Jorginho is.... (well now was) a Blue

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, opinionsarelike said:

The way Jorginho plays is almost entirely down to his starting position on the field, though. When he's the sitting midfield player, he can drop deep and recycle possession when needed, or turn (without a huge risk of losing the ball) and start play. When the ball is passed back to him, he sees the whole pitch and can ping those one-touch passes, which he's close to best in the world at. Kante is a good player with the ball, but he's not even close to having Jorginho's thought of mind and silkiness on the ball.

I think that our defensive woes today is more down to our lines getting too far apart, and everyone getting sucked in towards goal, rather than having Jorginho as our deepest midfield player. Sure, Kante is the best at sweeping in front of the defence, but you'll lose the heart beat and brain of the team if you put him there over Jorginho.

But as fantastic as Jorginho is with the ball, and he is fantastic, if we play him as the deepest lying midfielder we have no screen for our defence and i can see us conceding 2-3 goals regularly.

34 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

But as fantastic as Jorginho is with the ball, and he is fantastic, if we play him as the deepest lying midfielder we have no screen for our defence and i can see us conceding 2-3 goals regularly.

You realise Kante doesn’t have a defined position because he’s absolutely everywhere at all times right?

Jorginho is clearly very talented and has a great passing range, makes things tick in this system. Having watched the highlights, however, his defensive input is 0. Very slow to go back in the middle, there is no urgency at all to track back or at least go back to a middle position and make it a bit more difficult for the opposition. Hopefully, the defensive side will be rectified soon, otherwise i see us conceding many goals similarly to yesterday's game. 

The problem is not the defensive phase of Jorginho but the distances between the departments. The squad must always press very high and to stay very short.  When the squad misses the right distances suffers, as Napoli suffered , it's a natural thing in this game system.  Napoli has been for three years the team that suffered less shots in the goal in Italy, it's only matter of time, to improve the movements, to stay always short and to find the right time of pressing . 

Edited by Master&Commander

1 minute ago, Master&Commander said:

The problem is not the defensive phase of Jorginho but the distances between the departments. The squad must always press very high and to stay very short.  When the squad misses the right distances suffers, as Napoli suffered , it's a natural thing in this game system.  Napoli has been for three years the team that suffered less shots in the goal in Italy, it's only matter of time, to improve the movements, to stay always short and to find the right time of pressing . 

Sarri himself said this yesterday, the space between the defe3and midfield was too big, our defenders natural decision is to drop deep, this is how we've played for years now. It will take quite some time to get this into our defenders. 

Robson says Jorginho doesn’t get many assists so isn’t contributing much. 

Look at our opening goal against Arsenal, he splits their team wide open with a 40 yard through ball to Alonso who then sets up Pedro. 

Jorginho doesn’t get an assist but without him the goal doesn’t happen.

And that’s the problem when you try to boil a players worth down to stats. 

The comment about him being the 9th pick of the Napoli team reminds me of when Real sold Makelele because he didn’t get goals or assists or make fancy passes... everyone who played with him rated him though. No doubt Robson would have said he was the 9th pick of that Madrid side too... 

4 minutes ago, theone said:

why do people care about one random guy's opinion. as long Jorginho,s keeps playing like this i am happy 

He’s just emblematic of pundits you can’t understand are paid to give their opinions. In the face of overwhelming evidence suggesting otherwise they double down on awful opinions and get to keep appearing on widely broadcast networks. 

2 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He’s just emblematic of pundits you can’t understand are paid to give their opinions. In the face of overwhelming evidence suggesting otherwise they double down on awful opinions and get to keep appearing on widely broadcast networks. 

you haven't watched american sports commentators, more than 95% of theses people don't even watch the game. they have nothing to lose. there is no accountability ,they get paid to be entertaining and that's what he's doing same goes for sports journalism in  general 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9w_XUQyJJQ

this is one of my favorite videos about this 

On 19/08/2018 at 09:46, Gentian said:

Jorginho is clearly very talented and has a great passing range, makes things tick in this system. Having watched the highlights, however, his defensive input is 0. Very slow to go back in the middle, there is no urgency at all to track back or at least go back to a middle position and make it a bit more difficult for the opposition. Hopefully, the defensive side will be rectified soon, otherwise i see us conceding many goals similarly to yesterday's game. 

hes more suited as a deep lying playmaker than a defensive midfielder, kind of like Pirlo in a way

Think he’s going to be special. He was talking to the other players during the game like he was the captain. The one thing I will wait to see is if Kante not being central of the three us a problem. Don’t think Jorginho’s positioning with the crosses being cut back by Bellerin was great, think Kante would have dealt with them better.

