Sign in to follow this  
big blue

Rate our transfer window

6/10

The Courtois sale overshadows the window a lot. We didn't get a lot of money for such a highly rated, even being in the final 12 months of a contract players still command large fees and I feel like we got the bad end of that deal for once. 

Kepa is an interesting buy, it was a statement signing as much as anything, the club determined not to look weak in the aftermath of the Courtois sale. It's a hell of a lot of money for a player with very little top level playing experience. Is he worth the tens of millions more quality wise then say Jack Butland? Time will tell on that one. A lot of pressure on him to perform now though. 

Rob Green as a homegrown, third choice, goalkeeper is sensible business in my opinion. 

We were clearly chasing a centre back early in the window, why nothing came of that I don't know and we go into the season with no clear preferred pairing so it's going to be interesting to see how that plays out. 

Midfield was a mess last season and the relatively quick capture of Jorginho was good business. When you look at the fees being paid for some players (Richarlison's move to Everton costing up to £50m as an example), I think we did well to secure him for the money we did. 

Still uncertainty over whether the Kovacic loan includes and option to buy, looking more likely it doesn't. It's a move that helps us in the short term, we desperately needed to improve our midfield options because we couldn't afford going into the new season with having to give Bakayoko considerable game time. 

Based on pre-season the team still looks like it's going to struggle for goals this season, same as last year and I think failing to sign any new attackers, right wing or centre forward is going to hinder us. We don't have any one player you feel confident could score us 20 goals this season and you've got to wonder where the goals are going to come from. 

I don't think we've done well with player sales. Yes the transfer window is still open for the rest of Europe but it looks like nearly every player who is going to leave is going to do so on loan. ZoumaBatshuayi, Bakayoko all look set to leave on loan by the end of the month. Drinkwater is still here and you can't imagine him going abroad, so looks like he'll be sticking around even though I can't see him getting many minutes beyond injuries and suspensions. Same goes for Victor Moses, I just don't see where he fits in now, he's probably our worst option as a winger and doesn't seem to be viewed as a full-back by Sarri. 

Keeping hold of Hazard and Kante despite interest from Real Madrid and PSG respectively was important as those two are our best and most important players.

It will be interesting to see how Sarri does developing are younger prospects with Hudson-Odoi and Ampadu impressing during pre-season, will they get many opportunities and is Loftus-Cheek going to struggle for minutes given the amount of competition he has for a place in midfield. 

TL:DR. Our midfield options look much better this season but I think we're lacking quality and goals in attack. Question marks over our central defence, do we have a quality, reliable pairing? Kepa is a long-term signing but is he going to struggle to adjust to the new league/country like we saw previously with De Gea at United as an example?

1 minute ago, Giordano_Bruno said:

Yes, but it is going to be because of the system, not because of the quality of the players. Anyway, I think the sun will shine on Luiz again and Rudiger is also pretty quick and strong, so I believe we'll be fine. A bigger concern of mine is the backs - Alonso's speed and Azpilicueta's incapability of making good, deep runs. 

Yes, so surely the club had to plan for going from a ultra defensive manager in Conte to ultra offensive in Sarri?
Luiz never have and never will work in a back four, and while Alonso is a good wingback he's clearly terrible at LB. Not quick enough to get up and support the attack and then get back to defend.
Not even Azpi is well suited to this system. You need the Walker/Mendy type of fullback that City have at the moment.

I'd rate our defence 3/10, midfield 8/10 and attack 6/10 right now.

I'd give it a solid 8 or 9 of 10. 

We got the perhaps most pivotal player from Sarris Napoli side in Jorginho. He's gonna go directly into the core of our midfield, and he know the system. That's huge for Sarri.

We knew Courtois might leave, and the fact that we replaced him with one of the most exiting goalkeeping talents in the world is just phenomenal. I don't even care that he cost us £70M. It gets even better by the fact that Courtois new club offered us af brilliant central midfielder who's probably worth around £60-70M for free for a year. 

Personally I believe that the only thing that could've made the window even better would be if we had gotten a better left back or striker. Maybe even af new centre back - if that's want Sarri wanted. 

Now it's time for a transition season, and hopefully our true potential will start showing either next year, or sometime throughout this season. I think we'll have a lot of ups and downs this year - but oh my, I'm looking forward to this season.

Rating a transfer window before you have even started seems very hit or miss. This time last year we were ,in the main, happy with our transfer window. By Christmas that had all changed and we thought that summer window was the worst in our modern history.

Kepper  - 9/10 

Midfield - 8/10 ( bit overloaded here )

Striker - -100000000000000000000000......000000000000000000000000000000000000000000023882 +++++++ f*cked up here well and truly 

Can't really rate the transfer window yet, players have to start playing and after a few months we can really rate their performances and see if we got the right players or failed in our signings.

I can't really say that the signings we made can make me confident, we surely need two more upgrades ( Striker and defender ). We just have signed the most expensive goalkeeper and I'm not really confident with that also. I only heard about him for good but never seen him play, to be honest. 

Jorginho is a quality signing, I can understand why Pep wanted him. We have a player to build our game on, but he needs a good trio in front, we can be a really strong team with him. 

Kovacic is a very good player, personally, I rate him, but he isn't really a good goalscorer. If Sarri will find him a proper spot in our team, then we've got a really good player, if he will be back up, then we will fail with this one. 

Rob Green wasn't needed, Bulka seems like a very talented goalkeeper which need to get minutes for our team.

It's very rare you get goalies that young going for that much.

This dude is sharp. :iDEa:

The Big Bang was big. It's very rare you get bangs that big.

Solid 7.5 for effort but I still think we're a long way short of challenging for the title, if we make top 4 it will be because our rivals underperformed - our defence looks leaky and I don't think we'll score enough goals.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Paul Merson has a terrible grasp on football. That he gets paid for his opinion is grossly offensive. 

It was barely even an assessment.  He spoke more about Kepa's fee and then said we are screwed if Madrid come in for Hazard and Kante (which they won't, and even if they do there is no chance we even entertain the idea).  Barely any mention of Jorginho or Kovacic.

Edited by Michael

2 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Paul Merson has a terrible grasp on football. That he gets paid for his opinion is grossly offensive. 

DkMwNhnX4AAYV9t.jpg:large

Read the rest of the teams reviews. In nearly every one he says he hasn't heard of any of the signings! Not sure how he can even give an opinion with such limited knowledge of the subject he's writing about. 

All in all I think it was a good window. Could have been really good had we addressed the striker/goal scoring issue. 

We have only lost the sulking Courtois, who has been replaced with what I believe was the best option was available (at great cost). We could have ended up with Butland or Schmeichel. We were in a tricky situation, and the club threw a lot of money at the problem. It remains to be seen how good Kepa is (or can be), but I am happy we went for him. 

Jorginho is a fantastic signing in every respect. It's a real simple one given Sarri is our Manager, and what we are trying to achieve. 

Kovacic looks class from what I have seen. By all accounts he fits the bill to slot into the midfield trio. I have high hopes for him, and I think it was a fairly crucial signing to give Sarru what he needs. An option to buy would have been nice, but I am not too bothered. Let's worry about that next summer, there is a lot o work to be done in the meantime. If we want him, and he wants to stay, then I am sure we can make it happen. Madrid have a lot of midfield options now, and still will next summer I am sure. 

We have also added CHO, and RLC to the first team squad. I am excited by this. I think there will be chances for both of them and I really hope we see what they can do. 

We are much stronger than last season, there is no doubt about it. 

I would like to have resolved the striker situation, because I just don't think we have anyone who is capable of doing the business for us, and that is a massive problem. Everywhere else in the squad I think there is enough talent to work with. Sure, there are areas where we could have improved, but I think Sarri should be capable of working with what we have got. 

5 hours ago, big blue said:

Read the rest of the teams reviews. In nearly every one he says he hasn't heard of any of the signings! Not sure how he can even give an opinion with such limited knowledge of the subject he's writing about. 

Isnt that just what he does for them? Giving his opinion the same way the guy next to you on a pub, would give his?  He is useless in my opinion, cant really take him seriously tbh.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, terraloon said:

This sort of posting intrigues me and dare I say like the majority of posters  on other sites and indeed journalists is a little narrow in its perspective.

First let’s look at the claim that we have downgraded in terms of goalkeeper and also the process was chaotic.

I along with no doubt 99% of those commenting on the skill set of our new keeper have absolutely no idea as to his personal qualities but one thing is for sure Courtois has an annoying habit of winding people up.

he's wound up chelsea supporters and atletico supporters over the move, but I'm not sure you can really make the reach you're attempting to here. 

I have worked with numerous individuals over the years that had undoubted skills and  because they delivered better than average results management tended to ignore their manner and behaviour. When for whatever reason those individuals moved on the remaining members of that teams moral improved and maybe not immediately but very quickly the team as a functioning unit improved. We may or indeed may not have downgraded our keeper but for me his attitude in public stank the place out and for that reason alone I am glad he has been moved on. 

what evidence do you have that any of courtois' colleagues feel this way? it is a reach, as I say. you're conflating how you feel (rightly or wrongly) with how you presume his colleagues feel.

Hidden  away in a Sky report yesterday and something that has been ignored but it seems that Kepa was always our number 1 target and discussions with his old team around a month ago. The club identified his talent and wrote a massive cheque not really the signs  of a club in decline.

As for polishing Reals gem. I have heard this elsewhere and can’t help but shake my head in disbelief 

Real are a far bigger club than us and we have a player on loan the reasons there isn’t an option to buy is two fold one they genuinely don’t want to be committed to selling him but just as important any option would stipulate a price and in 12 months who knows what they would value him in a rising market or we would value him having gauged how he settled and performed in or indeed want him at the end of the loan.

having a an option to buy in a loan contract does not mean you HAVE to spend that much if you want to sign the player. it merely gives you the knowledge that if the player is successful there is a fee at which you know you will be able to negotiate with the player to sign on a permanent basis.  it isn't the same thing as a compulsory clause to buy.  the way it would work is real benefit by getting his wages off their books (plus perhaps a loan fee), he would benefit from the increased opportunities to play, and we would have some assurance that if it is a mutually successful transfer, we could make it a long term arrangement.

real are a bigger club than us, always were, and always will be. but we were once a better squad, a better side, and had genuine ambitions of competing with them. now we are not. going from where we were then to where we are now is the definition of decline. we've taken a big step back from that, and that is no longer even in service to a long term goal like building a new stadium. I am comfortable with that, but I'm not going to enter into any kind of self deception. the imperial phase in chelsea's history is over, it was a pleasure to witness and I'm looking forward to some fun football this season. but we are domestically an also ran and internationally a footnote.

Irrespective we loan out dozens of players year on year and to take the view that brining in a loan player is wrong based on some sort of view that all we are doing is develop someone else’s player for me smacks a little bit of hypocrisy 

why? the point, when we loan out a player like tammy abraham to bristol city, is that the club taking him on loan could not dream of doing so on any other basis. chelsea exist in a different stratum. loaning a player like kovacic, with no assurance that we could sign him, is in no way the same.

no clubs near the top of the food chain loan players of kovacic's age (unless they are intended to be squad filling back up) without some kind of option to sign them.

I don't know why it is a controversial or even necessarily a negative thing to state: we have declined. most clubs do. even the absolute top clubs have their fallow phases. we were never in that group, which in part reduces our chances of returning to where we were. I don't think we will, and I'm comfortable enough with that. I don't think being a supporter of one of those mega-clubs is necessarily very nourishing for the soul, and I expect to leave the bridge giddy from some of the football I've seen maybe once a month this season. that will be good enough for me, especially after manchester city away last season, which was a game that took me close to completely and permanently falling out of love with football.

Edited by g3.7

You have to be some special sort of Idiot to think that Chelsea will now sell Hazard or Kante without any way of bringing a replacement in.

Also how much money would Madrid get from the sale of a 32 year old Modric that they will be able to convince Chelsea to part with there best two players. It would realistically cost about £125m to buy either of them.

Does merson really think Modric sale will bring in 200m to real? Complete Idiot.

We're not a 'clown club',:laugh2: we had one bad transfer window that set us back last season, we did well to win the FA cup, and now we've managed to hold onto Eden, Willian, Kante, got rid of Bakayoko and brought in Jorginho, and replaced a moody Courtois with a fantastic prospect in Kepa. You can guarantee (bar injury) Kovacic is going to be a handy asset this season, even if we can't keep him, we have a better chance of getting top 4 with him about the team this season.

It's been a decent if easy start, could of done with a Morata goal. I'm still excited Tammy is in the squad, he may click around these top players, just give him time and watch him shine. CHO another break through youngster, and what a prospect he is going to be, we could be talking about the English Eden Hazard right there.

So sod off with your clown club remarks. :laugh2:

I think it was a very nice transfer window, but I prefer quality over quantity.

I wouldn't trade kante/jorginho for any pair of center mids in the premiership, maybe even all europe right now.  kroos, modric, casemiro and isco are great... but I'm not sure any of those 2 replacing kante/jorginho make us better.

Jorginho was huge from what I've seen so far, looks to be a top 10 player in the premiership this year.  The need for a young attacker went way down IMO opinion with how well CHO played, think Martial would just be in the way.  CHO still needs to be signed to a senior contract, so keeping Willian over others... keeps us relevant for now, but keeps the spot open for CHO who I believe will be world class.

As far as the GK situation, think it was handled very well knowing Courtois would leave on free next year.   The way I look at it is a year of Kovacic traded for a year of Courtois and getting Kepa for 36 mil for 7 years. I'd do that all day.  Would have been nice if Courtois would have inked up long term, but that didn't seem to be an option.

Getting CHO inked long term is more valuable than any of the wide attackers that could have been signed, all just seemed to be needless blocks. 

Morata needs to get better or replaced in January, but think he deserves a bit of a shot.