RIP Ray Wilkins

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Been a long time since I was last on here, but felt compelled to come and pay respect to a true Chelsea man. I loved his humility and class when he was with us, always made me feel great when he spoke. 

His passing has reminded people of what a true great of the game he was, but much more importantly is the respect and revere he was held in for just being a good bloke.

An aspiration many could do with adopting.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h'anam

23 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Just shows you that wherever he went he was loved. Not many people can have that effect. 

Indeed. He played for Milan during a fairly humdrum spell for the club (finishing 5th, 7th and 5th in his three seasons there), just prior to the glitzy Berlusconi/Sacchi era really getting going. If it wasn't for Serie A having a two-foreign player limit at the time he may well have ended up sticking around and being a European champion in 88/89, rather than being moved on for the sake of messrs Gullit and Van Basten.

What a sad sad day

I was at white hart lane when he first captained the team in the relegation battle against that lot,I was at the 2 2 game v Plymouth when he scored one of the best goals I have seen and I was gutted when we had to sell him .I think non CFC fans don't realise as a 18 year old how good he really was because he was that good....  RIP Ray and I'm thinking of you and your family at this very sad time

Such a sad day for everybody and my thoughts go out to his family and friends. He was the first quality player I remember seeing break into the first team from the youth set up. He was a glowing light in an average team. I was gutted when he left but didn't resent his decision. A quality player of that type deserved to be playing at a higher level. He proved over the years that he was a Chelsea man but took a bit of stick from the board when they sacked him. He still stayed loyal in his support of the club despite this treatment.

I find it hard to mention his alcoholism at this time but his early death should be a reminder to all that drink is OK in moderation but abuse it and will cut your life short.

RIP Ray.

Nice anecdote about Wilkins from a caller on Talk Sport. 

Try getting through that and still having a dry eye. 

Am too young to have got to see him play but appreciated his time at the club as a coach and always seemed to have positive things to say about the club despite the way we sacked him during Carlo's second season. 

No doubt the fans will pay tribute to him at our next game and the various heart felt tributes from former players and colleagues tell you everything you need to know about what a great bloke he was. 

1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Nice anecdote about Wilkins from a caller on Talk Sport. 

Try getting through that and still having a dry eye. 

Am too young to have got to see him play but appreciated his time at the club as a coach and always seemed to have positive things to say about the club despite the way we sacked him during Carlo's second season. 

No doubt the fans will pay tribute to him at our next game and the various heart felt tributes from former players and colleagues tell you everything you need to know about what a great bloke he was. 

That is brilliant. These tributes are all so heartwarming and must be a massive comfort to his grieving family and friends.

still reeling about this news, but what I am finding surprising is the sympathy that is being displayed from around the Globe for this tragic news - Butch transcended a lot of barriers & was Ray of bright sunlight to all that were touched by him - I liked this tweet I read from Aston Villa's Jack Grealish

BTW, I just discovered that Chelsea have posted a webpage to add consolidances for Butch - Here is a link

Edited by robdog
providing link to club's webpage for leaving condolences to Butch

Was there when he made his debut, foggy memory but think he came on as sub? Couple of games later and the mould was set, never really classed him as a legend until   many years later. All around a nice honest bloke in today’s world of celebrity players. God bless you Butch. 

I remember being at the parade in 2010 after we'd won the double, stood with my lads by the ground as open top bus came out and walked through to el brook common to catch up with bus again, as bus went along new kings road we stood on wall where no one else was, and ray looked  me straight in eye from the bus and said thank you, now I was there to celebrate and say thank you to the team, not my first ever Chelsea hero say thank you to me. Even at 40 odd i was made up with it.

4 hours ago, bluehaze said:

#RayWilkins scoring in a pre-season friendly against a China XI just before joining Man Utd, picture courtesy of #Neil_McDermott. #RIPRayWilkins - I loved the way you walked and strutted around the pitch.

DaA4z1gXkAAjI9B.jpg

Watched this game from the North Stand terrace as the shed was shut that night. Nice to know I was there at his last game.