We do have a problem on the horizon i think. Jorginho is the pivot to all things that are good about our forward movement. He is always available for recycling and has the ability to pop the ball off over 360 degrees under pressure, a rare commodity. However, he can't defend for toffee and has absolutely no pace. Our destroyer is Kante of course, but he has now been moved to the more forward right sided midfield position. Howver Kante's (only) shortcoming is that he is not that good in front of goal. Therefore the problem that we have is tyhat we can't just have Kante hanging around on Def midfield just to break the play up and moving Jorginho out of that pivotting position goes against the foundation of Sarri's tactics.

Whilst Kante does seem to have superhuman powers, this surely relates to his energy levels and stamina and his canny knack of constantly breaking up play around him. Even Kante is human and cannot backtrack sixty yards into a defensive positon whenever we are subjected to a transitioning counter attack.

I don't know what the answer is because i really love our style of play already and Jorginho is so central to that. But just the thought of Kante falling out of favour in this new system physically makes me gag and brings a little bit of sick into my mouth.

Whilst Kante does seem to have superhuman powers, this surely relates to his energy levels and stamina and his canny knack of constantly breaking up play around him. Even Kante is human and cannot backtrack sixty yards into a defensive positon whenever we are subjected to a transitioning counter attack.

I don't know what the answer is because i really love our style of play already and Jorginho is so central to that. But just the thought of Kante falling out of favour in this new system physically makes me gag and brings a little bit of sick into my mouth.

Jorginho came into the team playing the same thing he did in Napoli while Kante needs to adapt his gameplay and strenghts now since his role is different so he can't read the game in the same way as he did before and suddenly he looks a bit more out of position and not as effective...Maybe the answer is that the team in general needs more time.

49 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

We do have a problem on the horizon i think. Jorginho is the pivot to all things that are good about our forward movement. He is always available for recycling and has the ability to pop the ball off over 360 degrees under pressure, a rare commodity. However, he can't defend for toffee and has absolutely no pace. Our destroyer is Kante of course, but he has now been moved to the more forward right sided midfield position. Howver Kante's (only) shortcoming is that he is not that good in front of goal. Therefore the problem that we have is tyhat we can't just have Kante hanging around on Def midfield just to break the play up and moving Jorginho out of that pivotting position goes against the foundation of Sarri's tactics.

Maybe the answer is just having a little patience for kante to adapt to his new position and Jorginho to adapt to a new country. 

Kante very rarely sat in front of our defence in the way makelele did. At Leicester and in our title winning season, he was more box to box than a holding midfielder, with drinkwater and matic both playing deeper. Now he has more freedom to press, he doesn't have to dictate the tempo, and he has got licence to make attacking runs. The timing of his runs so far has been fantastic, much better than Barkley on the other side. I actually think kante will reach new heights in this system, and he will become the complete midfielder.

Considering Jorginho can't defend for toffee, napoli were very strong defensively under sarri, and reina faced the least shots in the league last season. The premier league is obviously a different beast, but I'm sure jorginho can and will adapt, and when we start to attack and defend as a team, in the manner that sarri wants, Jorginho will not be exposed like he was for 20 minutes against arsenal.

Patience? What a ridiculous suggestion :wink: Don't you know that we need to buy a replacement for Kante in January and Jorginho is even more static than Mikel? Sarri obviously doesn't know a thing.

Anyway,  we know it takes time to let new players ans a new manager settle in, to get a squad used to playing a different way, and still people start wanting to change things already and speculating which players to buy in January. Two matches in ffs.

I have started to prepare a thesis on this failure of the mid-field to gel successfully and ,oh, yawn, boredom, swipe one way, shiny thing, shiny thing, ennui, um, ahh, ooh, celebrity pig-farming on catch-up, is it on my phone, is it on twatter, why isn't it on Insta, did @zabaglione confirm this, what does my favourite internet webstats site tell me I should think, sorry, what were we talking about?

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

I have started to prepare a thesis on this failure of the mid-field to gel successfully and ,oh, yawn, boredom, swipe one way, shiny thing, shiny thing, ennui, um, ahh, ooh, celebrity pig-farming on catch-up, is it on my phone, is it on twatter, why isn't it on Insta, did @zabaglione confirm this, what does my favourite internet webstats site tell me I should think, sorry, what were we talking about?

Pigfarming, I think :pig:

#SarriOut #Kanteisntgoodenough #jorghinowasteofmoney

Patience? What a ridiculous suggestion :wink: Don't you know that we need to buy a replacement for Kante in January and Jorginho is even more static than Mikel? Sarri obviously doesn't know a thing.
Anyway,  we know it takes time to let new players ans a new manager settle in, to get a squad used to playing a different way, and still people start wanting to change things already and speculating which players to buy in January. Two matches in ffs.