Sign in to follow this  
TomCFC85

Sarri

I don't think there would need to be a massive overhaul for sarri to get us playing his way, Maybe a centre back and a midfield playmaker. 

I would say we are a better possession team now than we are on the counter. We waste a lot of counter attacks by not being decisive enough, and not breaking with enough speed or purpose. 

If you think the current core of the team is Courtois, Christiansen, Kante, Hazard, Morata. I would think possession based football would suit them better. 

8 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

But we were always playing a pretty defensive counterattacking football in the different formations imo. 

As for the formation change, i think we would need a big change in personnel to go back to a back 4. Alonso, Moses, Luiz etc. all redundant in that formation. We've seen how rigidly we play out from the back now, then look at how Sarri expects Napoli to play out from the back. Christensen and maybe Azpi the only ones capable. 

Could our current players honestly do this?

We don't play a defensive counter attacking game. We average 55% possession. We play the ball out from the back and train positional structures from the back. By definition we are not a counter attacking team nor are we a defensive team.

We have the fifth highest possession in the league, 4th most amount of short passes per game (511), 6th highest percentage of play in the oppositions 3rd (29%) and joint 5th lowest possession in our own third. We are statistically one of the most attacking and possession oriented sides in the league. We aren't as effective as Man City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Napoli (Although very close to Liverpool statistically) and our positional game is quite rudimentary compared to Man City and Napoli but we have the foundations of a fantastic positional side and that is in large part due to Conte's training moving away from Mourinho's transition based style to utilise many concepts used by guys like Guardiola and Sarri. 

Compare to Atletico, a truly counter attacking side:

Possession: 48%-55%

Passes per game-446-562

The only real radical change would be in the way we press the ball. Conte is a very passive manager when it comes to pressing and prefers keeping compactness over pushing higher up the pitch. This is something that we must change if we want to continue competing as every top European team presses much more effectively then we do.

32 minutes ago, Total-Football said:

We don't play a defensive counter attacking game. We average 55% possession. We play the ball out from the back and train positional structures from the back. By definition we are not a counter attacking team nor are we a defensive team.

We have the fifth highest possession in the league, 4th most amount of short passes per game (511), 6th highest percentage of play in the oppositions 3rd (29%) and joint 5th lowest possession in our own third. We are statistically one of the most attacking and possession oriented sides in the league. We aren't as effective as Man City/Liverpool/Arsenal/Napoli (Although very close to Liverpool statistically) and our positional game is quite rudimentary compared to Man City and Napoli but we have the foundations of a fantastic positional side and that is in large part due to Conte's training moving away from Mourinho's transition based style to utilise many concepts used by guys like Guardiola and Sarri. 

Compare to Atletico, a truly counter attacking side:

Possession: 48%-55%

Passes per game-446-562

The only real radical change would be in the way we press the ball. Conte is a very passive manager when it comes to pressing and prefers keeping compactness over pushing higher up the pitch. This is something that we must change if we want to continue competing as every top European team presses much more effectively then we do.

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/chelsea-gone-pls-best-counter-attackers-worst/

Chelsea were the best counter attacking team in the league until our dip in form.  

There’s also an apparent lack of Plan B with Chelsea and a growing feeling that if they don’t score first, they are going to struggle.

So much of Conte’s tactics revolve around getting a lead and then hitting sides on the counter-attack. They scored a league-best seven goals via this route in the 2016-17 season, but incredibly they’re yet to score a single counter-attacking goal this time around.

It seems that teams have cottoned on to what Chelsea are good at and worked out how to stop them effectively.

Well let's hope he doesn't sign that contract extension with Napoli then. Sarri's style of play vs Pep in the premier league will be entertaining to watch. City vs Napoli at the Etihad was a spectacle.  

No way he is coming. Doesn't know English apparently and I don't see why he would he leave Napoli. We would have to replace too many players to adopt his system and it's just not going to happen. Not a complete write-off and I'd love him here but highly unlikely. 
really?

Sarri worked as International bank trader in London and Luxemburg before quitting the bank hob for his passion so I don't think that the language can be a problem

I hope that he will teach football for long time in my Napoli but I think that he will have in some year a great experience in Premier League or in Spain

5 hours ago, primax79 said:

really?

