erskblue

Laurel and Hardy. Comedy Gold.

Laurel and Hardy clip from 'Bonnie Scotland'

I've always enjoyed their comedy, since I was a kid.

It's timeless.

Watched this clip above recently and wasn't sure, exactly where to place it on the forum. So decided to start a new thread.

Hope nobody minds. Sure there must be others who enjoy their comedy.

@erskblueThanks for posting. Like you, I enjoy their comedy. To me, Laurel and Hardy are geniuses and an inspiration to modern comics. One of my favourite Laurel and Hardy films is the Magic Box which is about delivering a piano. One of the funniest films I've ever watched.

James Finyalson, one of the actors who appeared in a number of their films had a catch-phrase of dohhhh. That was the inspiration for one of the quotes of Homer of the Simpsons.

Never really liked Laurel and Hardy yet you chaps posting this reminded me of another program that was shown about the same time as H &L, this was Harold Lloyd the Houdini type character in the silent clips.

As a kid I found these fascinating not quite the same as an adult.

The first I found on youtube

Fantastic stuff.

Grew up on Laurel and Hardy. The Music Box won an Oscar for best short.

My personal faves are Busy Bodies, Men of War, and Sons of the Desert.

Ps I saw a documentary on them recently. In his later life Stan Laurel had his number in the telephone directory. He would pick up the phone to strangers and have a chat.

One person who rung him up out of the blue was Jerry Lewis; they became good friends as a result.

3 hours ago, erskblue said:

I remember that song, " The Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia " re released when a kid, back in 1975.

Kept off the top spot by Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Not a bad song to be second to.

28 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Kept off the top spot by Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody. Not a bad song to be second to.

True. And to think that the classic Ultravox song 'Vienna' was kept off No1 by 'Shaddup You Face' in early ish 1981 !

8 minutes ago, erskblue said:

True. And to think that the classic Ultravox song 'Vienna' was kept off No1 by 'Shaddup You Face' in early ish 1981 !

Indeed. Some great songs have been kept from the number one stop because of some dodgy records. 

5 hours ago, Boyne said:

Indeed. Some great songs have been kept from the number one stop because of some dodgy records. 

I still can't quite believe that song  kept Vienna off No 1 in early 1981.:slap_face:

Mind you, you think I would have got over it by now, what 37.5 years on !

Is it really that long !!:ohmy:

21 hours ago, erskblue said:

I still can't quite believe that song  kept Vienna off No 1 in early 1981.:slap_face:

Mind you, you think I would have got over it by now, what 37.5 years on !

Is it really that long !!:ohmy:

Yes, where have all the years gone. Reminds me of all the parties I went to in the early eighties. I'm still in touch with a lot of people I went to those parties with. Every so often we look at photos from those days to see how much we've changed.

A couple of L&H classics:

Laurel and Hardy - The Battle of the Century (1927) - The Pie Fight  

Directed by Clyde Bruckman, produced by Hal Roach (1927)

The film involved over 3,000 cream pies; its second reel was missing for decades until its rediscovery in 2015.