Chelsea V Barcelona (CL) Tues 20th Feb 19:45 UK

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

14 minutes ago, coco said:

If Cesc plays we will down to 10 men when were not in possession, which will probably be for over an hour. I hope he takes his knitting needles with him.

Better than playing 10 against 12, if Bakayoko starts.

Courtois

Dave - Christensen - Rudiger

Zappacosta - Kante - Bakayoko - Alonso

Fabregas

Hazard - Morata

I would expect to see something like that. Not thrilled at the idea of Bakayoko starting but maybe, just maybe he can pull a performance out the bag like he had against Atletico away... We can only hope. 

I like Cahill but I think he's days are numbered as a started and the thought of Messi and Suarez running at him feels me with dread.... I can picture him already, furiously back peddling towards our goal. 

Zappacosta would be my preference, personally I think Moses has looked a bit sloppy recently and his couple of goals have covered up relatively poor performances. 

Here is my input and what I think we will see:

Firstly, Barcelona play, this season, mostly, with a 4-3-1-2 diamond, with Paulinho behind Messi and Suarez and a midfield of Busquets, Iniesta and Rakitic. Sergie Roberto could play there, but will most likely play as RB. After Coutinho's arrival and Dembele's return from injury, we could see a change in formation - Barcelona played this season also traditional 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 . Based on Valverde's calm personality, I think it is unlikely we will see Messi, Suarez, Iniesta, Coutinho and Dembele play together from the outset; it is just unbalanced, with too many players not good at defending. If anything, Coutinho or Dembele will replace Paulinho. In any case tough, this season Barcelona almost always defend in a traditional 4-4-2 with Suarez and Messi pretty much absolved from defending duties. But when attacking, they majorly attack from the centre. One caveat is the pressure: Barcelona this season press high and good. Lastly, a change in the back 4 which consists of Alba, Umtiti, Pique, Roberto is extremely unlikely unless an injury will strike (we perhaps will be able to exploit their defence; sometimes, they appear shaky. Also, if Coutinho or Dembele would start, we could see times of only 7 Barcelona defenders - a negative for them).

Now, For us: given the way Barca play and given the fact the Conte likes in big games to go with a three-man midfield, we probably will see a 5-3-2. In defence, If Alonso is fit, Conte probably would opt to play Zapa. Why? He is a better - albeit not very good - defender then Moses, he is faster, has sterling stamina and is taller - which is significant because Dave is playing adjacent to him, plus good for set-pieces (and played this season'sbig games) . In Attack, Hazard and Morata, if fit, will be present. The big question is who will compose this mid. Excluding Kante, 4 players are fighting for two slots: Baka, Cesc, DD and even Luiz. It may sound crazy, but I think that DD has the best chances - he has stamina, can attack and defend, has reasonable height and decent passes. For the last spot: Luiz - has terrible form, probably fallen out with Conte, is reckless and absentminded, however, is strong, tall, and quick (useful traits against agile Barca); Cesc - Cannot - under any circumstances - defend, has no work-rate, weak and in bad form, however, has creativity and he is the best passer we got; Baka - probably has Cont's nudes so he will start. Anyway, I think at least we will see two player who can defend well. It is also worth mentioning other options: Conte selecting 3-4-3 - and then the mid would consist of Willian and Pedro, Hazard false 9, and Kante and Baka (in this option Cest would not start); and the option of playing Cesc in the mid and trying to mask his defending abilities - like against Tottenham when Conte played Luiz and Kante and Cesc (if this is the case, Conte might try him as a Pirlo, Like Juve, when he played in the centre of mid, thus he saves running to the sides and coming back...). One caveat: Even against Man Utd, and throughout this season, it was clear that when using the 5-3-2 spaces would form in the half-spaces. It is crucial for the midfield man, Hazard and Morata (that occasionally support) and our full-backs (that in Antonio's system come up far) to cover those spaces. Barca and Messi, in particular, love 'em.

To conclude: If we desire to turn around this season, we must see more of the combination play Conte is so fond of, use wisely the opportunities we will get to counter attack, and cover the spaces popping up in the half spaces  and hope Messi is having a day off. Looking at past encounters, we, only might, will be able to see them off. fingers crossed!

On 2/14/2018 at 05:12, Erdal1905 said:

Somehow I am not too scared for this, history shows , no matter the current squad, we will show up against them. Hopefully we will rest Hazard and Kante against Hull and also I want David Luiz to play against them!

Tibo

Dave Luiz Christensen

Moses Kante Cesc Alonso (if available)

Pedro (Willian) Hazard

Giroud (Morata)

Guess Pedro and Cesc will play against their former Team.

I like the Line up except Luiz playing against Barcelona. He is too error prone and will be exposed by suarez. We were lucky in 2012 that he was injured and missed both ties against Barca.

Will play

T-Bo

DAve  CHristensen  Rudiger

Moses      Fab      Kante         Alonso

Pedro  Morata    Hazard

Hopefully Cahill and Baka dont make the matchday squad

10 hours ago, didierforever said:

Thats just not true. 

