Sign in to follow this  
Floyd25

Pick your 2018/19 squad

1 hour ago, Famous CFC said:

The top four as it is now could well be the top four a few years at least. Any of the top players mentioned will consider a Champions League team as the preferred choice rather than a team in the Europa League. City, Liverpool, United and even Spurs are above us in attracting players. Who's going to want to join a team in the Europa League when they can join a top team in the Champions League. Might have to lower our expectations on who we think we can get. 

Oh what absolute nonsense, when has the Premier League ever stayed the same?

I swear all you do is gloat about how good other teams are and rival players while putting down Chelsea at any opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, Old Shaggy said:

Maybe a few of our followers should take heed of the BIB. Our stock is slowly falling away. Our style of football is one of the least attractive in the league, as well as the least effective out of the top 5. We cannot compete financially, for the moment at least. We could be the "also rans" for a while now, so best get used to the idea.

Agree with you pal. We can't compete with our rivals on the field so how will compete with them signing players when they are in the big boy tournament, and we are in the Sunday league tournament. I suppose we have to be realistic don't we. 

6 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I swear all you do is gloat about how good other teams are and rival players while putting down Chelsea at any opportunity. 

Slojo, you take it to the extreme every time. Listen, you can't be flying high every year. Chelsea can't compete with our rivals at the moment due to our situation. The teams in the Champions League next year will be able to attract these top players, we on the other hand will struggle. I can imagine all the top players who are moving club would love to play in Europa League. Come on bro. 

And no I don't slate Chelsea I'm to the point and don't feel the need polish their balls every two minutes to prove I'm a there biggest fan. 

3 minutes ago, Famous CFC said:

Slojo, you take it to the extreme every time. Listen, you can't be flying high every year. Chelsea can't compete with our rivals at the moment due to our situation. The teams in the Champions League next year will be able to attract these top players, we on the other hand will struggle. I can imagine all the top players who are moving club would love to play in Europa League. Come on bro. 

And no I don't slate Chelsea I'm to the point and don't feel the need polish their balls every two minutes to prove I'm a there biggest fan. 

Then why were you overly excited at the prospect of Hazard going to Madrid and playing for them. Saying that it would be beautiful for Hazard to work his magic there.

Yet in a Chelsea shirt you keep putting hazard down and I believe the quote was "Overhyped & overrated" 

I just find it very odd. 

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Never gloat about how other teams do. It's frankly horrible seeing those teams above us doing so well, while playing attractive football. I'm also a realist. We can't be the best team all the time, we have to accept mediocrity along with the success. Liverpool have had to do it recently, Arsenal also have been mediocre for a decade. It may be our time to miss out on the success for a while, so be it. 

Edited by Old Shaggy

4 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Then why were you overly excited at the prospect of Hazard going to Madrid and playing for them. Saying that it would be beautiful for Hazard to work his magic there.

Yet in a Chelsea shirt you keep putting hazard down and I believe the quote was "Overhyped & overrated" 

I just find it very odd. 

I know what I said and stick by it. My sh*t isnt coloured Blue like yours is. 

Well if you over think things you probably will. Proceed. 

Go back 12 months and most on here wanted to strengthen the wing backs,central midfield, right wing and striker. Guess were most want to strengthen at the end of this term? I'd suggest that having spent around 250m in the past year, maybe we should look at replacing who is picking the players who haven't strengthened the first team one jot, before we spunk a similar amount on more dross.

I was critical of the club when they were signing big name players who were already on the downward spiral - the likes of Shevchenko, Deco, Ballack & Torres. It was such a good thing that the policy changed and we were signing the likes of Mata, Oscar, Schurrle and Hazard. But it is getting harder & harder to identify and sign those type of players and I just hope the club are doing all they can to try, rather than go for more uninspiring signings like Drinkwater & Barkley.

The hope will be that one or two more of our Academy players make it through. The ones I have biggest hopes for currently are Ampadu, Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount. It would be so refreshing to have a couple more come through who are already on our books rather than have to fight for the signing with all the other top clubs. Still think we should do all we can to get Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham. You'd think we have a decent relationship with our close neighbours and okay, IF they get promoted they will try and hold onto him but we should be talking to them and sweetening them up with the promise of more good youngsters going there on loan like Piazon who has been doing well of late.

21 minutes ago, CFCholland said:
13 hours ago, Slojo said:
Rudiger is far better on the ball. 

Rudiger is far better on the ball? You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree on that at all. To me he looks incredibly awkward on the ball. His cross field pass that comes off every now and then doesn't change that.

