laid down the foundations for guardiola. 

I think sarri could do the same here, he probably won't last more than 2/3 seasons, but not many do these days, however I think that he could set us up well for future success. 

15 hours ago, Jezq8 said:

That’s your opinion,

but I want my manager to be wining trophies, that is what counts at the end of the day. 

How can you win trophies at a sub standard team though? 

This is like when people will only hire uni graduates yet expect years 5+ years of job experience. How are people expected to get the job experience without the chance of the job? Much the same, how can Sarri win things if a big team won't give him a chance. 

Wenger has won loads but i'd take Sarri over him in a heartbeat.

Like a journo on twitter said. Juventus hired Conte, when Conte wasn't accomplished, and so did Dortmund with Klopp. Too much is read into not winning something. We don't know what the board/roman are thinking. It's absolutely possible that Roman has decided he wants good football and is willing to give the next coach time to implement his style. It is possible that Sarri will need that time to implement his style, but it's also possible we could challenge next season from the get go. Nobody can predict anything, as much as people think they can. 

Edited by enigma

2 minutes ago, enigma said:

Like a journo on twitter said. Juventus hired Conte, when Conte wasn't accomplished, and so did Dortmund with Klopp. Too much is read into not winning something. We don't know what the board/roman are thinking. It's absolutely possible that Roman has decided he wants good football and is willing to give the next coach time to implement his style. It is possible that Sarri will need that time to implement his style, but it's also possible we could challenge next season from the get go. Nobody can predict anything, as much as peopl?e think they can. ?

We've all read that Roman wants to play beautiful football but hes only really hired AVB as a manager that was known for attacking, progressive football, granted, football has evolved and the counter attacking sitting deep in a block is all but gone and made way for a forward thinking hard, relentless and high press but we've always hired winners..........to win things.

I'd love good attacking based football AND to win things but attacking football thats easy on the eye isnt the be all to end all. If the scousers lose at the weekend and I hope they get destroyed, we'll have finished the season with more trophies than any team in the PL thats name isnt Man City.

Struggling to be excited by the prospect of Sarri coming. 

At the moment his selling point seems to be he got Napoli playing nice football but we're not known for being a particularly patient club with our managers and we're not likely to give Sarri two trophyless years just to improve our playing style. 

I just don't see the attraction to recruiting Sarri ahead of Jardim or Enrique.

I'm not sure I understand what he's done as manager to warrant wanting him to take over from Conte? 

30 minutes ago, Hazard10 said:

Well for a start Sarri actually wants to be here. 

I'm sure a lot managers want the nice payday that comes with being at Chelsea and it's purely speculative that Conte wants to leave. 

I'm talking about Sarri's credentials as a coach, what's he done that's anymore impressive than say Eddie Howe's achievements? 

Edited by ForeverCarefree

Guest Sindre
8 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I'm sure a lot manager want the nice payday that comes with being at Chelsea and it's purely speculative that Conte wants to leave. 

I'm talking about Sarri's credentials as a coach, what's he done that's anymore impressive than say Eddie Howe's achievements? 

He's performed for a top team. That's harder than doing a good job for the likes of Bournemouth.

He also turned Napoli into the second best team in Italy, while developing most of his players into what they are today.

Well apart from one season, with Neymar, Messi, Suarez, Iniesta, Xavi and Rakitic at his disposal, what has Enrique won? A lot of controversial performances outside of 2015 including with Barcelona. Jardim sounds better option than Sarri, indeed, but I don't see him coming here, he's used to develop and that requires time. We don't give time to anybody. So we have some smoldering rumors for Luis that are about to die  once and for all and whole bunch of defensive candidates. Better sign Sarri quickly or we are putting another season at risks exactly the same way we did last year with the transfers. 

Edited by Giordano_Bruno

6 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He's performed for a top team. That's harder than doing a good job for the likes of Bournemouth.

Define "performed". Most top teams and managers are judge on their ability to win things. Playing lovely football is great but nowhere in the history books will it say "2017/18 Serie A Champions: Juventus*

*but Napoli didn't half play some nice one touch stuff"

To be honest I disagree with the sentiment about it being harder than managing a team like Bournemouth. Bringing stability to a team with humble resources and establishing them in the top division, all the while playing good football is no small achievement. Sarri hasn't pushed Napoli to be a team that's overachieving or anything like that, if anything he's just picked up from where Benetiz left them. 

12 minutes ago, Sindre said:

He also turned Napoli into the second best team in Italy, while developing most of his players into what they are today.

Okay but is what he's done any less impressive than what Jardim has done at Monaco? Difference being with Jardim that he's managed to overcome the financial super-power he's up against in Frace whereas Sarri has run Juventus (and their slightly more modest resources) a close second. 

I'm not saying I don't want Sarri here but I'm struggling to understand the hype. I'm not sure I understand what it is that apparently makes him an attractive appointment? 

3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I'm sure a lot manager want the nice payday that comes with being at Chelsea and it's purely speculative that Conte wants to leave. 

Purely speculative ? haha let's face it Conte's been going through the motions since January. The fire he had in the beginning is gone and without that fire he really isn't half as good a manager. 

The amount of mistakes he's made this season has been quite shocking really. Conte's just waiting for that nice sacking fee he's gonna get. 

Regarding Sarri's credentials he's had to work his way up from the bottom the only team where he had an actual chance at winning trophies with was Napoli. 

He came close to winning it this season and kept Napoli challenging for the 3 seasons he was there when they simply had no business doing so.

