Greatest Movie Tag-Lines

Guest Brian M
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Guest Brian M

A good tag-line doesn't necessarily have to come from a good movie...so, with that in mind, here are a few eclectic choices to get the ball rolling...

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away..." Star Wars (1977)

"In space no one can hear you scream." Alien (1979)

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...you can't get to it." Blood Beach (1981)

"They're here..." Poltergeist (1982)

"Man is the warmest place to hide." The Thing (1982)

"Be afraid. Be very afraid." The Fly (1986)

"Sometimes dead is better." Pet Cemetery (1989)

"An Adventure 65 Million Years In The Making." Jurassic Park (1993)

"From zero to hero." The Mask (1994)

"One wrong turn deserves another." Changing Lanes (2002)

"Great trilogies come in threes." Scary Movie 3 (2003)

I was discussing this subject with some girlfriends the other day and we all agreed - All this remembering lines/scenes, etc from films is such a bloke thing. I don't know one woman who could quote the lines from films and have the sheer knowledge about the ("irrelevent") minutiae about films in the way you blokes do. I wonder what the psychological reasons for it are? Any suggestions. I do have some theories but I'd be interested to hear your points of view.

Guest Brian M
I wonder what the psychological reasons for it are? Any suggestions. I do have some theories but I'd be interested to hear your points of view.

You tell us why girls insist on going to the bathroom together, and we'll tell you why guys quote film lines... icon_wink.gif

I wouldn't be so sure about women not knowing loads of irrelevant trivia. I've come across a fair share of women who can recite plot twists from certain television soap operas with frightening accuracy(well, I couldn't know for sure if they were making it up or if they really remembered it all since I don't watch soap operas, though)...I mean stuff like who has been with who, who knows about some secret relationship, who is blackmailing who because of a mistress, who has been cheating who and who knows about it and so on... icon_wink.gif

I apologize in advance for shameless use of my second favourite website, wikipedia, to get these...

Alien vs. Predator - No Matter Who Wins, We Lose.

Army of Darkness - Trapped in Time. Surrounded by Evil. Low on Gas.

Bride of Chucky - Chucky Gets Lucky.

Dr. No - Now.... meet the most extraordinary gentleman spy in all fiction....JAMES BOND, Agent 007!

The Elephant Man - I am not an animal! I am a human being! I...am...a man!

House - Ding dong, you're dead.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - There can be no triumph without loss. No victory without suffering. No freedom without sacrifice

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome - Two men enter. One man leaves.

Poltergeist - They're here...

Scary Movie - No Shame. No Mercy. No Sequel

Scary Movie 2 - We lied.

V for Vendetta - People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Shaun of the dead - A romantic comedy. With zombies.

Hot Fuzz - Big Cops. Small Town. Moderate Violence.

Das Boot (one of my favourite movies) - The other side of the Battle of the Atlantic.

The Full Monty - Six men. With nothing to lose. Who dare to go....

Calendar Girls - They dropped everything for a good cause.

The History Boys - History. It's just one bloody thing after another.

A few of the ones I like are

The Graduate - "This is Benjamin. He's a little worried about his future."

Easy Rider - "A man went looking for America and couldn't find it anywhere!"

Deliverance - "This is the weekend they didn't play golf."

Jaws 2 - "Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water."

Octopussy - "Nobody Does Him Better"

Chcken Run - "Escape or Die Frying."

Snatch was very good as well. Revolver on the other hand. icon_confused.gif

Maybe. Snatch seemed to me to be basicaly the same as Smoking Barrels (I don't have the energy to write the entire name) but with another plot. Smoking Barrels was something new and exciting and it also has a great plot and script (many nice quotes can be picked from that movie). But Snatch felt like "been there, done that" and lacked some of the things Smoking Barrels had.

One thing I have to say in Snatch's favour however, is that it had Brad Pitt speaking...whatever he spoke. icon_lol.gif