Xfaxtor

Mateo Kovacic

If there is no option to buy, I would look elsewhere. If he has a great season, madrid will keep him, and we will have a massive hole to fill. 

Hopefully there is an option around £60m, so if he does well, we can make the move permanent. 

It would be strange for a club of our size to take a value player on loan with no option to buy. 

“Source tells me @realmadrid offer to loan midfielder Mateo Kovacic to @ChelseaFC to persuade them to sell Thibaut Courtois.” Jim White 

Clearly a sweetener by Real. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

So Real Madrid get Tibo and we get the opportunity to develop one of their players and return him to them, what are we, their Vitesse? No buy option, no thanks.  

We won't be signing him to develop him for Madrid, we're be signing him to help our team right now.

Edited by Argo

5 minutes ago, Xfaxtor said:

Why not?

whats the point of getting him then at least with option to buy we are using the money saved this season to buy other targets 

we have little leverage this season with Courtois. next season we won't have any and he will cost a lot more

I agree it doesn't sound practical without an option to buy at the end of the loan. Otherwise it is really a big win for Real Madrid. They cannot currently give him the playing time he is looking for. So we could provide that allowing him to develop his game before he returns to Madrid.

13 minutes ago, theone said:

whats the point of getting him then at least with option to buy we are using the money saved this season to buy other targets 

we have little leverage this season with Courtois. next season we won't have any and he will cost a lot more

The point of getting him is to improve our team. It would be better if we could buy him, sure. But I cant really see how this is a bad thing regardless

40 minutes ago, forbzy said:

I agree it doesn't sound practical without an option to buy at the end of the loan. Otherwise it is really a big win for Real Madrid. They cannot currently give him the playing time he is looking for. So we could provide that allowing him to develop his game before he returns to Madrid.

Think it’s more likely we buy him at the end of his loan deal, don’t Madrid already have Spanish players Llorente & Ceballos competing with him?

I would take Kovacic happily, he is a very good footballer but without scoring ability. We will be very creative with Jorginho and Kovacic, but we're lacking in our attack. Hazard is our best scoring option...

“Chelsea had budgeted for trying to sign a midfielder and a new goalkeeper in the remaining days of the transfer window, so the chance to get Kovacic without paying a fee appears to have freed cash to spend on Kepa”. - Matt Law

59 minutes ago, JM7 said:

“Chelsea had budgeted for trying to sign a midfielder and a new goalkeeper in the remaining days of the transfer window, so the chance to get Kovacic without paying a fee appears to have freed cash to spend on Kepa”. - Matt Law

Looks like no Fekir move then.

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't doubt his ability, i'm just concerned about the lack of goals and assists from midfield. I wouldn't be against him coming here though, just not as excited as others, because i don't think he will give us anything we don't already have in the starting 11. He would probably play the more advanced role of the 3 midfielders, i guess we just need to hope he can be good from that position.

No teams have goalscorers from midfield. It's warped view we have as fans because we had Lampard for most seasons. You don't usually expect many goals from your midfielders.

Shame there looks to be no clause to buy at the end.  He's a good player for sure. Great dribbler and has played in the biggest matches.

Although I am worried we now look a bit light on in midfield.

But we don't have a reliable striker or a really prolific goalscoring winger though, so we'd really need one. Also if you look at our rivals, City have Silva and KDB, Utd have Pogba and Lingard (as number 10), Arsenal have Ramsey, so there's plenty of teams with more goal threat from midfield than us.

7 hours ago, theone said:

It wouldn't be that bad to just loan him for a year if he can become a key midfield player with Kante and Jorginho.

After the loan he goes back to Real and by that time Loftus-Cheek,Ampadu and others would be 1 year older and ready to take on a more important role in the club.

If only Barkley proved to be world class this season maybe we don't really need Kovacic, though I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

Overall Kovacic is a good player but he has been on the bench for so long and never had an important role in the starting lineup, it reminds of Morata a lot.