Chelsea V Barcelona (CL) Tues 20th Feb 19:45 UK

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

12 hours ago, enigma said:

I disagree with some of what he says.

In the first part, he analyses the formations in a very regimented manner. Like that Barca's 4 man mid would dominate a 3 man mid. Well, this is not always true. If Giroud and Hazard sit dip, then Busquets drops to the CB's area. Now, in the region that matters - we will have 3v3 (again, it is a too regimented way of looking into things). Barca would dominate the mid because that,'s how they play, train for years and have far better players then us. You think if we play a 5 man mid Barca would not dominate? Do you think Conte doesn't know that?

Secondly, he mentions that Chelsea doesn't press high. Not correct. It is true that in Antonio's system we press much less high the City, For example, but we do press high (and with this system the wing-backs press very high). We have very specific triggers - like a player mistouches the ball, a ball to the flanks etc'. Expect very little press anyway tomorrow.

Also, he mentions that if Hazard covers Busquets then we will have 1v1 on the wings. Well, when Hazard drops back Barca's full-backs are not that high on the pitch. So in the areas in which they would be, no imminent danger is present and as such this is not a problem.
He forgets to mention that when playing 3-4-3, a lot of times both wingers don't defend. Hazard a lot of times, and the other winger sometimes. So in practice, it is essentially like 5-3-2, when the midfield stretches to cover the absent winger. Moreover, in a 3-4-3 the midfield 4 is in one lateral line and there is no cover to the zone behind the midfield and before the CBs (with 5-3-2 the central midfielder does this).

Other than that, he analysed aptly and rightly the problems in defense. I would just like to mention that in Conte's system the CBs are pressuring high and tracking their assigned player very high, into midfield- meaning the player that got into their zone of marking. That requires very good decision making from the CBs and practice to get accustomed and forge better understanding with the other players in defense.

Edited by Alejandro
typo

11 hours ago, Osgood is Good said:

This just rubs salt into the wounds, but the timing of the article might work in our favour, fingers crossed.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/920672/Chelsea-Barcelona-Champions-League-Referee-Apology-Tom-Henning-Ovrebo

I’m still looking for the part where he actually apologised. 

2 hours ago, Blaugrana said:

Hi there,

Barca fan and owner of Barca forum and I come in peace (again) :biggrin: 

12 times we've met already in this century and I watched all those clashes. Some sweet memories like Iniesta winner at Stamford Bridge and some not so great like 2012 exit and, ultimately, pep's last CL match as Barca coach.

I am confident about our chances eventhough there are plenty Barca fans who consider this as first "real test". As if being unbeaten in the league accounts for nothing.

Will we see our boys Pedro and Cesc tomorrow and how will Conte line up? 3-4-3?

Anyways, came here for some friendly banter and to give you heads up if some of you would like to do the same with our bunch over at our forum http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/14764-CL-1-8-Finals-Chelsea-FC-Barcelona

Honestly, cant see us getting anything from the game if any of those 2 start tomorrow. I think Conte will go with a 3-5-2. I personally would go with a 3-5-2 too, but with a midfield of Kante-Luiz-Drinkwater to provide extra cover. Play giroud and Hazard just behind him. 

Not many clubs in world football I detest more than Barca.

Unbeaten against them in 7 and it took the most corrupt official ever for them to knock us out 10 years ago (and that was a draw)

Barcelona are tactically very impressive this season, they haven't scored many CL goals but they've defended brilliantly.

1-1.

Edited by JMaher94

1 hour ago, didierforever said:

Honestly, cant see us getting anything from the game if any of those 2 start tomorrow. I think Conte will go with a 3-5-2. I personally would go with a 3-5-2 too, but with a midfield of Kante-Luiz-Drinkwater to provide extra cover. Play giroud and Hazard just behind him. 

Only 2 attacking players on the pitch :sad:

15 hours ago, ozboy said:

The more I think about this the more, regrettably I don't think it matters who we start. We are going to be cannon fodder. If we can't beat Roma we ain't gunna beat Barcelona.

You may be right but Hopefully  Chelsea will raise their game against Barcelona. Better to go down fighting than to exit the CL with a whimper.

Not looking forward to this one. I'd love to think we'll turn up and put on a classic Barca performance, but this squad is mentally weak and we've been shocking since the turn of the year. Can't help but feel we're going to get beaten comfortably and barely have a shot on target.

Tom Henning Ovrebo gives an interview to Marca 9 years after his dreadful, corrupt performance at Stamford Bridge against Barcelona. Are UEFA thinking of installing another corrupt c*nt to referee on Tuesday night?  We shall see. We all know UEFA love Barcelona. I suspect we will concede a dodgy penalty and be reduced to 10 men. Seems to be about right............