Before Sarri got his hands on this Napoli team none of them were touted as great players. Reina-Hysay-Albiol-Koulibaly-Ghoulam-Jorginho-Hamsik-Allan-Insigne-Mertens-Callejon.

Bunch of rejects, nobody's and inconsistent players that he turned into what they are today. Doing it while playing great football, keeping them close to the top without any big signings. 

Take a look at their transfers. https://www.transfermarkt.nl/ssc-neapel/alletransfers/verein/6195

Their most expensive signing when Sarri was there was Milik 32 million euros, second most expensive Maksimovic 20 million euros. 

Also before Conte won the league 3 times in a row with Juventus he hadn't won any trophies either. 

15 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Define "performed". Most top teams and managers are judge on their ability to win things. Playing lovely football is great but nowhere in the history books will it say "2017/18 Serie A Champions: Juventus*

Based on budget, Napoli keeping Juventus honest in a title race (which they have done for all of Sarri's time there) is the equivalent of Hibernian doing likewise to Celtic in the SPL.

8 minutes ago, Hazard10 said:

Purely speculative ? haha let's face it Conte's been going through the motions since January. The fire he had in the beginning is gone and without that fire he really isn't half as good a manager. 

Well it's speculative in so far as nor he or anyone from the club has said he doesn't want to be at Chelsea anymore. At this moment in time it is nothing more than assumption by some that he doesn't want to be at the club. 

10 minutes ago, Hazard10 said:

Regarding Sarri's credentials he's had to work his way up from the bottom the only team where he had an actual chance at winning trophies with was Napoli. 

For what reason was he ever given the Napoli job in the first place? Reading up about his managerial history it seems he was a bit of a lower league nomad for over a decade until getting Serie B side Empoli promoted and finishing 15th. 

For whatever reason Napoli took a gamble on him.

If you read his win percentage rate for his previous clubs it reads much the same as Eddie Howe's. So why don't we do what Napoli did and entrust an attack minded coach who's not previously managed a "big" club before? 

I mean, what expectations would Sarri's appoint bring? Not that he's going to win things because there's no proof he's got the ability to win titles. So you'd be appointing him, presumably on the basis of changing our playing style and maybe improving some of the younger players? But based on those two targets there's plenty of coaches around who have a reputation for those things so why Sarri?

9 minutes ago, Argo said:

Based on budget, Napoli keeping Juventus honest in a title race (which they have done for all of Sarri's time there) is the equivalent of Hibernian doing likewise to Celtic in the SPL.

But ultimately you've still come second in a one horse race... So.... So what? 

I'm not dismissing Sarri, just playing devil's advocate as much as anything. I just want to understand why some people seem so excited by the idea of him joining. 

I mean, if it's about playing pretty football and improving young players but winning something isn't necessarily a requirement, why don't we appoint Wenger? 

7 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

But ultimately you've still come second in a one horse race... So.... So what? 

I'm not dismissing Sarri, just playing devil's advocate as much as anything. I just want to understand why some people seem so excited by the idea of him joining. 

I mean, if it's about playing pretty football and improving young players but winning something isn't necessarily a requirement, why don't we appoint Wenger? 

I basically covered the basis yesterday. 

Now onto the point with Sarri, yes he is a risk but he is a calculated one. Also judging managers on previous silverware is a bit of a moot points these days considering the two most decorated managers available are Ancelotti and Wenger, one gets repeatedly fired at top clubs for the same flaws and the other well enough said.

He may have won nothing yet but he has shown he can get teams competing playing great football on a short budget. We aren't as brassic as Conte and some of his apologists try and make out but we certainly are not competing with the Manchester clubs in the market any time soon. Conte has made it abundantly clear he isn't having that, Sarri is a big believer in developing players, the same way we are trying to play down the ability of some of our players playing in a system of Sarri's, Napoli fans were laughing hysterically at the thought of Koulibaly being made into a composed ball playing CB back in 2015. Appointing ready made managers for a title or two worked for a while, but if were looking at competing in the long run, we need to get a style implemented for two key reasons.

1. The high pressing, all energy attacking style is becoming the way to go in the modern game just like the solid shape and counter was in the 00's. Despite finishing second United are looking in serious trouble and with the famous Mou third season coming up and all other top 6 having progressive managers next season, would you bet against them falling back down to 6th? or worse if he hysterically has another 15/16.

2. Our academy sides play the type of game Sarri does. At the minute the disconnection between the first team and the academy in terms of play style is alarming, someone like Sarri coming in and bridging that gap will surely help in terms of the best youngsters progressing to the first team. The Academy is the one thing we have over the clubs that are/can spend more money than us, and at some point we have to make it count.

Even if Sarri last for two years and wins nothing, there's every chance he could still be key in transitioning us into a wonderful new era and for me he is absolutely worth the gamble.

Could be wrong of course, but I have a strong feeling that it will end in tears rather quickly if we get Sarri.

His honours list is next to non existent. Wenger played the best football in the premier league for decades... and last won the league back in 2003 season. 

If  When our players down tools, and fall out with proven winner managers, just how do we expect them not to fall out / lose respect / stop playing for a manager who hasn't won anything - they instinctively wont respect him as much

Our club needs a proven winner to lead the players to win leagues. 

Seems an utterly daft move.

15 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Hope I'm wrong, but if we do appoint Sarri, I get the gut feeling it will be Scolrai / AVB all over again and he'll be lucky to last 1 season.

Must admit I have the same gut feeling, not because I think Sarri is the wrong coach but because I just don't think we have the players nor do we have the foresight to replace the players who don't/won't fit his style.

This comes with a caveat that I hope he'll change things tactically next season but I'm swaying toward wanting Conte to stay for another season.