Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

47 minutes ago, Xfaxtor said:

Wonder were that leaves Kanté, both players prefer to play as a #6 but in completely different ways. Maybe as a #8 in a 3 man midfield. Pretty sure the two man pivot is dead for now 

Jorginho will maybe play a bit further up the field. That's only what I think though, based on pretty much nothing but a gut feeling haha. Will be interesting to see how Sarri sets the team up. 

Couldn't have made a better signing with sarri coming in. A real statement if intent. It's been a messy couple of months, and obviously the delay isn't ideal, however credit where credit is due, we pulled a blinder with jorginho. 

Hopefully the doom and gloom will lift now and we can look forward to the start of the season.

6 minutes ago, the special one said:

I am too don't get me wrong, I'm just not convinced he has the physicality to handle the Premier League.

That's a myth. Same thing was said about players like Mata, KDB, Silva, even Salah. You don't have to be physical if you're technical enough to beat the opposition before they run into you.

7 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

That's a myth. Same thing was said about players like Mata, KDB, Silva, even Salah. You don't have to be physical if you're technical enough to beat the opposition before they run into you.

yeah think the whole physicality issue with the league is blown out of proportion. it's a competitive league and is quite physical, but a lot of teams are veering towards a better, more technical style of play. just look at west ham, wolves, fulham, all will be good football playing teams next season. the PL is changing, and changing for the better imo. 

Edited by enigma

27 minutes ago, enigma said:

Things are going too well right now. I am somewhat wary at the moment. As long as we keep Kante and Hazard, I will be ecstatic. Hopefully Sarri and Jorginho have made some of our top players reconsider their future plans, with us of course ha. 

There's already reports surfacing that Barca have Kante as their main summer target.

1 minute ago, just said:

There's already reports surfacing that Barca have Kante as their main summer target.

Don't think we're stupid enough to let him go. He has 3 years left on his contract, right? I think the reason we're being a bit more financially free is because the Stadium situation not happening, but also having the CL money from last season. 

Edited by enigma

Just now, just said:

Matt Law says there's no truth to it.

And even if there was, it's never going to happen. I've seen a silly report about them offering Andre Gomes plus money. Yeah I'd quite like to offer Drinkwater plus some change to them in exchange for Messi as well.

Kante has 3 years on his contract. Kante is happy and this has been confirmed by his agent fairly recently. Kante isn't known to kick up a fuss either. He's going to get a new contract soon and that'll be the end of it.

1 minute ago, enigma said:

Don't think we're stupid enough to let him go. He has 3 years left on his contract, right? I think the reason we're being a bit more financially free is because the Stadium situation not happening, but also having the CL money from last season. 

Also, selling the likes of Willian and possibly Drinkwater might give us even more money to work with.

Guest Sindre
21 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Been given the number 5 shirt, looks like Barkley is staying then. 

As of right now he's probably our most suited player for Sarri's Hamsik-role.
Jorginho continues where he left off obviously, Kante takes Allans position but we don't have equal quality for the Hamsik-role as of right now. Might be Golovin thats meant to fill that role eventually though.

4 minutes ago, Sindre said:

As of right now he's probably our most suited player for Sarri's Hamsik-role.
Jorginho continues where he left off obviously, Kante takes Allans position but we don't have equal quality for the Hamsik-role as of right now. Might be Golovin thats meant to fill that role eventually though.

Sarri has transformed Koulibaly, who was a clumsy lump of sh*te, turned him into one of the finest defenders around.

Maybe Sarri could have the same effect on Bakayoko.

1 hour ago, the special one said:

I am too don't get me wrong, I'm just not convinced he has the physicality to handle the Premier League.

One would hope that Kante would shield him effectively from any aggressive midfielders, probably playing just ahead of him in a 4-3-3, in a ball-winning box-to-box style. Kante could then just pass the ball to Jorginho and kick off a counter with his very good long passes. 

On Jorginho, for him to be compared with Alonso and Pirlo, he should improve his long passing. It is very good, but not world-class like those two.

He's not as weak as Pirlo was at the same age, but I agree that he should bulk up a bit because the PL is so physical. 

His vision is very good, IMO almost as good as Alonso's was, though not peerless like Pirlo's. 

The best part is that I would expect him to develop a greater defensive positional understanding as time goes on, since he can't use any pace or strength to best attackers as much. (His defensive abilities are actually OK - his tackling and positioning are decent.)

Edited by DaRick

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

Question now is who will be the 3rd midfielder as Sarri likes to play 3 in midfield.

long shot but hopefully Ross Barkley has had enough time to get fully fit and play a part in that role. would personally rather see him and Ruben be given the chance there instead of signing someone like Golovin. regardless, very happy with the prospect of a Kante, Jorginho midfield 

As soon as City became interested in him I thought there was literally no hope of completing this signing.

This could well be our best signing since Kante, these last few years he's been one of the best DLP in European football and key to the way Napoli play, everything goes through him. I wouldn't worry about him not being able to handle the physicality of the league, Fabregas and others have coped just fine

Some numbers from last season from Jorginho

33 games
3,197 passes
89.5% pass accuracy
62 tackles won
50 interceptions
49 chances created
4 assists
2 goals

Those are some insane numbers.

I had lost a bit of faith in the board recently in regards to our ability to sign top players but they've done extremely well to sign this guy. 

We already had the best box to box midfielder in the League in Kante, we now have the best DLP in the League in Jorginho

Add RLC or Golovin in the last midfield spot and we would then have a truly excellent midfield and one that could compete against Europe's best