Have to agree with that. I think one of Christensen's biggest strengths is just how good he looks with the ball at his feet. Refreshing to have a defender who doesn't look like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Rudiger at times looks a little awkward and panics (but nowhere near as much as Cahill!).

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Slojo said:

nope. You'd think if Rudiger was better on the ball Conte (a highly paid tactician) would be playing him central as our ball player. Andreas, for a 21, is top notch on the ball. Not to mention his sublime reading of the game. 

Edited by RIP Mourinho

9 hours ago, CFCholland said:
23 hours ago, Slojo said:

Rudiger is far better on the ball? You're entitled to your opinion but I don't agree on that at all. To me he looks incredibly awkward on the ball. His cross field pass that comes off every now and then doesn't change that.

9 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

nope. You'd think if Rudiger was better on the ball Conte (a highly paid tactician) would be playing him central as our ball player. Andreas, for a 21, is top notch on the ball. Not to mention his sublime reading of the game. 

Top notch on the ball but has cost us plenty of mistakes with the ball at his feet.

Watch Rudiger & Christensen in the Barcelona game and tell me who was more confident on the ball and who was making forward runs with the ball at his feet. It's not even about being a central defender, central defenders get more cover, Rudiger looks awkward but he plays perfect passes. I wasn't fussed on Rudiger at the start because when I watched him he looked awkward on the ball, but it doesn't mean anything, it's the way he passes, he's lanky like Matic, he still plays the perfect ball and is good going forward with it. 

9 hours ago, Nibs said:

Have to agree with that. I think one of Christensen's biggest strengths is just how good he looks with the ball at his feet. Refreshing to have a defender who doesn't look like a rabbit caught in the headlights. Rudiger at times looks a little awkward and panics (but nowhere near as much as Cahill!).

There is a difference between looking composed and being composed. 

Sell Cahill, Luiz, Zouma, Kenedy, Moses, Cesc, Loftus Cheek (why have you all choosen him in the squad over Mount?), Pedro, Batshauyi. Loan Baka and hope he does enough to earn a move away for good, although sadly unlike Batshauyi his flaws aren't covered by a semi decent goal rate, Tammy also needs another loan. Out of the younsters i think a lot depends on what tournament we are in next season. Should we be in Europa then that will be the perfect platform for Amps, CHO and especially Mount to make their claim for a first team place, however should we recover top 4 from here i would probably say loan CHO to Vittese and Mase to the Bundesliga. Amps im not sure about. Mount's development has to be treated with serious and i mean serious care, get this one right and we for all intents and purposes have another shot at KDB.

As for signing's, if i get my way with the sales we will need 2 CB's, RWB, CM and maybe an AM. Can't really be arsed to speculate or give names but the wingback and the CM would need to be top draw.

18 hours ago, Nibs said:

I was critical of the club when they were signing big name players who were already on the downward spiral - the likes of Shevchenko, Deco, Ballack & Torres. It was such a good thing that the policy changed and we were signing the likes of Mata, Oscar, Schurrle and Hazard. But it is getting harder & harder to identify and sign those type of players and I just hope the club are doing all they can to try, rather than go for more uninspiring signings like Drinkwater & Barkley.

The hope will be that one or two more of our Academy players make it through. The ones I have biggest hopes for currently are Ampadu, Hudson-Odoi and Mason Mount. It would be so refreshing to have a couple more come through who are already on our books rather than have to fight for the signing with all the other top clubs. Still think we should do all we can to get Ryan Sessegnon from Fulham. You'd think we have a decent relationship with our close neighbours and okay, IF they get promoted they will try and hold onto him but we should be talking to them and sweetening them up with the promise of more good youngsters going there on loan like Piazon who has been doing well of late.

I would like to add Ruben loftus cheek to your list of in house players that can make an impact here. If he can manage to stay injury free, i think he will become a huge player for us

2 hours ago, Argo said:

Sell Cahill, Luiz, Zouma, Kenedy, Moses, Cesc, Loftus Cheek (why have you all choosen him in the squad over Mount?), Pedro, Batshauyi. Loan Baka and hope he does enough to earn a move away for good, although sadly unlike Batshauyi his flaws aren't covered by a semi decent goal rate, Tammy also needs another loan. Out of the younsters i think a lot depends on what tournament we are in next season. Should we be in Europa then that will be the perfect platform for Amps, CHO and especially Mount to make their claim for a first team place, however should we recover top 4 from here i would probably say loan CHO to Vittese and Mase to the Bundesliga. Amps im not sure about. Mount's development has to be treated with serious and i mean serious care, get this one right and we for all intents and purposes have another shot at KDB.