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Cahill

Moses              Emerson
    DD Kante Willian

Giroud Hazard

Think we'll have to go like that. Big call benching Rudiger and Alonso but Cahill almost always steps up in the CL and we need Emersons pace to deal with Messi or Dembele or whatever superstar they'll end up fielding on their right.

Willian to run his socks off until he no longer can to disrupt Barcelonas as much as he can and join up with the two men up front when we get the chance. Giroud over Morata is a no brainer for me. Links up really well with Hazard and have that toughness and grit we'll need to score against Barca. We aren't going to outplay them.

Edited by Sindre

28 minutes ago, TheBluesBrother said:

Tom Henning Ovrebo gives an interview to Marca 9 years after his dreadful, corrupt performance at Stamford Bridge against Barcelona. Are UEFA thinking of installing another corrupt c*nt to referee on Tuesday night?  We shall see. We all know UEFA love Barcelona. I suspect we will concede a dodgy penalty and be reduced to 10 men. Seems to be about right............

17 hours ago, mojo said:

did anyone expected anything else!?

"Cuneyt Cakir will referee the Champions League round-of-16 first leg tie between Chelsea and Barcelona on Tuesday.

Cakir, 41, officiated when Chelsea held Barca to a 2-2 draw in a Champions League semifinal second leg at Camp Nou in 2012 and progressed to the final.

The Turkish official sent off John Terry in the 37th minute of that game for a foul on Alexis Sanchez but Chelsea fought back from two goals down to draw and reach the final 3-2 on aggregate

Cakir was also in charge when Barcelona won the 2015 final against Juventus in Berlin."

41 minutes ago, Sindre said:

Courtois

Azpi Christensen Cahill

Moses              Emerson
    DD Kante Willian

Giroud Hazard

Think we'll have to go like that. Big call benching Rudiger and Alonso but Cahill almost always steps up in the CL and we need Emersons pace to deal with Messi or Dembele or whatever superstar they'll end up fielding on their right.

Willian to run his socks off until he no longer can to disrupt Barcelonas as much as he can and join up with the two men up front when we get the chance. Giroud over Morata is a no brainer for me. Links up really well with Hazard and have that toughness and grit we'll need to score against Barca. We aren't going to outplay them.

I think one should also remember that in big games against strong opponents, Cahill is usually pretty good. Especially against very dominant opponents he tends to be disciplined and excellent at blocks which can be vital against Barca. I remember thinking after last years FA Cup final that he had really kept us in the game a few times and was our strongest defender.

I really can't imagine that Emerson will start after just one game against Hull City a few days ago. In addition Barca tend to play a 4-4-2 diamond, with the right wing mainly covered by Sergi Roberto, and I think Marcos can cope with that. He usually is surprisingly good at defending players who are faster than him. There have been many talks about players' character in recent weeks and he is one of these important characters for us on the pitch, and for some reason also one of our greatest attacking threats.

Edited by Luiz4Chelsea

3 hours ago, didierforever said:

Dropping William for this is almost like giving up before we start, he's in ripe form and our fastest player on the counter, and also one of the hardest working in the team. 

We must use a striker, no false #9, Hazard has to play obviously, so imo we have to play with three forwards, but Willian can act as midfield/forward.

Pedro could be swapped for a knackered Willian later on.

So if we do play 3-5-2 i think we are giving in and sending a message to Barca that we are running scared.

I don't mind the result of this match as along as it's entertaining and we show the doubters that conte and the lads can hang with the elite teams this year after all the negativity.

I think too many are writing us off, so I hope conte is showing the players what has been said to motivate them for this game. On our day we are capable of going head to head with any team. 

4 minutes ago, coco said:

So if we do play 3-5-2 i think we are giving in and sending a message to Barca that we are running scared.

If Willian is on the pitch a 3-4-3 would pretty much turn into a 3-5-2 anyways i think. I do agree that a three of DD - Kante - Cesc would be a disaster waiting to happen though.

So fingers crossed Willian starts. Barcelonas midfield is relativly slow, certainly not quick enough to keep up with Willian if he gets going with the ball so we need to exploit that.

must admit I'm really looking forward to this game we shudnt have anything to fear,,, we are after all the champions of England still,,,,id go with a 3-4-3-  with hopefully  William getting the nod to run at them as I think they are not that quick at the back and can be got at,,,,,, I do think we need to win the home game and keep a clean sheet if we are to have any chance of getting though,,, cant see us getting a thingh back in spain,,,,, cum on Chelsea :drinks: