Sign in to follow this  
big blue

Rate our transfer window

Thought if just see how we all thought things have turned out.

Jorginho is a great purchase, I think he will be key for sarri implementing his style and tactics.

Kepa was a real statement of intent, however maybe we wouldve been better paying slightly less for allison 6 weeks ago, and overall it is possibly a downgrade in the short term, until kepa has settled.

Kovacic is great short term signing although I remain sceptical with no option to buy. If he plays sh*t we could probably sign him at the end of the season, if he plays well, madrid will take him back.

Disappointed we didn't add more firepower, as I think we lack goal scorers and match winners. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Willian martial swap rumours resurface in January. 

We havnt really sold much of the dead wood either, plenty of loan fees coming in, but I think we could've got money for 1 or 2 more. Bakayoko will no doubt be back next season, when Milan don't take the option up to sign him.

I think we have definately gained ground on United and Spurs, so the squad right now is good enough to finish top 4, however I don't think we have enough firepower to push City and possibly Liverpool.

I'm giving the window a decent 6.5/10.

Posted (edited)

3/10

Kepi for Courtois is a straight swap - possibly an expensive downgrade - while I absolutely detest the idea of simply polishing Real Madrid's gem for them then obsequiously handing him back to our bosses at the end of it.

Jorginho is great but alone not enough as we also needed a truly top quality centre back and a younger top-notch attacking midfielder. Even a striker if I was to be extra greedy.

Edited by Fatty_Speeding

The two most important things we had to do this window were, in order:

1. Keep Hazard

2. Sign at least 2 quality midfielders

We accomplished both of those things but Kovacic was not a straight up buy or loan-to-buy deal so I will dock a point for that.  We also did not get a goalscorer in so we get docked another point.  We haven't sold any of our dead weight so we get docked another point.  Brought in a manager with nice attacking football, so I add a point. 

IMO we are at 8/10. If we sell some players or loan them out we will go 8.5 or 9 out of 10.  A big deadline day signing would get us to a near perfect window.  

Tough to tell depending on what rumors were actually true.

I'd consider it a negative if Chelsea turned down £50M+ for Willian without getting a younger player in with potential, including some of the players we were linked with.

Bakayoko and Fabergas in the 3-5-2 were just awful. So getting Jorginho and Kovacic to replace those two is a tremendous piece of business.

Overspent on a Goalie, but it's nice to know we can still do that. And a 7 year deal makes it look like good business.

There never seemed to be a viable striker option we were linked to. I thought  £60M for Higuain was madness considering how our board operates. It's not that he wouldn't improve the club, it's just that he's a rental at his age, and it means we lost that money for the long term.

I think we're top 4 last year with this club, so hopefully we'll be Top 4 again.

I like the 6.5 rating as well.

+++ Upgrading the midfield
+ Getting a long term replacement for Courtois
++ Hanging on to Hazard

- Failing to cash in on Willian
- Not upgrading the attack

Still too many average players......they will do a job but will not give you titles. We cant right the wrongs in 1 summer, so this is a decent start. The likes of baka, zapa, drinky, luiz etc are not Chels standard.

And Willian himself admitted there was a bid from barca......why not do a deal and get fekir or martial. If barca indeed bid 55m up. If we gel, top4 is gonna happen. So decent tranfers but needed that bit more.

5 out of 10.
We addressed our problems in midfield but failed to do so in defence and attack.
Really, really needed another goalscorer as well as another CB at the very least.

Overall we improved the squad to a much greater degree than I expected. 

The only real gap is CF. But: (a) I am not aware of anyone having been available this transfer window  (b) It's quite a big ask to expect club to write Morata off after one season.

So fair enough, I guess. We'll just have to wait for him to confirm beyond reasonable doubt that he is useless. 

(Having said that I was seriously tempted to pick him for fantasy football. Who knows... :) Only having a limit of 3 Chelsea payers stopped me.)

4/10.

Everyone knew Conte was a goner after last season.

Jorginho is exciting. Plus 1.

Sarri too. Plus 1.

Held on to Kante and Hazard. Plus 1.

Plus points only for these.

Kepa is an expensive swap/downgrade on Courtois. Long term deal though. No points.

Should have cashed in on Willian. Minus 1.

Did absolutely nothing to ship out one or two expensive deadwood permanently. Minus 2. 

Didn't address the striker's problem. Glaring deficiency. Minus 2.

Didn't address either wing. Minus 2.

Didn't address the CB position. Minus 1.

Posted (edited)

The older core of the team will be slower and more pedestrian compared to last season. That includes four or five players.

We added one quality player in Jorginho.

And one player on a loan deal. 

Has our squad improved at all? Barely.

Edited by Lord

People calling Kepa a downgrade are totally missing the context.

On the face of it yes, on the face of it Courtois and De Gea are much better than Ederson but you reckon City would swap the Brazilian for either? We have lost a top keeper who didn't want to be here and there was question marks if he could suit Sarri's system and replaced him with one who is a certain fit and wants to be here.