Sarri worked as International bank trader in London and Luxemburg before quitting the bank hob for his passion so I don't think that the language can be a problem

I hope that he will teach football for long time in my Napoli but I think that he will have in some year a great experience in Premier League or in Spain

I assumed he didn't because he refused to have an interview in English after the Man city game (CL group stages) according to the sky reporters. He might just be shy or wasn't in the mood, if that's the case then great he knows english :)

On 2/7/2018 at 20:38, zes said:

Well let's hope he doesn't sign that contract extension with Napoli then. Sarri's style of play vs Pep in the premier league will be entertaining to watch. City vs Napoli at the Etihad was a spectacle.  

problem is, i think you gotta have the players to play that way. jorginho, mertens, hamsik, insigne, milik, callejon, allan. they are all very good technically. i am not sure sarri could replicate that with this team, but he might. 

On 4/12/2018 at 17:50, enigma said:

Where is this guy getting his information from?  Is he reliable?  I watched some of his other videos after this one, but first I’ve seen of him.

I think Sarri is a good choice, as i think he is a great coach whose teams play a great brand of football, but i´ve heard a lot of people claiming that his rotation policy is very poor, and honestly, i think we need a manager who likes to use youth and rotates a lot, so we can use our squad to the fullest( and that includes players like Hudson Odoi and Loftus Cheek), and from what i´ve seen, Sarri does neither of these things

5 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

Where is this guy getting his information from?  Is he reliable?  I watched some of his other videos after this one, but first I’ve seen of him.

not sure, but the info about sarri came out the same day he uploaded so interesting how he got it

1 hour ago, The Brit said:

That bloke in the video is full of sh*t...just chasing likes 

True, but he did went into some very deep details, like which formation we are trying to use next season, even the extent of our talks with him.

Its probably BS though, so i´m not holding my breath.

Bring back all the young players and use them along with any of our top players who want to stay. I am not that bothered about the manager, as long as he is clearly given 3 years to develop a team and start winning trophies again.

We will not be in the same position as City etc., able to pay the 80-130 million transfers. So lets take the raw talent and build a team. 

I would love it if we could go in and get Mpappe for instance but it is not going to happen.

I started going in 1967 and the changes in football I have seen since Gullit came, then JLV (apart from 2-0 away at Bradford) etc.... and then the trophies/titles we have won.... we've had a terrific time! I would not complain at all if we had a couple of quiet seasons as long as there was a plan........and it got easier for me to buy tickets with my few points.    :smile:

28 minutes ago, ZippyNW said:

Bring back all the young players and use them along with any of our top players who want to stay. I am not that bothered about the manager, as long as he is clearly given 3 years to develop a team and start winning trophies again.

We will not be in the same position as City etc., able to pay the 80-130 million transfers. So lets take the raw talent and build a team. 

I would love it if we could go in and get Mpappe for instance but it is not going to happen.

I started going in 1967 and the changes in football I have seen since Gullit came, then JLV (apart from 2-0 away at Bradford) etc.... and then the trophies/titles we have won.... we've had a terrific time! I would not complain at all if we had a couple of quiet seasons as long as there was a plan........and it got easier for me to buy tickets with my few points.    :smile:

This is my view. I would happily take top 4 and no silverware next year if we could clearly see a vision and direction the club is going in. I imagine 'Pool will win something next year and that is because they identified the manager for the job and helped him build his dream. It could take a season or two but we'll get the rewards in the long run. 

18 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

This is my view. I would happily take top 4 and no silverware next year if we could clearly see a vision and direction the club is going in. I imagine 'Pool will win something next year and that is because they identified the manager for the job and helped him build his dream. It could take a season or two but we'll get the rewards in the long run. 

yeah, but would you happily take mid-table, 8th to 17th and no silverware next year (and for the following few seasons) if there was a published plan of action for you to see and approve?

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

yeah, but would you happily take mid-table, 8th to 17th and no silverware next year (and for the following few seasons) if there was a published plan of action for you to see and approve?

I don't think i'd take anything lower than 8/9th personally. Even whilst building our squad should be good enough to challenge top 6 at the very least. 

Edit: It would depend on what our squad looked like in that period. If we kept Hazard/Kante etc. then i'd expect top 6.

Edited by RIP Mourinho