Mateo Kovačić

Guest Sindre
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

We've got plenty of games to play, from now until the end of the season so, at the pace and tempo that Sarri demands, Kovacic and Barkley will get plenty of game time. Kante is a machine, but he will also need a rest at some point. Now if we can sort our defensive side out.....

9 minutes ago, old git said:

We've got plenty of games to play, from now until the end of the season so, at the pace and tempo that Sarri demands, Kovacic and Barkley will get plenty of game time. Kante is a machine, but he will also need a rest at some point. Now if we can sort our defensive side out.....

Azpi and Alonso just need a bit more time to settle into their newish positions after playing the last 2 seasons as a CB and WB respectively. Id much prefer us to have Rudiger and Christensen starting as I believe they can form one hell of a duo. Luiz shouldn't be a starter as a CB, but instead play deep in MF where she shines the most

3 minutes ago, JJP said:

Azpi and Alonso just need a bit more time to settle into their newish positions after playing the last 2 seasons as a CB and WB respectively. Id much prefer us to have Rudiger and Christensen starting as I believe they can form one hell of a duo. Luiz shouldn't be a starter as a CB, but instead play deep in MF where she shines the most

"She?" it must be those long, curly locks. Remember the time last season, when Luiz played in midfield and everybody was singing his praises? I agree that's where he should be, but only if Jorginho get's injured or needs a rest.

1 hour ago, old git said:

"She?" it must be those long, curly locks. Remember the time last season, when Luiz played in midfield and everybody was singing his praises? I agree that's where he should be, but only if Jorginho get's injured or needs a rest.

Obviously meant "he" lol. But yeah, Luiz should be a backup for Jorginho in MF and also a backup CB. Thats his ideal role if you ask me

6 minutes ago, Xfaxtor said:

2018 and people are still sughesting Luiz should play in midfield. Thought the myth that he could actually perform that role was long gone

When he played there occasionally under Rafa and for Mourinho in the big games he was decent because he was younger and actually had reasonable mobility. His passing is good and would be a benefit but he's just too slow in turning now and we'd be caught on the ball constantly

Slightly disappointing as he seemed to be playing within himself and didn't take too many chances, however, there's a bomb under this bloke and, when it explodes, they'll be no stopping him. Yedlin is a very fast, but Kovacic went with him before fouling him. That was impressive. He did tire badly towards the end, though.

I didn't like him too much either. He was good defensively, I'll give him that, but I think we need an attacking threat next to Kante and Jorginho and he just isn't that. He doesn't take enough risks, doesn't get into good attacking positions. I'm fine with playing him against the top teams, but when we have to break down teams like yesterday or last week, then I think either of Cesc, RLC or Barkley are a better option. 

Edited by True Blue23

28 minutes ago, True Blue23 said:

I didn't like him too much either. He was good defensively, I'll give him that, but I think we need an attacking threat next to Kante and Jorginho and he just isn't that. He doesn't take enough risks, doesn't get into good attacking positions. I'm fine with playing him against the top teams, but when we have to break down teams like yesterday or last week, then I think either of Cesc, RLC or Barkley are a better option. 

I think it's important to remember Kovacic had no preseason, and is adapting to a new league. Despite that he's played well, and he is big reason why our press was so effective yesterday.

Barkley hasnt looked more of an attacking threat in his starts, Kovacic has better vision and movement, which allows Alonso more freedom aswell. 

RLC did well when he came on other than one incident in our area, but he isn't exactly a massive goal threat either, and he doesn't come close to kovacic tactically of defensively.

Fabregas would be more a threat, but we would be vulnerable down that left side, and he can't press anymore. 

Kovacic adds more to the team than any of the other options in my opinion.

Totally agree, I like him a lot and i think hes the perfect player for our system. When hes fully fit i think he will move on another gear. Cesc just doesnt have the legs for the press and RLC doesnt pose enough of an assertive figure. Maybe he needs more time. Barkley ive been happy with so far though, and for now id rotate the two.

Looks tidy in possession and isn’t afraid to get stuck in with a tackle.

Not seen enough of him to have an overly strong opinion yet. Would like to see him become a bigger threat in the final third, taking on shots and looking to play others in.

There doesn’t seem to be much of a goal threat from our midfield at the moment and Kovacic is the one you’d hope will start chipping in with a few.