2 minutes ago, Lord said:

The older core of the team will be slower and more pedestrian compared to last season. That includes four or five players.

We added one quality player in Jorginho.

And one player on a loan deal. 

Has our squad improved at all? Barely.

Who are the older core? 

5/10 - and I think I’m being generous.

I think the last couple of days have completely clouded peoples assessment of this transfer window.

Kepa was a direct replacement for Tibo and would never have taken place had he not went on strike.

Jorginho looks good, it’ll be interesting to see how he adapts to the league over here.

Kovacic is only a loan signing with no option to buy apparently, so if he becomes integral to the way we play. Real will never sell him if he does well.

Sarri was left really late considering the writing on the wall was there for months. 

We kept Hazard which was most important but yet again we’ve failed to address the RW position, that’s been about 3 years on the trot.

The fact Willian confirmed there was offers for him and we’ve rejected them (rumoured to be over £65m!!)

1 hour ago, Lord said:

4/10.

Should have cashed in on Willian. Minus 1.

Did absolutely nothing to ship out one or two expensive deadwood permanently. Minus 2. 

Didn't address either wing. Minus 2.

I guess we are grading on what has happened today, but there is still time to ship players out to other countries. So I might give an incomplete on that if I was giving points...

I think CHO fills a need as a backup to Hazard. So I wouldn't say either Wing. I'm pretty happy with Hazard/CHO at LW.

Looks like you dock double points for failing to cash in on Willian AND failing to address RW. But that's semantics. 

Some very mixed responses in here.  I'm in the delighted camp myself.  It could have been better for sure (a new winger/attacker would have made this an amazing period) but I think we've improved our midfield to the point where, on paper, it's at the very least the second best in the EPL.  I still think City's is better, but we surely have United, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool covered. 

Jorginho was a key signing that kick started it all.  He's easily the most important player we picked up as he knows Sarri's system inside out and he'll get that midfield ticking.  Really excited to see him in full flight once he gets settled into the English football, but this was a fantastic signing.  To make it better we basically stole him from under the nose of City.

The massive fee of Kepa does not worry me at all.  We've signed him on a 7 year contract, which is a brilliant show of faith for such a young and promising keeper.  If he lives up to his potential he could be a top 2 or 3 keeper in the world in a couple of years time, and even then we still have him tied down for five years!

The Kovacic one has people divided, but I welcome it.  We needed another quality midfielder to compliment Jorginho and Kante and with us not having CL football this is by far the best result we could have got.  I understand people's frustrations about there being no option to buy and we're just developing Madrid's player, but I don't see it that way.  He's going to be a big factor in us getting back into the CL next season which I feel is the most important thing here.

Keeping Hazard and Kante was also hugely important, probably more important than any signing we made.  Losing one, or god forbid both, would have set us right back.  They almost feel like new signings themselves in a way and I think they will both thrive under Sarri.

To put a number on this transfer period I'd say a solid 7.5/10.  Signing either Fekir or Martial would have pushed that right up towards a 10, but over all I'm really excited with the squad, especially under Sarri, going into the season!

Very good assessment, Michael, agree with much of what you said. It should be noted that RLC and Abraham are staying with us and CHO, despite his age, has impressed the new manager so they're also good additions to the squad. Yes, we haven't addressed ALL the issues but does that ever happen?! We also have Ampadu who's impressed as well so there are a lot of positives in regards to our current squad. People focus on the negatives so much...

Yeah it's genuinely mind boggling how negative some people are.

We've finally got the coach who will revolutionise our play and backed him with three strong players who'll suit the playing style. It's all very well saying we didn't score enough goals last season when that was under a very defensive style and with a number of disillusioned players.

It would have been nice to have added a new attacking player just to freshen everything up but I guess the target wasn't available.

Easily the best transfer window we've had in years and I'm looking forward to see the evolution over the next few months.

8/10

It was ok. Hazard's still here so I'm happy.

Jorginho (and Kovacic) will be a massive upgrade on Bakayoko/Cesc in central midfield. I understand that RLC is also staying so our midfield has more and better options this season.

It seems that Kepa, while not necessarily a 'better' keeper than Courtois yet, has great potential and will probably offer more in terms of distribution.

I don't think we needed to strengthen the defence. We have a good bunch of central defenders, and Azpilicueta is still a quality right back. Maybe the left back position is a weak point, it's hard to say because I've not seen Palmieri or Alonso enough in that position to judge.

For the forward positions it's still not clear if Batshuayi will be here or not. I hope so, he deserves another chance at least, and maybe his presence will give Morata the kick up the arse he needs. Glad to hear that CHO is likely to play a role this season. Hazard's still the main main and I think Pedro and Willian will do better under Sarri's style of playing.

Obviously the main change is going to be down to the manager. I'm not expecting instant glory but am looking forward to at least seeing us play some entertaining football this season.

3 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

I think we still have until the end of the month to loan out players so Tammy and RLC might still go.

Abroad though? I don't see it.