Jump to content




coco

Barcelona V Chelsea (CL) Wed 14th Mar 19:45 UK


Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, dansubrosa said:

It’s depressing, Barcelona finally beating us by 3 goals even though they didn’t play that well.

I miss the days with Lampard, Drogba etc. We were ready to match anyone in the world.

I know where you're coming from missing Lampard & Drogba, but as I said in my previous post it's fine margins that determines the outcome of games and, for example, the 2012 campaign could have ended very different if we had been punished for one of the two penalties that Drogba gave away (for example again), but we had a let off. Twice. 

As great as Lampard & Drogba were, it's not like we never lost a CL game with them in the team, we suffered years of defeats to Liverpool & Barca, where we just couldn't find a way and luck wasn't on our side. 

So whilst I get missing them, and totally agree I would have wanted them to be playing in their prime on Wednesday,  I think we should remember we had bad games and losses with them in the team as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mclovin83 said:

We weren't crap, and we certainly aren't a laughing stock. Even the media, usually so quick to stick the knife in, gave us kudos and suggested the scoreline flattered Barca. 

Stop being such a drama queen. 

We weren't crap that's for sure, but other than Kante, Willian & Rudiger, we weren't that great either. And as for the media giving us kudos, all I've heard is us getting bashed for believing we were good when the consensus outside the club is that we were far from it. I think Durham on TalkSport went as far as calling us an embarrassment to English football yesterday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, The Brit said:

Don't think talksport hosts can be used as an accurate barometer for how matches went...they're just looking to wind people up so they ring in and give them a show

Just pointing out that we aren't getting the kudos from the media like some are saying. Durham might be at the extreme end of the scale, but it's the jist of what's been said in the media about our lose to Barcelona. We certainly haven't had much, if any praise. Not that we deserve much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Shaggy said:

We weren't crap that's for sure, but other than Kante, Willian & Rudiger, we weren't that great either. And as for the media giving us kudos, all I've heard is us getting bashed for believing we were good when the consensus outside the club is that we were far from it. I think Durham on TalkSport went as far as calling us an embarrassment to English football yesterday!

I don't listen to Talk sport (for good reason), so I will have to take your word on that. 

I was basing my comment on Martin Samuals match report on the mail on line, where he said:

"Chelsea weren't bad here, whatever the scoreline suggests. They were better than Manchester United against Sevilla, certainly not embarrassed"

The live match commentary, as well as the post match analysis in the studio, said similar. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, mclovin83 said:

I don't listen to Talk sport (for good reason), so I will have to take your word on that. 

I was basing my comment on Martin Samuals match report on the mail on line, where he said:

"Chelsea weren't bad here, whatever the scoreline suggests. They were better than Manchester United against Sevilla, certainly not embarrassed"

The live match commentary, as well as the post match analysis in the studio, said similar. 

 

 

Fair enough. First bit of positivity I've seen in the media since the match. Samuals is usually fair with his assessment. Didn't listen to the commentary or the post match studio chat as it's usually a load of guff! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, coco said:

We went to camp nou and had almost double the shots on goal as they did. You can bet Pep and Klopp noticed that stat.

Of course. We have the talent in our squad to give anyone a game, so Spuds and Pool should obviously take notice. However, I do think that part of the reason that we had more of a go at the Nou Camp is that after Barcelona scored, they fell back into a more control set-up, rather than the gung-ho set-up they usually play, knowing we'd have to come at them, leaving them more space for the counter. That's why, even though I was happy with the response we had to going 1 down, I'm not giving us all the credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Old Shaggy said:

We weren't crap that's for sure, but other than Kante, Willian & Rudiger, we weren't that great either. And as for the media giving us kudos, all I've heard is us getting bashed for believing we were good when the consensus outside the club is that we were far from it. I think Durham on TalkSport went as far as calling us an embarrassment to English football yesterday!

No one should should ever, ever, ever use anything said by Durham on talksport to base anything on, ever, anything...... Ever. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mclovin83 said:

I know where you're coming from missing Lampard & Drogba, but as I said in my previous post it's fine margins that determines the outcome of games and, for example, the 2012 campaign could have ended very different if we had been punished for one of the two penalties that Drogba gave away (for example again), but we had a let off. Twice. 

As great as Lampard & Drogba were, it's not like we never lost a CL game with them in the team, we suffered years of defeats to Liverpool & Barca, where we just couldn't find a way and luck wasn't on our side. 

So whilst I get missing them, and totally agree I would have wanted them to be playing in their prime on Wednesday,  I think we should remember we had bad games and losses with them in the team as well. 

This Barca team has nothing on the Barca team we use to match and I felt at the time was the only team who could match them in Europe. I actually think this current Barca team is poor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dkw said:

No one should should ever, ever, ever use anything said by Durham on talksport to base anything on, ever, anything...... Ever. 

Touche. :good2: Durham is a pillock, I know. But I'm not going over old ground again, my point still stands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

This Barca team has nothing on the Barca team we use to match and I felt at the time was the only team who could match them in Europe. I actually think this current Barca team is poor.

You can't call a team with Messi in poor. They are vunerable without the ball, but they make up for it when they have the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coco said:

You can't call a team with Messi in poor. They are vunerable without the ball, but they make up for it when they have the ball.

Messi is one player, you can still call a group of players poor, it's defiantly poor compared to teams of past. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By all accounts, one should not undermine now the possibility of an all spanish final (again ) in the UCL : Barça vs Real is a real possibility. Plus, with Barça facing As Roma and Real facing an ageing Juve that struggled against the bottlers in chief, both teams may already have a foot in the semis. Now City and Bayern might as well have a go at the final too, But I somewhat feel that "luck" might be in favour of the two spanish giants. Then there's also Sevilla haha! As for pool : they'll get battered in the Emptyhiad, no doubt about it! and City will score a lot of goals at Anfailed, so clearly, City are guaranteed a semi final spot before getting defeated by RM's Bus ^^! Bayern might upset Barça ... But the way barça were playing against us in the Nou Camp, they might get through with their deadly counters against Bayern. But that would be a hell of a fight for sure !

Unfortunately, the magic of the UCL will fade big time since we're out ... Sigh !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 18:05, Ernie_blue said:

This Barca team has nothing on the Barca team we use to match and I felt at the time was the only team who could match them in Europe. I actually think this current Barca team is poor.

Whilst I agree this isn't one of the best Barca sides of the last 15 years, it is  ridiculous to call it a poor side. 

They are currently undefeated in La Liga, and 11 points clear at the top of the table.

They are without doubt one of the very best teams in world football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×