Sign in to follow this  
michaelchels1992

Fa cup banners

I remember seeing footage of the 1967 Cup Final and reading one which said "Charlie Cooke for Prime Minister".

Personally, I'm slightly sceptical about them as they run the risk of being cringey. Look at some of the ones that Liverpool ones have made in recent years. More often than not they're attempts of quirky humour which fall flat or some typically over-sentimental tripe which just sounds mawkish and sickly. So perfect for them.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:30, michaelchels1992 said:

What happened to all the fa cup banners? Doing a design project on the best FA cup banners of the past, anybody got any good memories, any great slogans? anyone think we should bring them back?

mexico.jpg

Glad I wasn't standing behind them!. Bloke just to the left of flag, wearing a Trilby & glasses, for you 'old un's' on here like me, looks like Harry Worth!!.

Posted (edited)

During the summer watched some of the documentaries on previous world cups, Spain  82 England v France in Bilbao, when England score 2nd goal in front of French fans, right at the front is a Tunbridge wells union jack with Chelsea on it and a large group of lads start celebrating amongst the French fans! Remember watching Mexico 86 on tv as a teenager and before the infamous Argentina quarter final the cameras pan around outside the ground watching fans enter the stadium and a huge union jack with Mitcham Chelsea is being paraded around by a group of lads

Edited by chi blue
Spelling

19 minutes ago, chi blue said:

During the summer watched some of the documentaries on previous world cups, Spain  82 England v France in Bilbao, when England score 2nd goal in front of French fans, right at the front is a Tunbridge wells union jack with Chelsea on it and a large group of lads start celebrating amongst the French fans! Remember watching Mexico 86 on tv as a teenager and before the infamous Argentina quarter final the cameras pan around outside the ground watching fans enter the stadium and a huge union jack with Mitcham Chelsea is being paraded around by a group of lads

During the 82 game England run the French out and by the end of the game there are loads of empty seats 

It’s gotta be 30 years plus since Wembley banned banners- health and safety killjoys put pay to that.

That naff one at the Bridge made me squirm- WE OWN LONDON, with a silhouette of Tower Bridge. Obviously the product of some in club marketing idiot. Naff as hell IMO.

A few years back a Man Utd fan got badly cut at Everton. When they played later that year Everton took in a banner which read “ Jobe. How’s your arse”

Charming....

9 hours ago, Ewell CFC said:

It’s gotta be 30 years plus since Wembley banned banners- health and safety killjoys put pay to that.

That naff one at the Bridge made me squirm- WE OWN LONDON, with a silhouette of Tower Bridge. Obviously the product of some in club marketing idiot. Naff as hell IMO.

A few years back a Man Utd fan got badly cut at Everton. When they played later that year Everton took in a banner which read “ Jobe. How’s your arse”

Charming....

Makes me wonder about when Rafa was here with people bringing banners about 'Rafa out' and also with Vialli when he was going through that tough patch.

On ‎09‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 14:30, michaelchels1992 said:

What happened to all the fa cup banners? Doing a design project on the best FA cup banners of the past, anybody got any good memories, any great slogans? anyone think we should bring them back?

mexico.jpg

Remember my Dad and uncles going down with local supporters bus for Chopper Harris testimonial v Rangers,brought me back a programme,Chelsea pennant and Rossette,I was nine,still got programme up loft.