Free Transfers

Zeta
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I don't know who's signed new contracts since this list came out, but there are a few players who would be available on a free who could certainly do a job for us in the summer. Especially since the board obviously don't want to spend too much money right now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-out-of-contract-free-agents-players-2018-latest-ozil-sanchez-fellaini-a8133126.html

GK:

Iker Casillas
Joel Robles
Kepa Arrizabalaga

LB:

Luke Shaw

CB:

Giorgio Chiellini
Stefan de Vrij
Neven Subotic
Diego Reyes
Ivan Marcano
Joao Miranda

RB:

Juanfran
Achraf Hakimi
Stephan Lichtsteiner
Rafinha

CM:

Ander Herrera
Jack Wilshere
Emre Can
Marouane Fellaini
Daley Blind
Joao Moutinho
Yaya Toure
Dani Garcia
Kwadwo Asamoah
Zlatko Junuzovic

AM:

Frank Ribery
Ashley Young
Arjen Robben
Hatem Ben Arfa
Ezequiel Lavezzi
Amin Younes
Yohan Cabaye
Carlos Vela
Max Meyer
Bernard
Pedro Leon
Sergio Canales

ST:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Fernando Torres
Andre-Pierre Gignac
Mario Balotelli
Enes Unal
Mark Uth

Edited by Zeta

You could cherry pick players from each of those categories and turn us into CL contenders. We could totally transform, or just freshen ourselves, with barely any transfer fees spent.; and I have absolutely no idea why the club don't do it (obviously not as a long term strategy for the rest of time :face_palm:)

For the set up we have I'd eagerly take - Kepa, Vrij, Asamoah as the 'can play everywhere and do everything' squad player, Ribery, Robben.

Beyond that, simply invest in 1 striker, balanced but technically marvellous midfielders, and simple full backs who are dependable and productive.

Kepa;
Azpilicueta, Christensen, Vrij, Whoever's good going forward(£);
Kante; Whoever's defensively adept, but with incredible passing(£);
Robben/Willian/Hazard/Ribery/Odoi/Musonda (whichever 3);
Morata/Whoever's actually worth the tens of millions we'd get for Courtois.

We'd have a flair team, an attacking team, a dominant team, a shrewd team, a balanced team. Not the finished article - but a foundation in which we could replace a superbly functional Ribery/Hazard/Robben combo - which is just lunacy to not consider when you know how talented those 2 old Bayern guys are. They couldn't play every game, but they wouldn't need to.:chillpillsmile:

Edited by fiel

Cheilinni could be an interesting one, if he's available. I think we need some experience in the back 3. Christensen has got a lot of weight on young shoulders at the moment. If he's to be the next JT, then he needs his Desailly beside him for a year or 2.

5 hours ago, Zeta said:

I don't know who's signed new contracts since this list came out, but there are a few players who would be available on a free who could certainly do a job for us in the summer. Especially since the board obviously don't want to spend too much money right now:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/transfer-news-out-of-contract-free-agents-players-2018-latest-ozil-sanchez-fellaini-a8133126.html

GK:

Iker Casillas
Joel Robles
Kepa Arrizabalaga

LB:

Luke Shaw

CB:

Giorgio Chiellini
Stefan de Vrij
Neven Subotic
Diego Reyes
Ivan Marcano
Joao Miranda

RB:Juanfran
Achraf Hakimi
Stephan Lichtsteiner
Rafinha

CM:

Ander Herrera
Jack Wilshere
Emre Can
Marouane Fellaini
Daley Blind
Joao Moutinho
Yaya Toure
Dani Garcia
Kwadwo Asamoah
Zlatko Junuzovic

AM:

Frank Ribery
Ashley Young
Arjen Robben
Hatem Ben Arfa
Ezequiel Lavezzi
Amin Younes
Yohan Cabaye
Carlos Vela
Max Meyer
Bernard
Pedro Leon
Sergio Canales

ST:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Fernando Torres
Andre-Pierre Gignac
Mario Balotelli
Enes Unal
Mark Uth

I've highlighted in bold who I'd take
Some based on ability
Some not 

We have 16 players that aren't home grown, so if we don't sell any, we can only bring in 2.

I'm not sure i would want us to take any of them. Most of them are finished at the top level, some of the others have barely played this season and some of them just aren't good enough.

18 hours ago, Zeta said:

GK:

None

LB:

Luke Shaw

CB:

Giorgio Chiellini

RB:

Juanfran
Rafinha

CM:

Ander Herrera
Emre Can
Joao Moutinho
Kwadwo Asamoah

AM:
Arjen Robben
Max Meyer
Bernard

ST:

Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Andre-Pierre Gignac

These are the players I would take, with Chiellini, Can and Herrera being my preferred of those

5 minutes ago, Famous CFC said:

Robben would be my top pick. The man is still playing at a high level and showing no signs of deteriorating. 

Really ? he's not performing anywhere near as well as he did in the past. Plus his goalscoring scoring has dried up. 5 goals in 26 appearances this season. We need goals in our team, we can't guarantee we will get it with Robben now, not at his age. I think the guy has been one of the best of his generation, but signing him now, even on a free, would be a waste of time.

Edited by Scott Harris

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Really ? he's not performing anywhere near as well as he did in the past. Plus his goalscoring scoring has dried up. 5 goals in 26 appearances this season. We need goals in our team, we can't guarantee we will get it with Robben now, not at his age. I think the guy has been one of the best of his generation, but signing him now, even on a free, would be a waste of time.

Wouldn't say it would be a waste of time.