As for signing's, if i get my way with the sales we will need 2 CB's, RWB, CM and maybe an AM. Can't really be arsed to speculate or give names but the wingback and the CM would need to be top draw.

I agree with you on Mount, but why do you want to sell RLC? I think he has huge upside, his technique is immaculate and he is a f**king tank Physically, we just need to make a few tweeks to his game IMO. Also, i want to develop CHO indoors, he is the biggest prospect we ever had at this club, and he NEEDS a chance to prove his worth here, before we send him away to an uncertain loan, and dont forget that he is only 17 years old. Not every prospect has to be sent out on loan, United developed Rashford, why cant we do the same with a 10x more talented player?

8 minutes ago, Lucashm said:

I agree with you on Mount, but why do you want to sell RLC? I think he has huge upside, his technique is immaculate and he is a f**king tank Physically, we just need to make a few tweeks to his game IMO. Also, i want to develop CHO indoors, he is the biggest prospect we ever had at this club, and he NEEDS a chance to prove his worth here, before we send him away to an uncertain loan, and dont forget that he is only 17 years old. Not every prospect has to be sent out on loan, United developed Rashford, why cant we do the same with a 10x more talented player?

I just feel he isn't tactically saavy enough for the level we aspire to. He doesn't make a big enough impact on games (Roy plays him on the wing instead of CM for good reason) plus his stamina issue's/injury phroneness are a big problem with a club that play once a week let alone three times. The idea of him is amazing, but the reality just isn't measuring up and we have heard that with HG younsters all across the country so many times before.

If he was still 18 i would lay back and say give him more time, but he's 22 soon and he hasn't really progressed since his debut during "academy day". I think his value will peak in the summer and we should pounce while the hype is still alive.

On 16/03/2018 at 14:19, Zeta said:

Very few of the [players i'm seeing suggested would have any interest in coming to Chelsea. No CL football probably. Only won 2 knockout games in the CL since 2012. 

Totally agree, we are not big hitters in Europe these days, so players like Drinkwater etc will be the norm when it comes to signings, our only true recognised player worldwide is Hazard and he is definitely not world class what anyone says. World class, are players that perform and influence games on the biggest stage, and Hazard i'm afraid doesn't do that, he tends to freeze, saying that Real Madrid will pay big for him this summer just because they can. People saying Mahrez in the squad are dreaming, he will go to city, utd or dippers. My thoughts this summer are Hazard and Courtois are gone, and Kante will be tough to hold on to. They will be replaced with average  players. We have a ground to pay for remember.

12 hours ago, Argo said:

There is no way we are going to sell 4 homegrown players, especially when 3 of those are first team players.

14 hours ago, Argo said:

Loftus Cheek (why have you all choosen him in the squad over Mount?)

Premier league experience, best player for Palace this season, was Englands best peformer when fit. Has proven that he deserves a chance, I included both in my squad, but Loftus Cheek is more ready at this point. 

12 hours ago, Argo said:

he's 22 soon and he hasn't really progressed since his debut during "academy day". I think his value will peak in the summer and we should pounce while the hype is still alive.

Disagree completely, he looked out of his depth at times for us, ok. But after his move to Palace he gathered consistency and momentum and was comfortably Palace’s best player. On his debut for England he was outstanding and did have a big impact on the game, from the middle of the park. I wouldn’t give up on him just yet, we know how that can go for us. 

13 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Premier league experience, best player for Palace this season, was Englands best peformer when fit. Has proven that he deserves a chance, I included both in my squad, but Loftus Cheek is more ready at this point. 

Palace's best player is hardly a deal sealer (and im not convinced he's even that, even at that level he's not trusted in a two man midfield), if we wanted to sign whoever say Brighton's best player is or Burnley's this site would be full of comments claiming we were in decline and have no ambition anymore just to put it in perspective.  Even in that England match he was great in he slowed down after an hour then looked completely wiped out vs Brazil a few days later.

Mount on the other hand looks more the allround package even now. His passing is excellent and he's got an incredible knack of knowing when the right moments to pass, shoot and retain possession are, and while he will never be a defensive collosal he's actually not bad in that respect (certainly compared to the level you usually associate with his type of player anyway). If hypothetically both got brought into the squad next season and told to fight it out i personally believe Mount would win the battle hands down.