The "weak in character" and "untalented" have won 2 PLs in the last 3 years. This team is definitely talented. Yes, we do have some average players but the system and formation gets the best out of them (moses and alonso). That 2012 team was a squad full of veterans and battle hardended leaders (cech, cole, lamps, JT, DD, Iva). Any team would look "weak in character" in front of them, but I still believe in this team. Hell, I am overly optimistic about us against barca. Dont why, I just am.

Yes and also finished 10th downing tools during the season, and good chance this season of finishing 5th at best, I hope I'm proved wrong against Barca, but I've spent some hard earned money this season watching pathetic performances at palace, west Ham, Arsenal, and some dreadful home performances as well, and sorry but I stand by my comment I have real concerns of this present teams character. Up the blues though!

On paper we are underdogs and Barcelona are in execeptional form this year. My head says we will go out, but in football anything can happen.

it will be a 3-5-2 

courtois

azbi christensen rudi/Cahill 

zapp baka Kante Alonso 

fabregas

morata hazard 

7 hours ago, chi blue said:

Yes and also finished 10th downing tools during the season, and good chance this season of finishing 5th at best, I hope I'm proved wrong against Barca, but I've spent some hard earned money this season watching pathetic performances at palace, west Ham, Arsenal, and some dreadful home performances as well, and sorry but I stand by my comment I have real concerns of this present teams character. Up the blues though!

5th at best??? Seriously? Even currently we are 4th. Have gone through our rough patch and we are still 4th and if we win at united, we will be at equal points. We finished 6th in the season we won the CL, FYI.

And talking about downing tools, what happened in the 2011/12 season when AVB was here? Or scholari? 

Yes, we have been inconsistent this season, but I am optimistic about the barca games. Come on Chelsea!!!

I think the best chance we have is with this team :

Courtois

Azpi  Christiansen Rudi

Moses  kante Luiz Palmieri

Willian   Morata   Hazard

Alonso has no pace to keep up with Barca attack thats why Palmieri starts.

Luiz is a big game player doesn't matter he is not on top form he gets up for big games.

Willian is more suited to this game tracks back more than pedro and is good at free kicks also a better dribbler.

Willian and Hazard has to pin back Barca fullbacks stop them from joining attack make life difficult for them thats the key.

6 minutes ago, DJSankiller007 said:

I think the best chance we have is with this team :

Courtois

Azpi  Christiansen Rudi

Moses  kante Luiz Palmieri

Willian   Morata   Hazard

Alonso has no pace to keep up with Barca attack thats why Palmieri starts.

Luiz is a big game player doesn't matter he is not on top form he gets up for big games.

Willian is more suited to this game tracks back more than pedro and is good at free kicks also a better dribbler.

Willian and Hazard has to pin back Barca fullbacks stop them from joining attack make life difficult for them thats the key.

Yep, that would be the starting line-up I would be happiest to see.

9 hours ago, BordeauxBlue said:

Make or break game for Bakayoko.

At this point I want us to move him on and for get someone better like a Milinkovic Savic.

Maybe he will step up to the plate this time?

Really can't see Conte risking him in such a big game as this when his form is so woeful and his confidence is on the floor. I pray he doesn't play.

Already nervous for this.
Conte said after the game today Bakayoko isn't ready for Barcelona. Not sure if he means due to injury or just not ready due to recent form.

So we basically got three midfielders + Ampadu available i suppose. Do not like the thought of Cesc legs against Barcelona OR Danny Drinkwater playing against them. So i am not sure what we should do to be honest.

Will Ampadu have to be an option? At least he's able to run properly and is good at positioning.

This will be the huge one ... Kinda afraid to be honest. Because this game will reveal how much Mental strengh, grit, determination and focus our team really has... Also this will be the first time we play barça wihtout one of the following players : Cech, Cole (Ashley and or Joe) Terry, Lampard, Drogba. One can deduce from that how immense the task will be on tuesday for our lads. If there's a plan, preventing and cracking down on the Iniesta/Rakitic relationsphip in the MD will probably be the key to this game. They love to attack from the centre... Needless to say Conte will have to be VERY wise in choosing his midfield... Also we'll need to leave as little space as possible in the centre area too. And force them to go wide on the flanks where they seem less convincing. For us, need to take every counter attack and work wonders with them. I am also afraid of this game because our RB and wingmen wil play a prominent part on the final result not only offensively speaking but also defensively. Attacking from the centre will be difficult for us I believe . Let's hope Zappa/Emerson/Moses don't have a day off that night then... 

Hoping SB will be rocking!!! We're going to need this. Also believing that winning this game will lead us to a very nice prize this season ... Although there's still a long way to go!! But defeating Barça and progressing further in the UCL will certainly leave a huge impact on everyone else ... Que sera, sera I guess !! UTC!!!

Edited by Londonisblue