coco

FA Cup Final 2018 Chelsea V Man Utd Sat 19th May 17:15 UK

Getting all tearful seeing those pictures of Drogba.

Oh how we need a decent centre forward now, and some midfielders, and some bollocks...

odds on Bakajoko starts at Wembley...

After today's abject performance- surely the worst preparation for a cup final in recent memory- I'm fearful about next weekend. We may not get stuffed  but we will probably struggle to play with any heart. 

I was really hoping the Conte would get the stairwell treatment yesterday and we'd at least go into the cup final with a chance of picking our best available eleven and playing with some attempt at style. But I guess it's just a case of hoping that Conte's random team selector machine throws up something reasonably sensible and that his negative sit back and have one attempt in 90 minutes tactics pays off for once.

The only thing I am confident about is that it won't be 'one for the neutral'.

Posted (edited)

It's going to be a dreadful match, so the neutral will switch the telly off, if they  have switched it on in the first place :biggrin:

Edited by Valerie

The only thing giving me any confidence for this game is that we usually perform better when we are written off and everyone is expecting us to get beaten. 

Smart money would be on Manchester United though, no doubt. 

We do seem to raise our game for United in the last couple of seasons, bar the second half at OT this season, but it is just quite hard to imagine us winning given all the circumstances. 

Come on Chelsea, one game to salvage something from the season!

United will be favourites. 

We've just got to hope our lads turn up on the day because I do think we've got enough quality to win this one. As long as we don't get overrun in the middle we'll give them a good game. 

2-1 Chelsea 

First of, nobody knows if its going to be a turkey until match day when it kicks off, so less of the pessimism please, its a cup final FFS and CFC is in it vs Man U

Secondly, I may be a bit biased as I'm going, flight tomorrow night with a brief stop over in Dublin to see The Stones on Thursday night, then The Green Man on Saturday afternoon followed by Wembley, 2 years in a row so don't want to be leaving the stadium first this year despite our 2 bob manager and under performing players !!

Come on Chelsea !!!

27 minutes ago, General said:

First of, nobody knows if its going to be a turkey until match day when it kicks off, so less of the pessimism please, its a cup final FFS and CFC is in it vs Man U

Secondly, I may be a bit biased as I'm going, flight tomorrow night with a brief stop over in Dublin to see The Stones on Thursday night, then The Green Man on Saturday afternoon followed by Wembley, 2 years in a row so don't want to be leaving the stadium first this year despite our 2 bob manager and under performing players !!

Come on Chelsea !!!

We've got the torch, not the green man unfortunately

naturally enough I was really down about this last night but I'm now thinking we've a chance that the occasion might lift our guys, it's Wembley, Cup final day, a bit of pomp and ceremony to make it feel different, they might just start to think that it would be nice to have a winners medal.

so hard to tell if there's any real team-spirit in the squad because they look so flat at times but they've only one last chance to work together to achieve something worthwhile this year and for some (possibly many) they'll know this might be their last chance to win a major final.   

There are two ways to approach this game.

1) Because our season has been one disaster after the next down to the smallest details, you expect one final kick in the teeth just to round if off.

Or

2) After going through such a terrible season, this is the time where you believe that something will finally fall into place for us and we end up with something to celebrate.

I really hope the 2nd one comes true, but i have never gone into a final feeling so deflated. I wouldn't go as far as to say that i'm not looking forward to it (it's a cup final, all fans want to see their club in cup finals) but it's very hard not to feel pessimistic right now.

Hoping for a win. Because in ten years time, the only thing we'll remember from that ****** season, is whether we won our 8th Fa cup or not. So we'd better win it !!!! UTC !!!!!

I was hoping that we might start with Hazard, Morata, Giroud and Willian up front and play a 4-2-4...just for something different ....but I guess we'll stick with the same old sh*te.....I'm almost convinced non of the players are bothered anyway given the dross over the last few weeks.   

9 hours ago, CFCCAN said:

I was hoping that we might start with Hazard, Morata, Giroud and Willian up front and play a 4-2-4...just for something different ....but I guess we'll stick with the same old sh*te.....I'm almost convinced non of the players are bothered anyway given the dross over the last few weeks.   

They have given that impression but we can only hope that the FA Cup still means enough for everyone to up their game.

I know it's not the competition it once was. It's the time of year where older f**kers like me have conversations about remembering FA Cups from years gone by. The whole experience - flicking over from BBC to ITV and then back again depending on what they were showing in the build-up. Saw a post on the Vintage thread showing photos of a street in 1970 - with banners wishing Chelsea good luck. That's what it was all about and sadly, it's now nothing like what it was (although no doubt it would be if some lower league clubs and their supporters make the final again at some point). But the players will no doubt have got tickets for family and friends at Wembley so we can only hope they won't want to disappoint and lets hope we make it a Final to remember for all the good reasons.

I think I may have posted this before but this Final against Man Utd reminds me of 1994. I was in Ibiza and I had to get a South American bar to make sure that the FA Cup Final was shown via the satellite set up, which they duly did. I watched the match with several Gooner mates of mine and Chelsea got smashed 4-0. It took me a week to recover from that. I was  absolutely gutted. Our opponents in 1994 were Man Utd. Will Conte leave Chelsea on a winning note or will he continue his atrocious record in Cup competitions? Will he be here next season? Who knows because everything is up in the air at the moment. I hope he goes and the board set about signing a top manager to replace him. One with attacking prowess and better man management skills. We also need to rebuild our squad. It looks pathetic against the likes of Man City. Can we win Saturday? Of course anything is possible but judging by the season we have had, I very much doubt it.

8 minutes ago, Nibs said:

They have given that impression but we can only hope that the FA Cup still means enough for everyone to up their game.

I know it's not the competition it once was. It's the time of year where older f**kers like me have conversations about remembering FA Cups from years gone by. The whole experience - flicking over from BBC to ITV and then back again depending on what they were showing in the build-up. Saw a post on the Vintage thread showing photos of a street in 1970 - with banners wishing Chelsea good luck. That's what it was all about and sadly, it's now nothing like what it was (although no doubt it would be if some lower league clubs and their supporters make the final again at some point). But the players will no doubt have got tickets for family and friends at Wembley so we can only hope they won't want to disappoint and lets hope we make it a Final to remember for all the good reasons.

But you would have thought that last season in the FA Cup Final against Arsenal and we lost. We lost to a crap Arsenal side too.